aberdeen-music

2016/17 Football Season Thread

Lemonade

It's a good bit of branding. Whether or not it's a nice club crest is debatable - I happen to think it could make an awesome shirt.

reading football people critique a bit of graphic design is always funny. Suddenly everyone is an art director.

its bold and new and isn't just a spruce up of the existing badge. Hats off to juve imo.

spurs have a chicken standing on a beach ball on heir badge.

It will look smart on a high quality polo shirt or a retro-style track jacket. I just can't picture it on a football shirt yet.

I've often thought a lot of crests look quite dated, probably because football is so dead against change, and most badge changes are reboots of 'classic' crests. E.g. Man City.

It could perhaps have a knock on effect of big clubs modernising their imagery.

As for the year in the making thing - I've seen that being thrown about. Quite obviously one logo didn't take one year to design. If you're talking an entire rebrand though, you're encompassing all kinds of stuff from banners on buses to letterheads for office workers. A lot goes into a rebrand beyond the logo. Added onto that is the amount of testing they will have done to arrive at this final look.

I thought the premier league rebrand last season was great too. Beyond the inital 'it looks like a cartoon' reaction you can see how the whole brand has bled into everything from the scoreboxes during the games to the MOTM trophies, to the mics the commentators use. It's kinda just normal now and instantly recognisable as the premier league. That's the sign of a good rebrand - not a novelty change but something that will last - I think the similar thing will happen with Juve.

Their alternate colours will be interesting to see. The pink with that stark black and white theme will be cool.

I just had a look in to that, and learned that he is 35. How on earth is he 35? When did that happen?

He is older than Obafemi Martins, who has been around since the dawn of time, but is somehow only 32.

Cool fact about Martins. He made the same about of league appearances and scored the same amount of league goals for both Inter and Newcastle. 88 appearances. 28 goals.

• 2 weeks later...

Christie's a good signing, obviously can play a similar role to Maddison who Norwich are holding on to, so fills that gap in the squad.

Sensible move for both Celtic and Aberdeen and good that Rodgers/Celtic weren't stupid enough to be funny about it given they're running away with the league.

Hopefully does well for us and kicks on, whether that's at Celtic thereafter or somewhere else. Hate to see young Scottish players stockpiled by the OF and development stunted by playing reserve football for the length of their contract (see: Allan, Scott).

• 4 weeks later...

Man, how maddening is this Ranieri debate? I genuinely don't understand how people can argue against his sacking given the club's form under his leadership. It looked decisively like he was getting the club relegated, and since when do sentimentality and loyalty trump the crippling impact relegation can have on a club's long-term fortunes?

One argument I keep hearing is that the players have let him down. That's probably true, and the likes of Mahrez and Vardy have almost certainly grown complacent after winning the league and earning the security of big money contracts. Shouldn't it be the coach's job to help them escape that mindset, however, and get them motivated again?

It's a shame that he had to go out like that, but Ranieri will now be remembered as the guy who pulled-off a miraculous title victory, not as a guy who won the league then got relegated the following season. Facts don't care about your feelings, and factually, Leicester were one of the worst teams in the league under his management. 

I don't know where I stand on it. He had to go, but I also agree he was let down. It's a tough one. 

I agree completely it was the managers job to motivate those players, and he obviously failed at that, but to pull out your best performance of the season against a very good side only 4 or 5 days after Ranieri was binned is a bit hard to come to terms with. It makes it look like those players were just not playing for the manager anymore, and perhaps knew if they continued to do so, Ranieri would take all the blame for it. 

Some of the performances earlier in the season were diabolical. Lots of stories about Vardy and Schmeichel leading the mutiny. We'll never really know what went on there, but on the pitch, Huth and Morgan were the most to blame over the longest period IMO. Both looked like they would rather be anywhere else in almost every game. Both just walked through games, not holding their line, not communicating, just moping about like the kid in PE who didn't want to be tackled or put on the ground. Last night, Morgan looked impenetrable. Huth was everywhere. What changed? Was it because the players, collectively, got what they wanted? I'd say so.

