aberdeen-music

Get my music heard

Natasha

There are a few different ways to go about it, but being young and rural I'd say that the "easiest" way to get going is to just take your guitar/keyboard/whatever and start recording yourself. Most laptop microphones will do a good enough job for the first effort. Write some songs, play them, chuck them out online and see if anyone listens. It's a long haul trying to get good and to gain an audience, but just throw yourself in and get started, have some fun with it. As for performing in front of people, I have no idea. Growing up in Peterhead, the pubs let us play when we were 14-15 because nobody cared, but I doubt that shit will still fly. Keep an eye out for all-ages gigs and shows through, they must be out there somewhere.

There are always folks looking to start bands and jam, so on that front, just find anyone you can who plays an instrument or does anything musical and jam with them, there must be a load of folk in your school who do? At least there was when I was your age. Don't get hung up on trying to find people who are in to exactly the same music as you, at least not right away - just find some other musicians and make some music. No matter how bad it is, you'll learn a lot.

xx

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Stroopy121 said:

There are a few different ways to go about it, but being young and rural I'd say that the "easiest" way to get going is to just take your guitar/keyboard/whatever and start recording yourself. Most laptop microphones will do a good enough job for the first effort. Write some songs, play them, chuck them out online and see if anyone listens. It's a long haul trying to get good and to gain an audience, but just throw yourself in and get started, have some fun with it. As for performing in front of people, I have no idea. Growing up in Peterhead, the pubs let us play when we were 14-15 because nobody cared, but I doubt that shit will still fly. Keep an eye out for all-ages gigs and shows through, they must be out there somewhere.

There are always folks looking to start bands and jam, so on that front, just find anyone you can who plays an instrument or does anything musical and jam with them, there must be a load of folk in your school who do? At least there was when I was your age. Don't get hung up on trying to find people who are in to exactly the same music as you, at least not right away - just find some other musicians and make some music. No matter how bad it is, you'll learn a lot.

xx

Well said. I thought most secondary schools encouraged youngsters to play, I know Ellon Academy used to when our boys were there. It is better to jam with people so you learn how to fit in and learn to improvise. Most of all, it's about fun. Enjoy yourself.

Well you're screwed then!

joking Ofcourse, my idea would be speak to your teacher (as awkward as it is) about starting one like a choir or something. If all else fails why not try speaking to people in the year above see if they want to start something? 

I was was in your place too at that age as a guitarist. I got involved with the ceilidh band at school, met other musicians, formed bands as we got older etc. It will all come. 

Learn to record music yourself, write your own and self-release on bandcamp/whatever until you're old enough that others in your year start to develop an interest in being in a band. Then you'll have a bunch of songs that you can start a full band with or you can Lord it over them as an established solo artist.

If you want to play to people, set up a YouTube account and webcam yourself playing tunes. Works for tons of people. There are live streaming platforms out there where you could play 'virtual' gigs as well.

Seriously though, don't let lack of interest from your peers worry you. I was one of two people who listened to alternative types of music when I was at school. I didn't like the other person. I've been in bands, released music and am now releasing solo music. You'll get where you want to be, just keep going :)

Edited by Alkaline
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
On 16/08/2016 at 1:19 PM, Natasha said:

Hi I am 14 and write, sing and play my own songs also covers I was 13 in video below, I am unique but need advice as want to play to people or join a band I from Mintlaw Aberdeenshire 

Edited by Natasha
  • Upvote 2