aberdeen-music

2016/17 Football Season Thread

Lemonade

4 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

You severely overestimated David Moyes.

I also argued against your prediction:

"Can't see Arsenal bombing to 7th. Arsenal are incredibly good at one thing - finishing in the top 4. When was the last time they didn't? They're also pretty good at climbing out of their Champions League group, even when they look doomed. I can't see this being the season they don't get into the Champions League. They'll wobble, lose a few games they shouldn't and look a bit hopeless sometimes, but they won't finish outside the top 4."

They're still in it, but I don't see them getting close to it it. They are looking the most hopeless they've looked in many years. They've got some very good players, but they just look so soft. If you're an Arsenal fan, how do you find it within yourself to get behind Ozil every week? He's the biggest big game bottler at any of the top 6 clubs. Mopes around, looking like he'd rather be doing anything than playing football. He is the Anti Sanchez, who is reportedly wanting out, but he still gives everything when he's out there.

I don't even think they'll beat United at home tomorrow, and United will be fielding a weakened side. Maybe. Mourinho said they will, but that might mean that he doesn't, because he loves fucking over Wenger. Come to think of it, I can't see Mourinho sticking that. He's unbeaten against Wenger in competitive games (Wenger's only beaten him in the Community Shield). I don't think he will want to lose that title.

On the one hand I can't help thinking how insane it is a club as massive as Arsenal can't just be a bit better each year. On the other though there's nothing really pushing the kroenke to give a shit so it's not surprising. I heard somewhere he's only been to a handful of games. He probably just checks in now and again. Wenger doesn't give him any problems and they make a killing each week at the gates (they have the highest priced tickets and season tickets in the league - maybe even the world?). He's not under pressure to make any galactico signings and now that premier league money eclipses CL money, league position isn't the be all and end all. 

Must be frustrating to be an Arsenal fan to say the least. Despite all the holes in the squad, that team should be beating every team in the league easily, bar the usual suspects. Their season is always peppered with too many disappointing and entirely avoidable losses against your burnleys of the world. If they win a couple more of those they're suddenly a top 4 team with ease. I don't even think they need to overcome better teams like Chelsea or Spurs, just avoid those silly losses. They're clearly capable.

I think the mentality of the players trickles down from the top. If there's no pressure to be ruthless, then where are the players going to get that sort of determination from, if the manager and one of the owners isn't that bothered if they win trophies or not?

Wenger doesn't have the fire he used to, and he hasn't adapted like Fergie did. Fergie lost that fire, but he could still motivate, and he went out a winner. Wenger has meandered for nearly 15 years. Like Fergie, he's become unsackable, and he'll decide when it's over. If he loves the club as he says he does, he needs to go this season.

They are capable, but they still need some serious investment, which Wenger is always reluctant to do. They could really do away with nearly all of the squad except Koscielny, Monreal and Sanchez. They are the only indispensable ones IMO. Every one else is very much replaceable. 

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:42 PM, Soda Jerk said:

I don't even think they'll beat United at home tomorrow

Wrong again. Awful game though. Arsenal were a little bit less terrible than United, but both sides were pretty terrible. Both sides didn't look bothered if they lost the game. Mourinho definitely wasn't bothered at the end.

Wayne Rooney shouldn't be a footballer anymore.

Kroenke is just an awful owner, see what he's done with the SL/LA Rams over the last few years.  He really doesn't care as long as the team is making him money.

It seems like the whole club is just in this melancholy state where they don't expect themselves to do anything.  

They go through the motions and finish top 4, get out of the group in the champions league, have a decent run in one of the domestic cups (but if it's the League cup they don't try and win it like other clubs do when they get to the quarters/semis).  Then the season closes a "big" player leaves, replacements are bought who are good but not in that elite level and then they repeat this for another year.  No one expects the players that come in to really take them to another level.

Winning FA cups back to back a couple of years ago would be good normally but Arsenal take a pasting from the media even for that.  Not a real trophy anymore etc.  It doesn't seem to matter anymore.  Seems like they need Wenger to leave just so the fans, the club and the media will think about them differently.  It seems like the attitude of Arsenal being failures has really started to ingrain itself in the club.

The Game podcast discusses pretty much exactly the above points this week r.e. Arsenal and lack of motivation to win. A good listen.

Is this Juve side the best since Viali, Rav, Di Livio, Deschamps, Lombardo, etc? They look frighteningly good. As potent in attack as in defence. On this evidence I wouldn't be surprised if they spanked Real

They look all but set to totally shut out this Monaco side over two legs, which is impressive, as they score goals for fun.

Higuain has really added an efficiency to their attack. He is so clinical. He has a record of being a big game bottler though. He has the opportunity to put that to bed if he scores in the final.

Pjanic is so good. Dybala is so good also. Great team.

