aberdeen-music

Football Manager 2017

Gypsum_Fantastic

Anyone preordered this yet? Just a reminder that if you get it via steam you get 5% off the price for every previous FM game in your steam library up to 20%

Brexit could make Big Bastard and his pals job a lot harder http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/18/brexit-is-simulated-in-football-manager-2017-and-its-going-to-ma/

Reckon big bastard prefers proppa players anyway.

3 hours ago, Gypsum_Fantastic said:

Anyone preordered this yet? Just a reminder that if you get it via steam you get 5% off the price for every previous FM game in your steam library up to 20%

Brexit could make Big Bastard and his pals job a lot harder http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/18/brexit-is-simulated-in-football-manager-2017-and-its-going-to-ma/

Reckon big bastard prefers proppa players anyway.

Looks like that offer ended last Friday :(

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't play last year, but I'm getting a copy of this year's from my employer so that I can write about it. I'm hoping there's not a massive jump from '15, which was the last one I put real time into.

My first course of action, as always, will be to turn Barcelona into Stoke.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/10/2016 at 3:29 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Think this might be the first one for a while that I give a miss.

Ha.

I caved at the weekend and got it. Anyone else playing? I need a new skin. I don't like how GREEN everything is.

As usual, with every new instalment, SI hard-code the players to be even moanier than ever before. 2 games in to the season, and my worst centre back is crying about not getting games. Sigh.

Who are you playing as? I always go Bayern on the first go on a new one, to get in to the new features and nuances without getting battered.

Once I'm up to speed, I quite fancy a crack at Everton. I hear that Lukaku wants to leave as soon as you start the game. I'm looking forward to punting him in to the reserves immediately.

Newcastle. It's my team and a decent one to try even if you aren't a fan. Only just won the title in my most recent season by a baw hair so it has been frustrating but in an enjoyable way.

Will give up on this save soon once the young players of the real world start retiting!

Lukaku has no idea about Big Bastard and his big bastarding ways. He will though.

Edited by Gypsum_Fantastic

Started the Everton campaign. I was ready to give all the moaners a bollocking, but instead I just sold them all, as well as some dead weight. £170m

2qamquw.png

Arsenal are stupid. So are Aston Villa. Those parachute payments have just paid for Barry's homecoming-cum-retirement.

Brought in Memphis, Schneiderlin, Smalling (Mourinho transfer listed them all), Callum Wilson, Jan Oblak and Chicharito, for a combined £121m. Negative net spend. Have it. Thanks PSG.

Not a bad first season:

x4xZyGF.jpg

I won the FA Cup, even though we were dreadful in the final. Totally out-Mourinho'd Mourinho.

IgwP9UA.jpg

This was pretty much my team, when everyone is fit:

jo6xvd7.jpg

Memphis bagged 30 goals and 14 assists in all comps. He is the polar opposite of his real life counterpart: Good at football.

Callum Wilson is also ace. If you need a fairly cheap English centre forward with pace to burn and good finishing, get him from the start before his price shoots up. He kept Javier Hernandez out of the side, who has better attributes.

Smalling is king. His defensive attributes go through the roof really quickly. He's no good for possession football though, because he can't pass for shite. Infact he can't do anything with the ball. Don't let him near it. Awful footballer. Just let him smash in to anyone who has it, or put his face in the way of shots and crosses. He's the best at that.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I always start a new game as Celtic. Easy as piss to walk the league while getting to grips with the game. 

Im still playing 2016, started a new save as Arsenal recently after getting bored of my Sheffield Wednesday game. Going pretty well, halfway through my first season, top of the Prem and finished top of my Champions League group with 5 wins and a draw, culminating with a stunning 3-0 away win over Bayern in the last game. Danny Welbeck is ridiculously good in front of goal, Giroud can't get a look in. I'm playing with a larger squad than usual because just like Arsenal in real life I'm constantly decimated by injuries. At one point I had 6 of starting 11 out injured, and like in real life Jack Wilshere's legs are made of Lego. I bought Robert Snodgrass for the lols, he's actually doing alright as a utility player covering for whoever is injured. 

Starting XI (4-2-3-1, attack down the wings, lots of crosses) 

--------------------------Cech

Bellerin - Koscielny - Mertesacker - Alaba

Michael Bradley (BWM) - Cazorla (DLP) 

Walcott (IF) - Ozil (AP) - Sanchez (W) 

-------------------Welbeck (AF) 

Subs:

Ospina 

Paulista 

Gibbs

Ramsey

Reine-Adelaide

Gnabry

Giroud 

I switch between this and 4-4-1-1 if I want to play a bit tighter. 

