aberdeen-music

Top Fives

Lemonade

• 4 weeks later...

Not counting the Football Manager series because I can't really pick one favourite from the series. Same with a lot of sports series. I played the shit out of one of the Tiger Woods games on PS2 but I can't remember which one.

1 - Batman: Arkham Asylum (XBox 360)

2- Goldeneye (N64)

3 - Mario Kart DS (DS)

4 - Road Rash 2 (Sega Megadrive)

5 - Tomb Raider 2 (PS1)

Honorable mentions: Streets Of Rage 2, Golden Axe, Sonic The Hedgehog 1 and 2 for Megadrive. Tony Hawks Underground and Tony Hawks American Wasteland for PS2. Most of that series tbh. GTA Vice City and San Andreas for PS2, GTA 4 on 360. Castlevania on NES. EA Hockey series on Megadrive. TOCA Touring Cars on PS1. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker on Megadrive. California Games on Sega Master System. Micro Machines 2 on Megadrive for 4 player madness with mates.

Edited by Lemonade

games is good one. Gave this way more thought than I should have and now I'm late for my haircut.

Super Monkey ball - GameCube. What. A. Game. Single player was a blast but the party games were just phenomenal. Each one was excellent.

international track and field - PlayStation. I was so good at it I broke the game and many controllers. I genuinely believe I could compete at a world level on it.  Should patent my technique. It's all about using a 'loose' hand as a cantilever so your downward thrust on O causes an equal and opposite upward thrust on square.

micro machines - megadrive. 4 players, 2 controllers was just so much fun.

jimmy white's cueball 2 - PC. The best snooker game ever. Physics were spot on and you could take a break to play the puggy for a bit if you got bored.

Project Gotham racing - Xbox. Racing around Edinburgh pointing out doorways friends had spewed in the night before was a revelation. Geometry wars Easter egg was just the best.

honorables: too many sports sims to mention, last of us, timesplitters 2, vice city

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ca_gere said:

games is good one. Gave this way more thought than I should have and now I'm late for my haircut.

Super Monkey ball - GameCube. What. A. Game. Single player was a blast but the party games were just phenomenal. Each one was excellent.

international track and field - PlayStation. I was so good at it I broke the game and many controllers. I genuinely believe I could compete at a world level on it.  Should patent my technique. It's all about using a 'loose' hand as a cantilever so your downward thrust on O causes an equal and opposite upward thrust on square.

micro machines - megadrive. 4 players, 2 controllers was just so much fun.

jimmy white's cueball 2 - PC. The best snooker game ever. Physics were spot on and you could take a break to play the puggy for a bit if you got bored.

Project Gotham racing - Xbox. Racing around Edinburgh pointing out doorways friends had spewed in the night before was a revelation. Geometry wars Easter egg was just the best.

honorables: too many sports sims to mention, last of us, timesplitters 2, vice city

Project Gotham was fantastic. I'm sad I forgot to include Project Gotham 3 on mine. Maybe the best racing game I've ever played. 

Good luck with the haircut. 

Edited by Lemonade

Jimmy Whites. What a game. I remember if you left the game idle for a minute, faces would appear on the balls and wink at you, like a primitive screen saver.

I also meant to put Sensible World of Soccer, not Sensible Soccer. Two totally different games. Career mode on SWOS was a game changer, and a burglar of time. Used to get up at 4am to play it on THE BIG TELLY before school. 

1, Spellbound Dizzy - I spent far too much time playing this on my CPC 464 and speccy emulators (in fact any Dizzy game could be here).

2, Metal Gear Solid - Playstation version

3, Monkey Island - Could be any one really, but mainly the first one.

4, GTA 2 London - Loved the fact you could drive round London doing all the Italian Job missions.

Final Fantasy 10 - Good sub game of Biltz Ball.

Special mentions - Head Over Heels (never did complete it), Batman: The Movie (Ocean 1989 game again CPC 464), any Tony Hawks game, Jet Racer/Moto, Bomberman, Micro Machines (both with Multi tap on PS in Uni halls)

3 minutes ago, MattJimF said:

1, Spellbound Dizzy - I spent far too much time playing this on my CPC 464 and speccy emulators (in fact any Dizzy game could be here).

2, Metal Gear Solid - Playstation version

3, Monkey Island - Could be any one really, but mainly the first one.

4, GTA 2 London - Loved the fact you could drive round London doing all the Italian Job missions.

Final Fantasy 10 - Good sub game of Biltz Ball.

Special mentions - Head Over Heels (never did complete it), Batman: The Movie (Ocean 1989 game again CPC 464), any Tony Hawks game, Jet Racer/Moto, Bomberman, Micro Machines (both with Multi tap on PS in Uni halls)

I toyed with a Dizzy game. Probably Treasure  Island for me but they were all great. Head Over Heels as well. I have a special place in my heart for it, I got it for my Spectrum when I was about 6 (I had a +3 because I was a posh kid) and me and my dad used and sit and play it together for hours. First game I ever loved. Never completed it either. That was a fucking tricky game. 

7 minutes ago, Gypsum_Fantastic said:

Ah man so many games mentioned that I now need to find emulators for! Good thread.

Download an app called Retroarch (if you have an Android phone or tablet). It's a little complicated to operate but it plays ROMs of virtually any console, and you can overlay a controller at the bottom of the screen for whatever console you're emulating. Like so.

Screenshot_2014-03-16-11-35-30.png

You still have to download the ROMs which is illegal and therefore I definitely won't send you to a site which has free roms for almost every game on every retro console. But if you were to type in the words 'free' and 'roms' and then stick a dot com on the end, well who knows where you might end up?

Edited by Lemonade
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

Download an app called Retroarch (if you have an Android phone or tablet). It's a little complicated to operate but it plays ROMs of virtually any console, and you can overlay a controller at the bottom of the screen for whatever console you're emulating. Like so.

You still have to download the ROMs which is illegal and therefore I definitely won't send you to a site which has free roms for almost every game on every retro console. But if you were to type in the words 'free' and 'roms' and then stick a dot com on the end, well who knows where you might end up?

I may have this for a few but haven't found Die Hard or Ape Escape 2 (purely for the best football mini game ever ever ever)

29 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

Jail.

You end up in jail.

Stealing the hard work of defunct developers originally released on a format no longer made or in circulation. FOR SHAME!

is there a non-phone/tablet version I Can use on my laptop?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Jail.

You end up in jail.

Stealing the hard work of defunct developers originally released on a format no longer made or in circulation. FOR SHAME!

is there a non-phone/tablet version I Can use on my laptop?

Not sure there's a one-for-all but you can download separate emulators at the same place. Not sure how good they are. I've always used one called GENS for all my Sega needs.