aberdeen-music

Albums/Music 2017

kirsten

Fuck their label though, Static Shock. Bought a Sheer Mag shirt from them, and the guy has just gone AWOL. No shirt arrived. Doesn't respond to messages/emails, even though he's still posting SS stuff on their social media sites. Had to raise it via Paypal, and he still doesn't respond.

NOT PUNX.

Tyler, The Creator - Flower Boy is out. Loving this. The album is more 911 than it is Who Dat Boy.

But all in all, it's very Cherry Bomb. Which hasn't came out on vinyl yet. Hoping it's because it'll be released as a double album with all the documentary stuff they made for it too.

1 hour ago, Soda Jerk said:

WARBRINGER have a new album out, if you dig THRASH that is totally trad, tinged with a bit of hardcore punk and fast as all hell. It's totally great.

Speaking of hardcore, TUI have released a new album. And I'm sure I saw somewhere Converge have too.

Didn't think much of the track they did with Big Narstie, but holy jesus, I'm absolutely loving this. New album coming out in September and the deluxe* version has been preordered.

*deluxe preorder, which was £70, includes: Album on 12" vinyl (mint or silver, mint is ltd to 1000, with lyric book), 12" EP of non-album singles from the past couple of years (clear), album on cassette tape, album on cd, a t-shirt or longsleeve and slipmats.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

Sounds nastier than Wreck. Digging.

Annoyingly, their Europe tour only comes as far as London. Boourns. 

Yeah, it's good. They seem to hate coming over here which makes my decision to go to Newcastle to catch them with Big Business in 2012 seem even wiser than it did at the time. Have you heard the OHHMS record from earlier in the year? It's good too, from the doomier side of sludge.

I'm also glad I've seen them. Though not with Big Business. That wins.

I've not heard the new Ohhms record. Or much new doom in general. I will give it a spin.

I'm not in to reunion records but Quicksand have a new album coming soon. Slip is still an all time great, so I hope the new un is good. Live footage of their reunion shows sounded a bit tame though, so I don't have high hopes. I hope they prove me wrong. 

• 4 weeks later...

hot-water-music-light-it-up.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

New HWM record.

Verdict after 2 plays through: Zzzzzzz.

It sounds like a bad Foo Fighters album. Everything about it is boring. The only positive is that it's slightly better than Exister, which was just an electric Chuck Ragan record, pretty much. This sounds a lot more like the band than Exister did, but it's just... so... boring. I haven't been into anything they've done since Caution, and I haven't really liked anything they've done since A Flight and a Crash. They're one of the best bands I've seen live, and back then their show was just so intense. They used to only play for 25 minutes, but there's no way they could play longer. Hard to believe they're making music as tame as this now.

Image result for western addiction tremulous

This record has been "coming soon" for years now. Loved Cognicide a lot, which came out 12 years ago! This is quite different. Still got that ripping 80s hardcore thing going on, but with a lot more boisterous ROCK. Gets better with every listen. Best punk LP of the year so far for me. That will possibly change when Propagandhi record comes out in two weeks.

Image result for big brave ardor

I've read two reviews of this and both make reference to early Swans and Bjork. I'd say that's pretty spot on. Funnily enough, the first comment on this record on their Bandcamp page says the same! Great record. I'd not heard them before. I didn't know what to expect, but it certainly wasn't this.

New Loincloth comes out in 2 weeks too. New track sounds great

Enter Shikari's new album, The Spark, is out on Friday. And it's fucking amazing. Really loved it. It's very different. So those who didn't like them when they first started may actually enjoy the new stuff more. A lot more polished and mature. I got to hear it early to review it. 

(shameless plug)

http://indulge-sound.com/2017/09/15/review-the-spark-enter-shikari/

But seriously, i can't really say too much right now about it, but it's my album of the year easy. Haven't enjoyed a full record this much in a good while. 

Trying to catch up on 2017 releases I've not heard yet.

Spun the new(ish) Joey Badass record yesterday. It's called All AmeriKKKan Badass, further emphasising his badassery. 

What the hell happened? It's not at all badass. He's gone pop as fuck. Kid can still rhyme, but there's too much singing and RnB nonsense. That first mixtape still totally rips. IMO everything he's done since has been slightly less good than what came before it.  3 and a half thumbs down.

Gave a couple of goes to the new M.O.D. record that's been delayed forever and finally came out this year. Y'all know I am all about crossover thrash, no matter how generic and trite, but this is a bit of a stinker. Love those first 4 records. They've been terrible for ages. Billy says this is the last record they'll do. Good. Avoid.

17 hours ago, Mr Owl PhD said:

I'm really liking the new album by Alvvays.  It seems to have had pretty mixed reviews but it's just top tunes from start to finish.  What else are people looking for?

I absolutely love it. A nice follow-up to their s/t and gets better with repeat listens.

Just the perfect band for me - ticks every box: solid melodies, interesting harmonies, poppy, punky, incredible bass work (underappreciated, in fact!) and synths that are well placed and sit so well with everything else. And an impeccable lead vocal live.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...