aberdeen-music

Trump Wins

Lemonade

Day 1: Pa says they'll come round with bread soon but it's been 5 hours and we're beginning to not believe him. The baby in the corner won't stop crying. The rags her mum was able to grab before they rounded her up might not be warm enough to make it through the night. We've established a toilet corner, it smells so bad. The weaker among us have already been eaten. What's left of the rest of us will have to wait till sundown to know our fates. Sirens have been wailing all night. I'm cold.

• Upvote 12

44 minutes ago, ca_gere said:

Day 1: Pa says they'll come round with bread soon but it's been 5 hours and we're beginning to not believe him. The baby in the corner won't stop crying. The rags her mum was able to grab before they rounded her up might not be warm enough to make it through the night. We've established a toilet corner, it smells so bad. The weaker among us have already been eaten. What's left of the rest of us will have to wait till sundown to know our fates. Sirens have been wailing all night. I'm cold.

Can't give rep more than once. Corrupt, crooked system. #DrainTheSwamp. Etc, etc.

IMO, a huge share of the blame lies on the regressive left's shoulders, and I say that as a lifelong liberal. 

I think is really going to have an adverse knock on effect in mainstream western politics. With the large number of career politicians that will go with whatever way the wind is blowing, I think that the success of Trump (and UKIP) will see shifts towards the nastier side of right wing politics. I think this is being evidenced by the current attitudes of the Tories. God help us all.

I've already seen the Buchan Observer's headline "Aberdeenshire business owner wins presidential election" on fb, so there's that.

Otherwise, varying possibilities of bad; although I don't think Trump will (be able to) turn the US into the 3rd Reich any more than Obama was able to turn into somewhere where everyone is equal and prosperous (or where black people need not fear overly about the police shooting them, or everyone has access to first-world standard health care, even). And the guy can't change the demography he and his supporters seem to hate that much. It's going to be a shit four years both economically and geopolitically, though.

My reaction by this point is, just, fine, build that wall, and see how that goes. And I'm just wondering (echoing HMW about) whether in fours years those contesting Trump (from whichever side, and assuming he lasts that long) will be arguing "OK, so we tried the mentalist xenophobia and autarky thing, and it doesn't work, so..." or "listen, I'm going to be the one to really build that wall, and really make every thing great again; because Trump, he compromised just that little bit,  and look how shit everything's been."

19 hours ago, Hakuba Mountain Wizards said:

I think is really going to have an adverse knock on effect in mainstream western politics. With the large number of career politicians that will go with whatever way the wind is blowing, I think that the success of Trump (and UKIP) will see shifts towards the nastier side of right wing politics. I think this is being evidenced by the current attitudes of the Tories. God help us all.

http://johnpavlovitz.com/2016/11/09/heres-why-we-grieve-today/

this sums up my feelings at the moment.

Its been a weird few days. Probably the weirdest, most depressing few days I've ever experienced. I don't think it's an over-reaction to say it feels like a bereavement. Everyone I know is in complete shock. The disappointment and anger is palpable everywhere you go right now.

The worst part is the feeling of hopelessness. Been trying to think of things to do to make a difference. Gonna join the protests here in New York - which I know is like shouting 'I love ice cream' to other people who also love ice cream but maybe it'll spark something elsewhere, where people aren't so blue. Other than that, I've donated to planned parenthood and will sign every relevant petition that comes my way. Might tip a bin or two.

if this was France or Spain there'd be strikes and real action verging on civil disobedience. I want a bit of that. Americans are too scared to just fuck some shit up. The risks and consequences are too severe.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think people are pretty fed up with being called bigots and racists merely for saying that immigration to their countries should be cut and other "traditionally" non-racist ideas as well as voting for something seen as "right wing" - a lot of which are not even close to the "Nazi" ideals the media portrays.

In the UK it is considered racist to say that you want to cut immigration because the NHS is failing to cope, non UK taxpayers should have to more for education and healthcare , immigrants shouldn't get benefits until they've worked and paid taxes for 5 years, immigrants shouldn't be allowed to claim benefits for children abroad, people who cant speak the language shouldn't be allowed to work in the UK and that religious schools shouldn't exist.

It's getting ridiculous

This is one of the reasons Trump got elected, the other being that the democrats fixed it so that their only candidate who stood a chance against Trump had no chance whatsoever.

