aberdeen-music

2016/17 Football Season Thread

Lemonade

11 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Good on West Ham to get out of the Europa League whilst they can.

Missing out on those fixtures will give them the legs and the freshness through the league season to help them qualify for next season's Europa League.

Soda Jerk is Alan Pardew: confirmed.

You know what one of the most miserable things about relegation is? The transfers. Not so much in terms of players leaving, but the players you're forced to bring in, and those you're linked with. I completely understand why the calibre slips when you're in a lesser league, but it's still really grim.

Today, for example, it's being reported that we've agreed a fee for Daryl Murphy, who was one of my favourite players to mock during his time at Sunderland and Celtic. Granted he's enjoyed a handful of productive Championship seasons since then, and I'm sure he'll be a good third option up front, but it's still quite jarring. We've also signed Grant Hanley, one of my last favourite players in the world, and Ciaran Clark. Last summer we signed a Dutch international and two of Anderlecht's most promising youngster. What a difference a season makes.

We're signing an LB from Palermo, too. Once that and the Murphy deals go through, we'll have turned over a total of 25 players this summer: 11 in, 14 out. A bunch of wasters left the last time we went down, but our only incomings were Peter Lovenkrands on a free and my favourite guy ever, Danny Simpson, on loan. 

Benitez has taken a butcher's knife to the squad. I like that we've been able to shift melons like Cabella and Cisse, but was sad to see Krul leave on a loan-to-buy. I trust the manager implicitly though, and I haven't been able to say that in years.

Edited by Murrr
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Hakuba Mountain Wizards said:

Always great to read news headlines like this:

Celtic have signed Costa Rica right-back Cristian Gamboa for an undisclosed fee from Premier League side West Brom

Linked with Hernanes, too, which speaks volumes as to how our reputation has improved over the summer.

8 hours ago, Murrr said:

£30m for Stroppy Sissoko is very pleasing, I'm not gonna lie.

Fuck him. Great business. HIs alledged treatment of Everton sums him up.

Think Spurs fans will be happy with quotes like these:

"Arsenal have always been the club of my heart"
(Jan 2015)

"Arsenal is one of the best European teams. To be watched by that sort of club, that proves that you are a quality player. It is good to know. I hope that I will have the chance, soon, to play for this club."
(June 2016)

24 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Didn't he only cost about a million when Newcastle bought him?

Amazing what the Euros can do. He somehow garnered a reputation for having a great tournament. He ran around a lot, made some dribbles, and ended the competition with zero end product to show. £30m.

£1.5m, yeah. We've Daniel Levy'd Daniel Levy. I'm actually ecstatic with this deal: I think the lad has all the physical and technical tools to be a fantastic footballer, but he rarely shows up. Moussa goes in a huff, his first touch goes to shit, and he starts trying to dribble through players rather than around them. I thought we'd signed an outstanding player at the time but it just hasn't panned-out, and I doubt he'll be able to keep his streaky motivation high when playing a rotation role at Spurs. 

Really solid bit of business, and I'm happy the club didn't compromise on their valuation too much. We stood firm and squeezed every lost drop of value out of the player. Tremendous bit of business.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Hakuba Mountain Wizards said:

A boy at my work (a Newcastle supporter) was unhappy with the £30m Sissoko transfer. His reasoning is that since it was completed on transfer deadline day, Newcastle can't invest the money into the squad.

Can kind of understand his frustration with it but i think most supporters will be ecstatic, it's not like the Andy Carroll deadline day. There is a lot of trust in Rafa and he stood firm over this one and as Murr said we got a great deal. We have enough in the squad to see us until January then we should have a bit of money to play with if needed then.

45 minutes ago, Hakuba Mountain Wizards said:

A boy at my work (a Newcastle supporter) was unhappy with the £30m Sissoko transfer. His reasoning is that since it was completed on transfer deadline day, Newcastle can't invest the money into the squad.

LOL, I guess the 12-13 players we'd already signed just weren't enough for him.

Actually, do you still work at Clariant? I've heard some tales of a Newcastle fan there. "Obertan is brilliant, should be playing every week." "Pardew was misunderstood." That kinda insanity. 

23 minutes ago, Murrr said:

LOL, I guess the 12-13 players we'd already signed just weren't enough for him.

Actually, do you still work at Clariant? I've heard some tales of a Newcastle fan there. "Obertan is brilliant, should be playing every week." "Pardew was misunderstood." That kinda insanity. 

