aberdeen-music

2016/17 Football Season Thread

Lemonade

Keeper should have had that free kick covered. Easy to say and it was still some hit but he was oddly nowhere near it coming across goal to 'his' side.  (edit: i'm talking about messi's fk, not the mental one at the beginning)

By the same token though, Messi's probably scored a better goal this year than the Atletico Madrid 'mazy' one. 

The Venezuela v Colombia one should be nowhere near the list. Wretched defending. The ball bounces 3 times in the box without any pressure for starters. Then one defender fucks up, let's the other one jump in as she stands and watches for a few seconds, runs over and just falls over her own feet.

Edited by ca_gere

Cup final was bleh. Two excellent finishes from Forrest and Rogic, but Aberdeen's defenders were pretty woeful (Logan aside). O'Connor made some horrendous decisions, and Considine was having kittens out on the left. I lost track of the number of times Celtic's right-winger (Roberts) had his way with him. Disappointing to see such a capitulation, but Celtic will always be the favourites in matches like this and their array of attacking talents is impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

Bobby Zamora has retired.

Sky Sports referred to him as "former England international". 2 caps.

He scored 19 goals in a season once, and nearly all of them were in the Europa League. Machine. Not a good machine, but a machine of some kind. Perhaps like an old tumble dryer. You have it, but you'd rather not use it because it's totally wasteful and isn't really all that effective.

Feel free to share your favourite Bobby Zamora memories.

I remember him being absolutely banging in a game of Championship Manager. I can't remember the year, but I think he was like 17 years old and playing for Brighton or somebody. You could get him in for £1 million and he'd be one of the game's stop boys within a few seasons. Sign him, plus Etherington and Davies from Peterborough and you'd be fuckin' smashing it. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2016 at 10:58 AM, Soda van Jerk said:

Sorry to have to quickly derail the Zamora Memorial (ZAMORIAL!), but Carlos Tevez is to sign for Shanghai Shenhua, for £635,000 per week.

Over £24m a year.

Lunacy.

Wasn't he complaining about being homesick in Manchester? How's he gonna feel in fucking Shanghai?!

"i've gone back to Argentina to play for my boyhood club. it is my destiny... this club is very close to my heart... hold on... how much?!... 645k?!... Kia, grab my boots, we're off to China"

On 09/12/2016 at 9:09 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Bobby Zamora has retired.

Sky Sports referred to him as "former England international". 2 caps.

He scored 19 goals in a season once, and nearly all of them were in the Europa League. Machine. Not a good machine, but a machine of some kind. Perhaps like an old tumble dryer. You have it, but you'd rather not use it because it's totally wasteful and isn't really all that effective.

Feel free to share your favourite Bobby Zamora memories.

That time he made an appearance at Wrestlemania 32. 

12924363_947883905322051_132932963977263

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Wasn't he complaining about being homesick in Manchester? How's he gonna feel in fucking Shanghai?!

"i've gone back to Argentina to play for my boyhood club. it is my destiny... this club is very close to my heart... hold on... how much?!... 645k?!... Kia, grab my boots, we're off to China"

He was homesick in Manchester, so moved to Italy. Took the scenic route home.

Got back to Argentina, probably realised there's little money in Argentinian football, so he's getting his final pay day. For some reason, he's very disliked in Argentina. Though, I think that goes for all their star players. Aguero, Di Maria and even Messi get a lot of criticism when it comes to the national team. Not Higuaín though. They love that chubby poacher.

Great player. Shame he's got zero loyalty. It was a bit of a gaff from Fergie to favour Berbatov over Tevez, but maybe he saw that Tevez was a bit of a prat before anyone else did. At the time, it certainly didn't look that way on the pitch. He looked incredibly committed. Then at City, he hit his peak and the team was built around him. He was the best player in the league until he swanned off and took a 6 month holiday. He could have probably stayed at Juve a bit longer and had another crack at the Champions League, but he decided he's finally going home. He got home, it wasn't quite the heroic homecoming he thought it would be, nobody particularly likes him, not even his own supporters. Now he's going to where the money is.

He had the ability and the commitment to be a top 5 player in the world, but he just never seemed to realise that. I don't know if he really is a bit of a prat, or if it was that Kia fella who gave him poor advice. I think it could have been a bit of both.

1 hour ago, Murrr said:

I love cunty characters like Tevez, TBH. They make the sport interesting. Generic media-trained good guys are dull.

I agree. I love me some Diego Costa in particular. Especially the one from the last two seasons. What an absolute whopper. He is pure entertainment, but also among the best #9s around. It's great when a player comes along with the right mix of talent and lunacy. Costa nails it.

That said, Costa is villainous whilst still performing. I think there'll always be a bit of "what if?" with Tevez, as he could have had a better career than he ended up having if not for some poor decisions. He was just so bloody good when he was on it. I did particularly like his golf swing celebration when he returned from his 6 month holiday, strolled straight back in to the side and scored a goal.

On 13/12/2016 at 7:18 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

I agree. I love me some Diego Costa in particular. Especially the one from the last two seasons. What an absolute whopper. He is pure entertainment, but also among the best #9s around. It's great when a player comes along with the right mix of talent and lunacy. Costa nails it.

