aberdeen-music

Top Fives

Lemonade

Was trying to fix my typos, when I got sidetracked trying to wax lyrical on Haake, and now I can't edit it, but:  the whole (Meshuggah) albums are assembled via programming and putting individual ideas together piecemeal, much like no-record-deal-no-full-band millennial musos (like Plini above) with the band never jamming as a whole whilst writing (though there is eventual live rehearsal and recording). Which again, makes the drummer being the main composer a bit special, I think. Anyway.

1 -  Hamburg, Germany. Really cool artsy city, beautiful buildings, insanely cool clubs and the Reeperbahn. 

2 - Nice, France. Beautiful city, friendly people, great restaurants, so laid back. Relaxed nightlife, incredible scenery all around it, a warren-like old town of twisty narrow streets, and miles and miles of Mediterranean coastline. 

3 - Monte Carlo, Monaco. Wasn't really what I was expecting, it's noisy, busy, crowded, obscenely rich and expensive as hell, but its worth a visit just to experience that much wealth, and also to see how differently they run things. The scenery around it is spectacular too. 

4 - Clifden, Ireland. Picturesque little town on the West coast of Ireland, miles away from anything. Totally isolated but still has a thriving high street full of local business and fantastic restaurants (seafood to die for). A very cool surfer and outdoorsy culture too. Atlantic Ocean on one side, Connemara mountains on the other. Breathtaking scenery. 

5 - Geneva, Switzerland. The whole city gives off a vibe of being businesslike and cold, not much fun, but there's some great bars and clubs if you dig around a bit. It's all about the banking and the money, luxury everywhere and it's crazy expensive but its a great city to walk around, lots of nice cafes and shops, a lot of architecture and history, and Mont Blanc and the Alps towering on the horizon. Crisp mountain air, and right on a vast lake as well, with boat tours etc. Plus you can take a bus to the edge of the city then take a cable car and you're in the fucking mountains. Which is cool. 

Edited by Lemonade

2 hours ago, colb said:

Lots of Groningen love as well, I went there too - it was nice enough but the terrible chips and cheese took it right out of my top 5

The Netherlands generally is pretty bad for food.  It's good for music though.  I spent a summer in Groningen when I was a student and had a brilliant time.  Great venue (the Vera) where I saw Codeine and Unsane.  Also great record shops.  Proper place.

2 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

I probably should've included Viljandi - Estonia on my list. Cool little place with no Russians.

Everyone's either young and healthy, or ancient and drunk.

Viljandi's pretty good.  Like many small towns in Estonia about half of it seems to be taken up with a massive castle.  I could probably put pretty much anywhere in Estonia but Tartu's the place I've spent most time in and is just generally excellent in every way.

1 hour ago, Soda van Jerk said:

My top 5 is nothing but Leeds. The motherland and punk rock capital of the UK. 

Oh I've also been to Memphis and Detroit (pre bankruptcy). Went to Elvis' house. They're both good. But they're no Leeds. Memphis doesn't have a Pitza Cano, where you can get a Calzone the size of a shed. 

Sicily's chicken kebab on a big mother flipping naan bread for 3.50 will be sorely missed in my life like an old family friend.

Edited by Gypsum_Fantastic