SAME GUY. One of the most blinkered football fans I've ever met. I totally that you have a big loyalty to your club, the sort of thing that makes you think that Charlie Mulgrew* isn't that bad, but you've got to have at least a toe in reality and accept that Charlie* is mince.

*Charlie Mulgrew has been used for illustrative purposes only

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Hakuba Mountain Wizards said:

SAME GUY. One of the most blinkered football fans I've ever met. I totally that you have a big loyalty to your club, the sort of thing that makes you think that Charlie Mulgrew* isn't that bad, but you've got to have at least a toe in reality and accept that Charlie* is mince.

*Charlie Mulgrew has been used for illustrative purposes only

One of my mates argued with me once that if I don't go in to every season believing Aberdeen are going to win the league then I'm not a real Aberdeen fan. Like it's a nice sentiment and all but lets just be a bit realistic.

Everton's excuse for dropping out of the race for Sissoko is quite something.

Farhad Moshiri: "Sissoko is a great player. But when I bought into Everton, I made it clear I was proud to join a family, and we don't turn our backs on ur own. Keeping James McCarthy was a priority and ultimately we could not proceed with a deal that would jeopardise his place at Everton. We wish Sissoko the best"

According to Mr. Deadline Day, Jim White, of course.

If true, Everton made a bid, got turned down, then made up some jibberish about how signing an attacking midfielder would unsettle and dislodge a defensive midfielder's place at the club, a player they were trying to sell anyway. It's pretty much a football equivalent of when some fuckboy makes an advance on a girl, gets shot down, and responds with "Didn't fancy you anyway"

Manchester derby was a right laugh. Those last 10 minutes especially. Can't remember seeing a game of football where the players could barely move by the end of it. City's counter attacks and United's defenders chasing back was like slow motion. De Bruyne, Bailly and Blind were hobbling in those last few minutes. The 2nd half was the most end to end half I can remember seeing.

Looks like Claudio Bravo is probably going to have a season or so like De Gea when he first arrived in England. He won't be used to claiming crosses and getting smashed in to. At least De Gea kept the whole taking-on-opposing-players-in-his-own-penalty-area to a minimum. What was he doing? Should have walked and conceded a penalty for that studs-up on Rooney after he tried to dribble around Herrera. What a fanny. Teams are going to target him like they did De Gea. But as long he can play some short passes to the full back, right?

I don't really rate Hart, but he'd have done a lot better today. Bravo's flapping was United's only real glimmer of hope.

• 2 weeks later...

The gift that keeps on giving. I like that he sees himself as some sort of profound philosopher because he recycles a few quotes on Twitter and has an opinion on everything, but he is as dumb as a post.

I also like his feud with Xabi Alonso, for stealing his move to Liverpool. You know, Xabi Alonso, has been one of the best midfielders around over the last 10 years, versus Joey Barton, who has more asbos than trophies.

What a guy. 

Northampton were a right set of yobs. Should have been down to 8. One mental two footed scissor from behind from that scouser, a swinging elbow into the chest by O'Toole, and Gorre about 10 minutes late with a total wipeout on Young. All reds, if the referee isn't a bottler. Instead, it was a booking, a free kick and nothing given respectively. Nuts.

Rooney was laughing and joking with the guy who did the two footer moments after. The captain. Can you imagine Roy Keane doing that? Rooney should have chinned him.

That was also Rooneys worst performance, ever. Ever. There must be a clause in his contract demanding that he plays, because he is fucking dreadful every week, but plays the full 90 every time. He needs binning forever. 

On 21/09/2016 at 7:46 AM, waltz said:

Joey Barton.

just... Joey Barton

22 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

The gift that keeps on giving. I like that he sees himself as some sort of profound philosopher because he recycles a few quotes on Twitter and has an opinion on everything, but he is as dumb as a post.

I also like his feud with Xabi Alonso, for stealing his move to Liverpool. You know, Xabi Alonso, has been one of the best midfielders around over the last 10 years, versus Joey Barton, who has more asbos than trophies.

What a guy. 

I love how deluded Joey Barton is and I wonder what the bust up with Andy Halliday was about. Barton was hardly a shining light when Celtic gubbed Sevco, he looked like a wee boy on the pitch, so I can't see how he could be laying into his team mates. I think it's amazing that he phoned Talksport and gave out an apology that basically was not an apology.