aberdeen-music

Top Fives

Lemonade

I was ALL about teh Hardy Boiz when I was a nipper. The Attitude era stuff was my fucking jam. Mick Foley/Mankind/Cactus Jack was just an absolute superhero in my eyes. I still periodically rewatch the Hell in a Cell match with Undertaker and it's still absolutely amazing viewing (IMHO).

Also I feel like the horrendous invention of the "Bra and Panties" matches was a major part of my sexual development.

xx

18 minutes ago, Stroopy121 said:

I was ALL about teh Hardy Boiz when I was a nipper. The Attitude era stuff was my fucking jam. Mick Foley/Mankind/Cactus Jack was just an absolute superhero in my eyes. I still periodically rewatch the Hell in a Cell match with Undertaker and it's still absolutely amazing viewing (IMHO).

Also I feel like the horrendous invention of the "Bra and Panties" matches was a major part of my sexual development.

xx

oh shit yeah! its definitely Lita's fault that i have a lifelong thing for 'goth' chicks haha

Attitude era was my jam too. When the Attitude era turned into some sort of comedy show, that's when I gave it the boot. I think that was around the time of Stone Cold's gimmick becoming just repeating "What?", which was a real phone-in from the writers. That was the beginning of the end.

The PPV's being free to air on Channel 4 was great times. I remember staying up on Sunday nights watching them and going to school the next day. Royal Rumble and Valentines Day Massacre in 1999 being the ones I mostly remember. The Rock vs Mankind from the latter PPV was probably the best match I ever saw.

I put it on for 5 or 10 minutes every now and again out of curiosity, and I haven't a clue who anyone is, and it always looks a bit shit. It's nearly always Triple H and Steph McMahon just wandering around looking smug whilst acting terribly, then a match happens and it's crap.

Edited by Soda Jerk

,It's been going consistently downhill for about 15 years in all honesty, it's been absolute crap for the last 6 or 7. I mostly don't watch it but I dip in and out now and again. It's a kids show now, squeaky clean and sanitised, and there are no characters or even storylines any more. It's pretty much two guys in shiny trunks saying "I don't like you", "yeah well I don't like you either, let's wrestle" now for three hours. Every now again they do something cool but it's far and far between. Goldberg coming back last year was pretty cool but they fucked it up. I was really excited them signing Ronda Rousey too, then what do they do, they put her in a Wrestlemania tag match with Stephanie McMahon and two retired old guys. What a total waste. 

On 3/31/2018 at 12:05 AM, Soda Jerk said:

I'm often quite tempted to get WWE Network for a bit for the archived PPVs and the ECW stuff.

What is WWE's competition now? is it TNA?

The Network has so much on it. Its really good. Only thing it's missing is Raw and Smackdown is on three month delay. Everything else is up to date. NXT is worth watching. Its kind of their testing ground where they put young / new guys to establish themselves before moving to Raw or Smackdown and it's the best program they make IMO. They actually have characters and storylines on that show. Plus it's only an hour a week. 

TNA imploded a few years ago. They had various ownership changes, name changes, legal battles, lost their TV contract, they had to downsize massively, and most of their roster quit or was let go. WWE snapped up all the decent ones. It still exists but just barely and its called Impact Wrestling now. Shame because they had everything in place to grow and challenge WWE but they just fucked it up. WWE's biggest competition now is probably Ring of Honor but its small-fry compared to WWE. But increasingly people are going there and making a name for themselves. Some of the biggest names in wrestling at the moment have never even been in WWE, Will Ospreay, Marty Scurll, the Young Bucks, Ricochet (though he has just signed). Independent wrestling is massive at the moment, more and more independent companies have streaming services and you can watch wrestling from all over the world without a TV and people can create a huge following for themselves (and then WWE signs them and puts them on NXT). It's a weird time to be a wrestling fan. WWE are not only acknowledging independent wrestling companies, but signing their wrestlers and mentioning their achievements in other promotions. NXT is bursting with independent guys. Double weirdly the hotspot of wrestling at the moment is the UK, its red-hot, so much so that TNA started plans to make a weekly wrestling show in the UK with all-British wrestlers, although I think it fell through, and the WWE created a United Kingdom Championship and signed all these young British guys to contracts. They had a two-day elimination tournament to crown the first champion. From fucking Blackpool. Check it out, its on the Network. 

8 hours ago, Lemonade said:

The Network has so much on it. Its really good. Only thing it's missing is Raw and Smackdown is on three month delay. Everything else is up to date. NXT is worth watching. Its kind of their testing ground where they put young / new guys to establish themselves before moving to Raw or Smackdown and it's the best program they make IMO. They actually have characters and storylines on that show. Plus it's only an hour a week. 