That Ball Winning Midfielder (defensive) role is ace fun. I have Michael Bradley and Francis Coquelin both in that role exclusively, because one of them is always suspended. Guaranteed at least a yellow in every game, I think Bradley has about 15 and Coquelin has been sent off twice. Not a jot of creativity from those two. Just smash whoever has the ball and pass it to off to whoever is closest. 

Edited by Lemonade

It took me ages to get into a game, but finally have as Derby County.

Promoted first season via the playoffs, beating Newcastle Utd in the final (lol). Created a very possession-based formation reliant on a roaming playmaker to make things happen. It's been great, very often have close to 70% possession and heaps of attempts. It was difficult in the Championship with no decent striker to actually finish the attempts off (Derby had a shit load of strikers but none very good - Vydra, Blackman, Russell, Martin, Wilson on loan from Man Utd). Went with Vydra as my main guy and he was okay. Anyway, I GOT PROMOTED, and only really made three signings - Martin Caceres on a free (in November once he realised no other cunt wanted him), James McClean on loan, Chung Yung-Lee on loan.

First season in the Prem finished 10th, which is pretty great. Had signed Wilfried Bony on loan who is THE BOY in this formation, along with Leroy Fer (didn't get in the team, really), James McClean (WBA) and Chung Yung-Lee (C Palace) on permanent deals as well as Curtis Davies on a free and Patrick Roberts on loan.

Will Hughes is just the best. Sign him if you can, he is incredible.

THE LEGENDS THAT GOT ME 10th PLACE:

GcIZh7P.jpg

Been handed my first WARCHEST of £50m, and having shipped out M'Vila, Vydra, Martin, Olsson and Fer my NET SPEND on the following was pretty low:

Bony (permanent deal from Man City), Snodgrass, Antonio, Cresswell, Ings, Hector (Michael), Begovic

Still need a solid DM and backup CB/long-term replacement for Davies, but it's looking good:

gDo3lmT.jpg

• Upvote 1

I'm playing as Wolves at the moment. Still in the first season, smashing the Championship, and nicked a win at Anfield in the League Cup. Just like in real life. Well, the latter part. Wolves are muck in the league IRL.

The affiliation with Benfica is great. Got a handful of their superstar youths on loan, and some of their castoffs for dirt cheap that are way too good for the Championship. Wolves also have a number of great youngsters, and loads of deadwood to be flogged for decent money, because Championship sides seem to be filthy rich now.

Adam; what player roles do you use for possession football? Particularly in your midfield three. I don't normally go for it as I normally prefer a Simeone-style aggressive counter attack, but the Wolves board want me to play it. I've got something that kind of works, but is averaging 56%. My midfielders, despite having decent passing and vision attributes, give the ball away heaps under little pressure.

Started piecing together my team ready for the Premier League, but then I got offered the Celtic job. Rodgers has gone to Arsenal to replace the retired Wenger.

I accepted out of curiosity, never done Celtic before. I had a great thing going at Wolves, so my plan was to take the Celtic job and save it as a new file, and go back to Wolves if it got boring. As I accepted, I skipped through the introduction, then it auto-saved.

Bugger. No going back now.

Celtic have got some atrocious players, and a GIGANTIC squad. I'm going to bin about 80% of it.

On 2/2/2017 at 9:25 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Adam; what player roles do you use for possession football? Particularly in your midfield three. I don't normally go for it as I normally prefer a Simeone-style aggressive counter attack, but the Wolves board want me to play it. I've got something that kind of works, but is averaging 56%. My midfielders, despite having decent passing and vision attributes, give the ball away heaps under little pressure.

LMWe1ZZ.jpg

Occasionally I will switch the wingers for inside forwards depending on the player. You need strong wing backs going forward - Cyrus Christie has been absolutely brilliant for me at RB.

In the Prem I normally play on a counter mentality, but if I'm at home against a weaker team or a team in poor form I will start on control.

I'll screenshot my team instructions later if you're interested. There are a few player instructions but not too many. Bradley Johnson scores a bucketload from distance in the BBM role but since my last post I've signed Lewis Cook in the hope that the Hughes/Cook CM will exist until the end of time. Probably need to win something soon or at least get Champs League, otherwise Hughes will moan.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...