aberdeen-music

LadyWantsAudio

Alkaline

Hi folks, 

I've been working on some solo stuff for a little while now and I'm finally at a point where I'm ready to share the first track from my new EP, Ghostwood.

You can hear it on https://ladywantsaudio.bandcamp.com/

Would be great to get some feedback on it please (good and bad, both welcomed).

Feel free to like my page on Facebook too https://www.facebook.com/ladywantsaudio/

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Hmmm. I didn't care for it. I found it a bit backgroundy and monotone. I hate giving negative feedback because I know how much it sucks when you put a lot of yourself into a song and then  people don't like it, and I also hate to use the old cop-out  of "it's well played and everything but it's not my cup of tea" but I kind of have to, or at least a close relative of it: it's not a bad song, I just didn't like it. I'll happily listen to further recordings though. Maybe this one just didn't do it for me. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Hmmm. I didn't care for it. I found it a bit backgroundy and monotone. I hate giving negative feedback because I know how much it sucks when you put a lot of yourself into a song and then  people don't like it, and I also hate to use the old cop-out  of "it's well played and everything but it's not my cup of tea" but I kind of have to, or at least a close relative of it: it's not a bad song, I just didn't like it. I'll happily listen to further recordings though. Maybe this one just didn't do it for me. 

That's cool, cheers for listening though! I'm the same, I hate saying "it's not my cup of tea" and if I can be a bit more constructive I will. How did you find it from a production point of view?

I don't even see your feedback as negative really, backgroundy is synonymous with ambient for me and I can cope with people not liking my stuff :)

Thanks for taking the time out to listen though. 

On 26/07/2016 at 6:30 PM, Alkaline said:

That's cool, cheers for listening though! I'm the same, I hate saying "it's not my cup of tea" and if I can be a bit more constructive I will. How did you find it from a production point of view?

I don't even see your feedback as negative really, backgroundy is synonymous with ambient for me and I can cope with people not liking my stuff :)

Thanks for taking the time out to listen though. 

Production was spot on :up:

• Upvote 1

I dig it. It's got a swooshy trip-hop thing going in. I'm in to that, but don't listen to enough of it.

The one part of the song which I thought clashed a little bit - to my ears anyway - is the staccato bass rhythm which comes in at the start and stays constant throughout. Everything else seems very sustained, the strings and the reverb soaked vocals sweep over the percussion, but the bass pulses seem to stick out a little bit. It's not necessarily bad, but on first listen it didn't seem to fit. But perhaps in context with the rest of he EP, it may fall in to place. I'd definitely like to hear more.

Edited by Soda van Jerk
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

I dig it. It's got a swooshy trip-hop thing going in. I'm in to that, but don't listen to enough of it.

The one part of the song which I thought clashed a little bit - to my ears anyway - is the staccato bass rhythm which comes in at the start and stays constant throughout. Everything else seems very sustained, the strings and the reverb soaked vocals sweep over the percussion, but the bass pulses seem to stick out a little bit. It's not necessarily bad, but on first listen it didn't seem to fit. But perhaps in context with the rest of he EP, it may fall in to place. I'd definitely like to hear more.

Cheers, it's probably just my bass playing but I just wanted to add a little "thump" to it. In that respect it fits the sort of grind of the others. 

I'm aiming this EP as a sort of concept based around sex/love. Sleeper will be track 3 which kind of represents bliss or euphoria. I have track 2, Night Moves (which has been described by at least one person who's heard the bones of it as "shagging music"), tracked out I just need to put some frills and get a vocalist. I'm also working on track 1, The Chase, and track 4, Glow. But they're a bit further behind in terms of development.

Where I'm headed with it I've got clear in my head at least :) 

Thanks again for listening though.

Great sounding track, I really like it.  The staccato keys parts really make it in my opinion.  They add an edge and keep the concentration.  When they stop at 0:55 I feel a real relaxation point and then my attention is picked up again when they come back in.  They induce a sense of anxiety that prevents me from not listening or paying attention.  If they were smoother swooooshes it might add a totally different feel to the track though it might be more relaxing if that was the intention of the track.  To me the track has a very subtle menace to it. 

I don't really like the hand clamp sound, this is personal preference, it sounds cheap to me as it just reminds me of cheap 1980's keyboards.  I guess this is probably exactly why you use it though!  

Great track though, I'd like to hear the EP when your finished. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Cabbage said:

Great sounding track, I really like it.  The staccato keys parts really make it in my opinion.  They add an edge and keep the concentration.  When they stop at 0:55 I feel a real relaxation point and then my attention is picked up again when they come back in.  They induce a sense of anxiety that prevents me from not listening or paying attention.  If they were smoother swooooshes it might add a totally different feel to the track though it might be more relaxing if that was the intention of the track.  To me the track has a very subtle menace to it. 

I don't really like the hand clamp sound, this is personal preference, it sounds cheap to me as it just reminds me of cheap 1980's keyboards.  I guess this is probably exactly why you use it though!  

Great track though, I'd like to hear the EP when your finished. 

Thanks :) glad you enjoyed listening to it. I've definitely left a kinda dark undertone in there for atmosphere. 

Hopefully have the rest of the EP finished come end of this month and all being well it will be released on the Binary School label, Binary Trax :)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...