Something definitely needed to happen at Leicester, and if Ranieri couldn't gee them up, then they had to get rid, but I do think the players have gotten him sacked. For whatever reason. Hard to pinpoint when Ranieri lost the players, or even why, we'll never know, but it seems like it happened some time ago based on performances. I find it hard to believe they've turned it around entirely as a result of the tactical and motivational genius of Shakespeare.

Also, there just can't be a football manager called Shakespeare. I'm not having it.

Edited by Soda Jerk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/8/2016 at 4:35 PM, ca_gere said:

The impact of the craziness of last season will still be felt well into this season I think. A few false dawns and presumtpive champions but we won't know the real contenders till past Christmas.

I think a Man Utd under Mourinho will be very strong. They have all the tools they need and I think they'll be in amongst it this season. I think City under Pep will take time to gel and this season will be seen very much as a primer for what's to come. I've been watching some of their 'behind the scenes' videos on youtube and from the baffled looks on some of the players in training, it seems like Pep has completely changed things up. Don't expect to see Joe Hart kick it long much this year. Lots of full-back touches and conservative play until the attacking third. That said, they have such talent they'll do well without being fully cohesive I think.

Conté and Kanté at Chelsea is an exciting prospect. That, and the possibility of Hazard having the balon d'or season he's threatened to have for a while. The young belgian striker they got is no slouch either. They'll either win the league or the champions league, maybe both.

Liverpool and Spurs are the two teams to watch for me though. It's only pre-season but Klopp's signings all look pretty special. As Eups points out, it's perhaps a season too early for them but I think they're in with a good chance this year. Spurs will be interesting because they looked so good last year, it's almost like they just need another shot at the title - however, they're up against much better teams this year. Much less disarray among the top teams going on in general i predict, which may push Spurs back to the 5th/6th team.

here's my predos:

01 - Man Utd

02 - Chelsea

03 - Liverpool

04 - Man City

05 - West Ham

06 - Spurs

07 - Arsenal

08 - Everton

09 - Stoke

10 - Crystal Palace

11 - Leicester

12 - Sunderland 

13 - Sunderland

14 - West Brom

15 - Boro

16 - Swansea

17 - Watford

18 - Bournemouth

19 - Hull

20 - Burnley

Fuck, i've got two sunderlands in there but i can't be hooped figuring out who i've forgotten. Second sunderland denotes whoever it is.

Quoting this now it's the end of the season

over estimated west ham and under estimated spurs.

prediction lookbacks are fun

19 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Quoting this now it's the end of the season

over estimated west ham and under estimated spurs.

prediction lookbacks are fun

You severely overestimated David Moyes.

I also argued against your prediction:

"Can't see Arsenal bombing to 7th. Arsenal are incredibly good at one thing - finishing in the top 4. When was the last time they didn't? They're also pretty good at climbing out of their Champions League group, even when they look doomed. I can't see this being the season they don't get into the Champions League. They'll wobble, lose a few games they shouldn't and look a bit hopeless sometimes, but they won't finish outside the top 4."

They're still in it, but I don't see them getting close to it it. They are looking the most hopeless they've looked in many years. They've got some very good players, but they just look so soft. If you're an Arsenal fan, how do you find it within yourself to get behind Ozil every week? He's the biggest big game bottler at any of the top 6 clubs. Mopes around, looking like he'd rather be doing anything than playing football. He is the Anti Sanchez, who is reportedly wanting out, but he still gives everything when he's out there.

I don't even think they'll beat United at home tomorrow, and United will be fielding a weakened side. Maybe. Mourinho said they will, but that might mean that he doesn't, because he loves fucking over Wenger. Come to think of it, I can't see Mourinho sticking that. He's unbeaten against Wenger in competitive games (Wenger's only beaten him in the Community Shield). I don't think he will want to lose that title.