TNA imploded a few years ago. They had various ownership changes, name changes, legal battles, lost their TV contract, they had to downsize massively, and most of their roster quit or was let go. WWE snapped up all the decent ones. It still exists but just barely and its called Impact Wrestling now. Shame because they had everything in place to grow and challenge WWE but they just fucked it up. WWE's biggest competition now is probably Ring of Honor but its small-fry compared to WWE. But increasingly people are going there and making a name for themselves. Some of the biggest names in wrestling at the moment have never even been in WWE, Will Ospreay, Marty Scurll, the Young Bucks, Ricochet (though he has just signed). Independent wrestling is massive at the moment, more and more independent companies have streaming services and you can watch wrestling from all over the world without a TV and people can create a huge following for themselves (and then WWE signs them and puts them on NXT). It's a weird time to be a wrestling fan. WWE are not only acknowledging independent wrestling companies, but signing their wrestlers and mentioning their achievements in other promotions. NXT is bursting with independent guys. Double weirdly the hotspot of wrestling at the moment is the UK, its red-hot, so much so that TNA started plans to make a weekly wrestling show in the UK with all-British wrestlers, although I think it fell through, and the WWE created a United Kingdom Championship and signed all these young British guys to contracts. They had a two-day elimination tournament to crown the first champion. From fucking Blackpool. Check it out, its on the Network. 

I was going to like this post, as it was incredibly helpful, but now that you're staff again it seems that you're above receiving likes. Thanks for the info though. You might have twisted my arm. Once hockey season is over, I think I'll sign up, binge as much archive PPVs as I can, check out some NXT and see if I wanna keep it up after that.

Does WWE Network also get the PPVs as they happen? Or are they on a 3 month delay too?

It has old WCW/ECW PPVs too, doesn't it?

3 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

I was going to like this post, as it was incredibly helpful, but now that you're staff again it seems that you're above receiving likes. Thanks for the info though. You might have twisted my arm. Once hockey season is over, I think I'll sign up, binge as much archive PPVs as I can, check out some NXT and see if I wanna keep it up after that.

Does WWE Network also get the PPVs as they happen? Or are they on a 3 month delay too?

It has old WCW/ECW PPVs too, doesn't it?

PPVs go out live and can be watched on demand as soon as they finish. No  delay on those. And yes, every single WWE, WCW and ECW pay per view ever, plus every Raw, every Smackdown, every WCW Monday Nitro and WCW Thunder, every ECW weekly show TV and much more, long-dead wrestling companies most people have never heard of, like AWA, Smoky Mountain Wrestling, All Star Wrestling and Global Wrestling Federation. Every program WWE have ever made is up there, should you want to watch Tuesday Night Titans or Saturday Nights Main Event from 1987. They even make their own reality shows, documentaries, even cartoons (all wrestling themed).  You could be watching it for the rest of your life.

Make sure you watch the Monday Night Wars documentary series, it's excellent. It's focused on the period between 1996-2000 when Raw was at its peak  and has loads of archive footage of Stone Cold, DX, McMahon, NWO,  Mankind, The Rock etc, and shows all the highlights without you having to search through hours and hours of Raw episodes. Plus it's just a great story. 

I love wrestling and I want WWE to be good again. 

9 hours ago, Lemonade said:

PPVs go out live and can be watched on demand as soon as they finish. No  delay on those. And yes, every single WWE, WCW and ECW pay per view ever, plus every Raw, every Smackdown, every WCW Monday Nitro and WCW Thunder, every ECW weekly show TV and much more, long-dead wrestling companies most people have never heard of, like AWA, Smoky Mountain Wrestling, All Star Wrestling and Global Wrestling Federation. Every program WWE have ever made is up there, should you want to watch Tuesday Night Titans or Saturday Nights Main Event from 1987. They even make their own reality shows, documentaries, even cartoons (all wrestling themed).  You could be watching it for the rest of your life.

Make sure you watch the Monday Night Wars documentary series, it's excellent. It's focused on the period between 1996-2000 when Raw was at its peak  and has loads of archive footage of Stone Cold, DX, McMahon, NWO,  Mankind, The Rock etc, and shows all the highlights without you having to search through hours and hours of Raw episodes. Plus it's just a great story. 

I love wrestling and I want WWE to be good again. 

