aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2017

Gypsum_Fantastic

12 hours ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

I haven't been playing! Not touched it for over six weeks. As soon as I'm back in the zone I will be sure to update.

If I win the lottery I'm going to pay you a handsome wage to make pop gems and play FM, because I love you very much.

8 hours ago, waltz said:

If I win the lottery I'm going to pay you a handsome wage to make pop gems and play FM, because I love you very much.

Have we discussed this before? Because if I win the lottery my genuine plan is to play FM all day and just pay myself the wage I 'get' in the game. Keep things interesting, you know?

• Upvote 1

Oh man. Being a full time FMer would be grand. You could watch the replays of full matches of upcoming opponents. Not just one game, but several, scout how they play, assess weaknesses, adjust your tactics to go at their weaknesses, shut down their most effective players. Smash them to pieces. Imagine having that time to invest in it.

Instead, I only get a couple of hours a night to go at it, so it's just:

Spacebar
Spacebar
Spacebar
West Brom (a)
Team Talk > Calm > You should be winning this match with no problem at all
1-3 W
Spacebar
Spacebar
Fakename Regenovic wants to discuss personal matters with you
Give us a game boss, yeah?
Nah, you're not that good
Wait 'til the press hears about this
Move to > Reserves
Spacebar
Spacebar
Best player injured 3 months out
Crystal Palace (h)
0-1 L

Repeat until I hate myself and turn it off.

• Upvote 5

Basically what these guys do: http://thesetpieces.com/gaming/

I'm still playing FM2013 because my laptop is a piece of shit and I get very little time to play it anyway so it's not worth trying anything newer. I'm in the summer of 2020 at the moment with my England team in the semi-finals of the Euros, preparing to go up against Switzerland for the chance to lose to Italy in the final. Domestically, I've been Middlesbrough manager for all 8 seasons. I guided them to promotion in my second attempt and have steadily risen the ranks of the Premier League year by year with my first top 4 finish in the 18/19 season followed up with a 2nd place finish in 19/20. Man Utd are unstoppable thanks to a front 3 of Neymar, James Rodriguez and Eden Hazard so there's no shame in not being able to keep up with them though next season I'm hoping to give it a good go.

My squad is mostly regens at this point aside as I went full on with the sign players under 20 with 5-star potential strategy after my first season in the EPL and thankfully as they've been improving my stature in world football has been keeping up so they haven't been snapped up by the big teams yet.

I'll try and do some screenshots of tactics and players next time I get a chance to play which might be tomorrow or might be some time in April, I don't know. It'll be a fun throwback for you 2017 players.

• Upvote 1

I'm playing a new save as Aberdeen at the moment, halfway through season 3. Finished 2nd and 2nd and currently 3rd,not done much in the cups but made it to the last 32 of the Europa League this season and last. Got absolutely destroyed by AC Milan last season, haven't seen my opponent for this season yet. Got off to a stinker at the start of this season after making sweeping changes to my tactics, apparently that was a bad move. 

Current top performers, Shinnie (captain), Ryan Jack, Stuart Bannigan, Jackson Irvine, Gary Mackay Stephen, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson, Aaron Dorrans. 

Mostly i play 4 1 2 3 (with DM and wingers) or 4 2 1 3 (with AM and wingers). High tempo, more direct passing, exploit the wings, hit early crosses, pump ball into box. McGinn or Rooney as lone striker (depending on if I want height or pace), Shankland filling in if one is injured. 

I also recently took over as Ireland manager. They're doing utter shit, big job ahead. 

I've never had it happen to me, but I am aware of it. They've had it coded in to the game for a number of years, and as you say, it has to be April 1st in both the game and in real life for it to happen.

Do they still have the feature in the game where if it's November in the game and IRL, your regen players start to grow moustaches?

• 3 months later...
7 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

Got a new laptop so should treat myself to a new Football Manager. Was there much change between 16 and 17? (I have 16). Or would I be as well wait for 18? (And buy Motorsport Manager in the meantime?) 

17 is the one I have played the least since 12, and noticed little difference between 16 and 17. There's nothing particularly wrong with 17, but I've been a bit bored of it in general.

It was dirt cheap in the Steam sale, so was definitely worth picking up then. Not sure how much it is now. You could wait for 18, but I have no idea what changes are due. Every year it's just 3D engine tweaks, some screens looking slightly different and one particular tactic being overpowered (12-14 possession ruled all. 15 onwards counter attack rules all).

Wish they'd go back to having kits on the tactics board, rather than those big hideous blocks.