I'm glad it's Trump and not Clinton, it wasn't so much a vote for Trump as a vote for discontent with the establishment.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

The 'We wanted change' argument is utterly invalid. Encumbants were re-elected across the board - and there were plenty of other options. There were no wholesale changes à la tea party. If there were, I'd maybe have respect for the GOP. Stupid people were fed rhetoric they bought into.

Glenn Beck talked the most sense (outside of Rachel maddow) from the entire election night and he's anti-immigration, pro-life and all the rest.

People offended because they think they're being branded racist/sexist are the same people who are saying democrats pay lazy foreign people to not work. Neither is true. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MerryChristmas said:

I think people are pretty fed up with being called bigots and racists merely for saying that immigration to their countries should be cut and other "traditionally" non-racist ideas as well as voting for something seen as "right wing" - a lot of which are not even close to the "Nazi" ideals the media portrays.

In the UK it is considered racist to say that you want to cut immigration because the NHS is failing to cope, non UK taxpayers should have to more for education and healthcare , immigrants shouldn't get benefits until they've worked and paid taxes for 5 years, immigrants shouldn't be allowed to claim benefits for children abroad, people who cant speak the language shouldn't be allowed to work in the UK and that religious schools shouldn't exist.

It's getting ridiculous

This is one of the reasons Trump got elected, the other being that the democrats fixed it so that their only candidate who stood a chance against Trump had no chance whatsoever.

I'm glad it's Trump and not Clinton, it wasn't so much a vote for Trump as a vote for discontent with the establishment.

How do you feel about Catholic schools? How do you feel about people who move to the likes of Dubai without speaking a work of Arabic? "In the UK it is considered racist to say that you want to cut immigration" no it isn't. Who said that?

Edited by Gypsum_Fantastic
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, MerryChristmas said:

It's getting ridiculous

Immigration has fuck all to do with the failing NHS, the Tories are running it into the ground so they can sell it off. Can you give me a real life example of yourself being affected negatively by an immigrant using the NHS, having access to free schooling, claiming benefits or working in a job and not speaking English? Anything that caused a problem to you as a direct result.

It is pretty easy to blame immigrants or other people without a voice, when it is the corporate elite acting in their own interests destroying this countries services.

Clinton wasn't the only candidate with a chance, Bernie Sanders would have beaten Trump.

• Upvote 3

On 11/9/2016 at 9:38 AM, Stroopy121 said:

Might get a few good political punk records come out of it like we did during the Bush era? Unless Drumpf bans music.

xx

There's been a few good ones, but the vast majority of anti-trump music has been cringey so far. So you know, music is probably going to be really shit for the next four years.

14 hours ago, MerryChristmas said:

I'm not 100% sure I've got what you're saying with that, but: I think you're saying that Trump siding with Assad and Russia is both common sense and against what he said in the election campaign?

It's not. The guy has flaunted his infatuation with Putin his whole campaign (as well as his hatred of deash, fair enough). He has been called a stooge (I believe more precisely "useful idiot") of Putin by both mainstream commentators and former top intelligence personnel (and then there are the issues, which I won't even touch, that Putin's regime may have been "in touch" during his campaign, and that Putin's hackers targeted the Democrats, in that knife-edge contest). As for common sense, Obama has opposed both daesh (and other Islamist militias) and Assad, while refusing to directly intervene militarily (I won't get into it again, but the crossing of Obama's "red line", that is the use of chemical weapons, and then Obama doing nothing). The first I would regard as "common sense", the latter being a total, and dangerous, wuss.

Anyway there are not even third but forth parties in Syria, those being misc. secular forces and the Kurds respectively. The West should (and up to now, is - witness the rebuke by the EU, following the bombing of a red cross convoy, of all things, recently) oppose both daesh and the Assad regime (and by extension Russia), either nominally and indirectly via materiel support (which I think is the "common sense" minimum, and has been the case up to now) or militarily, in the (minimum; and IMO "common sense") form of air strikes and no-fly zones (which Cameron, in one of his redeeming moments, tried to enact; and that Clinton, as Secretary of  State, suggested, and, as president, might have executed).

Even from an ice-cold, fuck-everyone-else realist position, this approach pisses-off Turkey - SLIGHT issue there, which is why I don't think it's "common sense".

TLDR: what are you actually saying?; and if I'm correct in reading what you're saying, then you're plain wrong.

• Upvote 1

On 11 November 2016 at 2:19 AM, MerryChristmas said:

It's getting ridiculous

Why are right winged people so fucking scared of being called right wing? 

• Upvote 2