That's cool that the PPVs are live/on demand. Bit mad that the Raw/Smackdown shows leading up to the PPVs are so far behind though. I guess that'll be down to TV rights? NHL do the same for televised games, but it's only a 24hr delay.

And only $9.99 a month is crazy. That's cheaper than if I just got each PPV every month via Sky Box Office.

My smart telly already has the WWE Network app installed on it too.

3 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

That's cool that the PPVs are live/on demand. Bit mad that the Raw/Smackdown shows leading up to the PPVs are so far behind though. I guess that'll be down to TV rights? NHL do the same for televised games, but it's only a 24hr delay.

And only $9.99 a month is crazy. That's cheaper than if I just got each PPV every month via Sky Box Office.

My smart telly already has the WWE Network app installed on it too.

Just checked and Raw and Smackdown are only on one month delay. And yeah probably TV rights. In theory though  you could watch all the programs and the PPVs one month behind. It's worth £9.99 anyway. 

3 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Just checked and Raw and Smackdown are only on one month delay. And yeah probably TV rights. In theory though  you could watch all the programs and the PPVs one month behind. It's worth £9.99 anyway. 

I was gonna wait til the NHL season was over as the playoffs are just abut to start, but I've signed up for the free month. Just had a look at the vault. It's ridiculous.

I don't know how I'm going to fit in the playoffs and all those ECW PPVs. I might have to quit my job and cut back on my sleep.

• Upvote 1

Top five goalkeeper jerseys from the golden era of goalkeeper jerseys - the mid 90s

5. "Looks good, but make the Umbro logos look like weapons that are raining downwards"

Related image

4. "What shapes do you want on this one?"
"All of them"

Image result for 90s goalkeeper kits

3. Campos designed his own kits, and he really nailed the "forgot my PE kit so I had to borrow some from the bin of discarded kit that doesn't at all fit" look, then made it look like a packet of Refreshers.

Image result for jorge campos

2. This one came in all different colours, and loads of teams used it. This one wins though. The Adidas decor look like wolverines claws. Totally badass. If it actually fit, it would be faultless, but true to 90s form, it looks like he's borrowed it from his much larger older brother. (and David James is a big lad, that shirt must be like a parachute!)

1. The mac daddy of Adidas templates, striking a much more tasteful balance between eye catching and obnoxiousness, and it actually fits the goalkeeper, for the first time that decade.

Image result for oliver kahn 1996

• Upvote 1

Goram looks incredibly less cool in the red and amber blobs than Oliver Kahn does.

Slapping a horrid lager on the front really knock a bit of class off it too. Not that Carlsberg is any better on the Wolverine Claw jersey, but the logo is a bit classier at least.

Is there anything Rangers can't ruin?

I don't have the knowledge to do a top 5 90s goalie shirts, but I'll do top 5 Scotland strips. 

5. The Italia 90 "leisure shirt". I didnt have it but I wanted the purple version so bad. It would have gone nicely with my shell suits and LA Gears. 

a7f0337db3eaab4b3818ae4c8ff61be7.jpg

2cb5b7eb0797b3d9378424fda98a0cc5.jpg

4 - 1988 - 1991 away. Had this. Glorious. 

26196350_10155751233642931_2078990775250

3 - 93-95 away. Didn't have it. 

55e0682f4b4b81c3661025d93970afed.jpg

2 - Euro 96. Purple and tartan. I loved it. Didn't have it. 

extra_football_shirt_10361_1.jpg

1 - 91-92 away. Classic. Had it. 

IMG_2308_clipped_rev_1.jpeg

5 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

Top five goalkeeper jerseys from the golden era of goalkeeper jerseys - the mid 90s

5. "Looks good, but make the Umbro logos look like weapons that are raining downwards"

Related image

4. "What shapes do you want on this one?"
"All of them"

3. Campos designed his own kits, and he really nailed the "forgot my PE kit so I had to borrow some from the bin of discarded kit that doesn't at all fit" look, then made it look like a packet of Refreshers.

Image result for jorge campos

2. This one came in all different colours, and loads of teams used it. This one wins though. The Adidas decor look like wolverines claws. Totally badass. If it actually fit, it would be faultless, but true to 90s form, it looks like he's borrowed it from his much larger older brother. (and David James is a big lad, that shirt must be like a parachute!)

1. The mac daddy of Adidas templates, striking a much more tasteful balance between eye catching and obnoxiousness, and it actually fits the goalkeeper, for the first time that decade.

Image result for oliver kahn 1996

I had the 95-96 Liverpool goalie top in the alternate colours to that one - it was green and purple. Definitely #1 on my list!