On 7/14/2017 at 2:15 PM, Soda Jerk said:

Wish they'd go back to having kits on the tactics board, rather than those big hideous blocks.

IIRC there's a good third party skin that does this for you, worth looking out for.

I have been absolutely killing FM17 with my 'Derby' formation. Started a Dons game and won the league and league cup first season, league and Scottish cup second season. Now rolling in Champs' League money with £20m in the bank and a hefty transfer budget.

If anyone is interested in THE JOURNEY, I might be convinced to supply details and screenshots.

• Upvote 1

Always interested in details and screenshots!

Looking at other peoples' FM is almost better than playing FM.

I keep meaning to do a Director of Football game, where I employ a DoF, and give him all the transfer responsibilities, and I don't intervene. I just have to use whatever he buys (and sells!). Since the transfer AI in the game is total garbage, it should be a right laugh.

I decided to just stick with 16, however because I'm old fashioned and I don't use the cloud I lost all my saves so I had to start again. Took over Aston Villa, favourites to be relegated (the start of the Remi Garde season). A bloated squad full of new signings and about 6 Defensive Midfielders, transfer budget £0. I tried to move on some of the excess, Agbonglahor, N'Zogbia and a few others but no-one would buy them. In a panic I went to the board and asked for more money 3 days before the transfer deadline and they just gave me £30 million out of the blue. Added Mathieu Flamini and Will Hughes, because I needed more defensive midfielders (and I always sign Will Hughes) and Will Keane on loan, who isn't great but that was when I had 0 transfer budget and I needed a striker. I'm actually doing ok, sitting just in the bottom half, but my squad is way too big and I already have 3 players complaining they're not getting a game. I decided to go hardline this time. Let them step up and see just how serious I am etc. Agbonglahor can get to fuck, fat cunt. Carlos Sanchez can eat a dick too, he was going to get more games until he started moaning, now he's in the reserves and on the transfer list. 

Edited by Lemonade

Anyone know a way to disable attribute masking once you've started the game? I forgot to check the box when I was setting it up and it's getting on my tits. Don't want to have to start again over something so stupid, I don't even care about the attributes, but it makes your scouts absolutely useless. You scout someone and you still only get a vague idea whether they're any use or not. I know I could just scout them again but I tend to scout hundreds of players at a time. 

Edited by Lemonade

1 hour ago, Lemonade said:

Anyone know a way to disable attribute masking once you've started the game? I forgot to check the box when I was setting it up and it's getting on my tits. Don't want to have to start again over something so stupid, I don't even care about the attributes, but it makes your scouts absolutely useless. You scout someone and you still only get a vague idea whether they're any use or not. I know I could just scout them again but I tend to scout hundreds of players at a time. 

Also get better scouts.

But no, once the game has started you can't change it. The in-game editor will let you see all stats if you wish, though, but you have to pay (I think £3?) to enable the option.

• 4 weeks later...

I've another new game on the go, the League Of Ireland Premier Division as my local team Bohemians. That's a tough fucking league. I have 0 money, a wage budget of €4000 for my entire team and I'm only allowed to keep 15% of transfer revenue. It's a part time league, so the only players that want to play in it are the players that already play in it, it's a completely closed bubble, so it's incredibly difficult to improve your squad (the club will only let me scout players in Ireland anyway, I guess a Ryanair fare to the UK is out of budget).  My youth team is garbage and I'm only allowed 2 coaches, so I get fun decisions like do I need a goalkeeping coach or a fitness coach more? It's a hard league and I'm doing shit (currently 9th) but it's kind of fun. All the teams are pretty evenly matched so if you get your tactics right you can go on a good run (sadly tactical knowledge is my achilles heel). Recommend firing it up for a blast. The games come thick and fast too, 2 a week so you race through the season. 

Edited by Lemonade

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

I didn't know there was an editable injury database!

In the first one I played (96/97ish when you could only manage in England or Italy) you could edit the commentary. I had a long standing two player game with my mate Wayne and he edited it all without telling me, one afternoon I went round to his house to play and suddenly it was saying "Roberto Baggio is through on goal, and he's MISSED BY MILES the useless fat cunt" 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Football Manager 2018 has added the feature where, very rarely, a regen will publicly identify as homosexual. Apparently it boosts your merchandise revenue, which seems a bit weird.

Predictably, the internet's response to this is harrowing. If you see a tweet/post about it, you should not read the replies. I made that mistake. Lots of reaction gifs of gagging and vomiting, a few people suggesting that "football isn't for fairies" and following that with "womens football only exists to keep the feminists happy". Grim.

The feature obviously means well with its intentions, but the reaction to it was always going to be toxic.