aberdeen-music

Sampling

Jaaakkkeee

So I've decided to get back in to music production. There's some sampling I want to do but whats the way to go about it?

I've seen some bands sell EPs with soundbites and thought "they didn't get clearance" (Nai Harvest) but then you hear stories about The Chariot getting full clearance for the Chaplin soundbite they used. I get the gist that if I give it away the worst that will happen is being told to take it down. Is that the worst? What do I do?

I think I've done some sort of sampling in nearly every band I've been in. I've never considered the legality of it. Bands infinitely more popular than any band I'll ever been in have done heaps of sampling (Dillinger Four, Please Inform The Captain This is a Hijack etc) and I'd doubt they have gotten any sort of permission.

Just rip it. In the highly unlikely event you get a cease and desist, comply with it. But I'd be surprised if you hear from anyone about it.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

I think I've done some sort of sampling in nearly every band I've been in. I've never considered the legality of it. Bands infinitely more popular than any band I'll ever been in have done heaps of sampling (Dillinger Four, Please Inform The Captain This is a Hijack etc) and I'd doubt they have gotten any sort of permission.

Just rip it. In the highly unlikely event you get a cease and desist, comply with it. But I'd be surprised if you hear from anyone about it.

cheers.

what about sampling other songs? think i'm more or less likely to get caught doing that? 

Are you going to be sampling melodies/loops and remixing them? I guess it could depend on how much you change and distort it. If it's dead obvious what the sampled song is, then that might be a bit trickier. Change the key, the tempo etc.

I guess it would also depend on how you release the music. Will it be free, or are you going to be putting  price on it?

Though this is in no way legal advice, but just speaking from a logical point of view. Worst case scenario, you get a cease and desist, but it seems unlikely.

If you put anything on soundcloud it might get flagged. They have some fingerprinting technology that will pick up on a sample.

Alternatively, you could pretend all your music is a clever parody, in which case you can use anything you want. I think that's right? You can use and transform work without consent if it's a commentary or parody.

13 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Are you going to be sampling melodies/loops and remixing them? I guess it could depend on how much you change and distort it. If it's dead obvious what the sampled song is, then that might be a bit trickier. Change the key, the tempo etc.

I guess it would also depend on how you release the music. Will it be free, or are you going to be putting  price on it?

Though this is in no way legal advice, but just speaking from a logical point of view. Worst case scenario, you get a cease and desist, but it seems unlikely.

You know how it is, first one's free then you try and make some dolla off your work. Will be changing the samples but aye.

I heard theres a site/company that you sign up to (and pay) and it basically gives you rights to use certain songs, anyone heard of this?

19 hours ago, ca_gere said:

If you put anything on soundcloud it might get flagged. They have some fingerprinting technology that will pick up on a sample.

Alternatively, you could pretend all your music is a clever parody, in which case you can use anything you want. I think that's right? You can use and transform work without consent if it's a commentary or parody.

We've got a tune on soundcloud with tons o' samples, been up for a year with no problems.