I've a lot of time for Arsene Wenger and what he has accomplished at Arsenal, but he has certainly ran his course and probably should have left several season ago. I want him to depart purely to raise the standard of football "banter" across the internet. "lol wenger" has become a pretty tedious meme. It's not quite as bad as "lol liverpol havenot won da title in 40 years!!!!!! crylaugh emoji" but it's definitely up there. Get in the bin, Mr. Arsene.

I'm so glad that us an Sunderland are going to pass each other on the way up/down. That really capped-off a successful season for us. Utterly sick of the derby. I like a bit of good-natured trolling as much as anyone, but I'm pretty tired of the bile and venom those games tend to provoke. I hope they rot in hell, and we never play them again.

10 hours ago, Murrr said:

I've a lot of time for Arsene Wenger and what he has accomplished at Arsenal, but he has certainly ran his course and probably should have left several season ago. I want him to depart purely to raise the standard of football "banter" across the internet. "lol wenger" has become a pretty tedious meme. It's not quite as bad as "lol liverpol havenot won da title in 40 years!!!!!! crylaugh emoji" but it's definitely up there. Get in the bin, Mr. Arsene.

I'm so glad that us an Sunderland are going to pass each other on the way up/down. That really capped-off a successful season for us. Utterly sick of the derby. I like a bit of good-natured trolling as much as anyone, but I'm pretty tired of the bile and venom those games tend to provoke. I hope they rot in hell, and we never play them again.

I disagree, after recent history I wish we were playing them next season. Would be our best chance in a long while. Give them a spanking...then not play them for a while.

• Upvote 1

Sunderland under Moyes is a guaranteed 3 points in a home game for just about everyone in the league. Little bit of a shame they're going down.

But also not a shame at all, after the years or circling the drain and having a narrow escape from the drop. Their Premier League existence in the last few years has been a bit pointless.

No more Lee Cattermole and his shirt tucked in to his hiked up shorts. And no more David Moyes. Hopefully. The guy is a parody. He's managed two clubs since his spectacular failure at United, and he still has the occasional whinge about "not getting the time" and how "even Fergie would have struggled". He'll get less of a platform for that in the Championship. Good.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Arsenal do still have a chance to nick top 4 on Sunday.

I don't think they will, but I really want them to. Hopefully Boro, who have absolutely nothing to play for and most of them will probably have an eye on leaving now they're going down, can nick a draw at Anfield, and Arsenal can do Everton, who also have nothing to play for.

Sheffield Wednesday are cursed to never return to the Premier League. Two botched playoffs in a row. An own goal equaliser and losing on penalties is a cruel way to go.

On 18/05/2017 at 3:49 PM, Soda Jerk said:

Looks like Arsenal do still have a chance to nick top 4 on Sunday.

I don't think they will, but I really want them to. Hopefully Boro, who have absolutely nothing to play for and most of them will probably have an eye on leaving now they're going down, can nick a draw at Anfield, and Arsenal can do Everton, who also have nothing to play for.

Jurgen-Klopp.jpg

• Upvote 1

That did sound a bit anti-Liverpool, unintentionally. I just want Wenger to stay forever, so they can continue being a pretty good but largely unthreatening side. I think the cup final will be the end of him, regardless of the result, in an LvG sort of way. Top 4 could have probably saved him for one more year.

Arsenal will struggle next year if they treat the Europa League the way United have, and the way Liverpool did the year before. It's such an unnecessarily bloated competition. Too many teams, too many rounds. Spurs did the right thing of not giving a stuff about it, and focusing on comfortably finishing 2nd. United should have done the same. Top 4 was doable, as City, Liverpool, Arsenal and United seems to be locked in a battle to see who could not finish in the top 4. The amount of points dropped in the last 10 games or so was just silly.

Anyway. Juve to win big ears. Do it for Gigi.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Banter on Wikipedia:

Leigh Griffiths

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leigh Griffiths
Personal information
Full name Leigh Griffiths
Date of birth 20 August 1990 (age 26)
Place of birth Edinburgh, Scotland
Height 5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)
Playing position Striker
Club information
Current team
Celtic
Number 9
Senior career*
Years Team Apps (Gls)
2006–2009 Livingston 47 (22)
2009–2011 Dundee 47 (21)
2011–2014 Wolverhampton Wanderers 26 (12)
2011–2013 Hibernian (loan) 66 (31)
2014– Celtic 94 (64)
National team
2008–2009 Scotland U19[1] 6 (1)
2008–2012 Scotland U21[2] 11 (3)
2009 Scotland B[3] 1 (1)
2012– Scotland 13 (2)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 20:33, 21 May 2017 (UTC).
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 18:50, 10 June 2017

Leigh Griffiths (born 20 August 1990) is a Scottish footballer who plays as a striker for Celtic and the Scotland national football team. He became a Scottish hero after banging two free kicks in against England in a act of pure patriotism against the scum that are the Englsih (Well done with your grasp of the English language which you all pretend to speak). He was crowned king of Scotland after a day of celebration with all 6473 of his children.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Griffiths