That said, Costa is villainous whilst still performing. I think there'll always be a bit of "what if?" with Tevez, as he could have had a better career than he ended up having if not for some poor decisions. He was just so bloody good when he was on it. I did particularly like his golf swing celebration when he returned from his 6 month holiday, strolled straight back in to the side and scored a goal.

I've grown to really appreciate Roy Keane in recent years, which is a shame, because I hated him when he was a player. My perception on football's villains has really changed in recent years and I just don't think it's worth getting worked-up by these guys. Instead, I view them in the same light as a classic wrestling heel, a Ric Flair or Ted DiBiase: they might be terrible cunts at heart, but I'm pretty sure most of them are playing a role to a certain degree. Might as well enjoy the show because it doesn't do me any harm, and it's tremendously entertaining to watch these guys bend other players out of shape with rampant fuckery.

With Keane, I love how grumpy and contrarian he is when doing punditry. He just disagrees for the sake of disagreeing and never backs down from it, which makes his cornball, media-trained colleagues incredibly uncomfortable. Still, my favourite Keane moment remains the time Alan Shearer played him at his own game and goaded him into throwing a punch after asking if he wanted an autograph. Grade A trolling from Shearer, or "The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived."

There are exceptions to the rule, of course. Pepe is a rampant arsehole who only ever seems to succeed in winding himself up, and of course he beat the shit out of that Getafe player that one time. A coward through and through.

Dani Osvaldo was one of my favourites. I'm not sure what he's doing at the moment, but I was majorly into Italian football when he was at Roma, and that man is just a perfect footballer. Bags of flair and technique, but super inconsistent, and my god was he an angry bastard. I remember when he smacked Erik Lamela for daring to shoot instead of passing to him. Dude was just as likely to curl a 30-yarder into the top corner as he was suplex an opponent into the advertising boards.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Murrr said:

Dani Osvaldo was one of my favourites. I'm not sure what he's doing at the moment, but I was majorly into Italian football when he was at Roma, and that man is just a perfect footballer. Bags of flair and technique, but super inconsistent, and my god was he an angry bastard. I remember when he smacked Erik Lamela for daring to shoot instead of passing to him. Dude was just as likely to curl a 30-yarder into the top corner as he was suplex an opponent into the advertising boards.

Some recent details on Dani Osvaldo here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/dec/15/anti-sports-personality-year-awards-2016

I'm looking forward to hearing his music.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Murrr said:

I've grown to really appreciate Roy Keane in recent years, which is a shame, because I hated him when he was a player. My perception on football's villains has really changed in recent years and I just don't think it's worth getting worked-up by these guys. Instead, I view them in the same light as a classic wrestling heel, a Ric Flair or Ted DiBiase: they might be terrible cunts at heart, but I'm pretty sure most of them are playing a role to a certain degree. Might as well enjoy the show because it doesn't do me any harm, and it's tremendously entertaining to watch these guys bend other players out of shape with rampant fuckery.

With Keane, I love how grumpy and contrarian he is when doing punditry. He just disagrees for the sake of disagreeing and never backs down from it, which makes his cornball, media-trained colleagues incredibly uncomfortable. Still, my favourite Keane moment remains the time Alan Shearer played him at his own game and goaded him into throwing a punch after asking if he wanted an autograph. Grade A trolling from Shearer, or "The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived."

There are exceptions to the rule, of course. Pepe is a rampant arsehole who only ever seems to succeed in winding himself up, and of course he beat the shit out of that Getafe player that one time. A coward through and through.

I agree with that in particular. One that sticks out in that regard is Craig Bellamy. He's been involved in a couple of fracas' off the pitch when he was younger, but by many accounts, he seems to be a pretty cool guy off the pitch. Super nice, does buttloads for charity in Africa and also his local community in Cardiff. On the pitch, he was a nutter and a bit of a cunt. Great to watch too. Pure energy. Tevez-like. Full blooded commitment, but loved a scrap.

I also quite like Joe Hart. I've read he's a bit of a cunt, whether he's on a pitch or not. I do like how he bypasses the media training in post-game interviews and actually says something real. I actually think that part of him isn't an act, and he just has no interest in rattling off the usual "Ehhhhhm y'know, difficult place to come obviously, ehhhhm, no easy games in the Premier League y'know, obviously we wanted the 3 points, and ehhhhm, obviously we just take each game as it comes obviously, y'know, obviously ehhhhm" because it means nothing, it doesn't communicate with the supporters and it doesn't convey any passion for the club or the sport.

Wayne Rooney, even in his younger days when he was aggressive, erratic, and played on the edge, his media training was excellent, and still is. He's constantly been in the spotlight since he was very young, and he's not made it easy for himself with the affairs, the contract disputes, his life in general, but his handling of the media has been ridiculously good. It's fucking boring. Why hasn't he chinned a journalist, at least once, in his 15 year career to date? How has he not had Geoff Shreeves in a headlock and put him through a table, ever? What a waste.

Edited by Soda van Jerk
  • Upvote 1

I am always curious to the path that also-ran footballers take in their careers and this has lead me to find out that Liam Miller, the Irish international footballer that turned out for Celtic, Manchester United and Leeds, is now plying his trade for the Wilmington Hammerheads. The 'heads (as nobody calls them) are currently in the fourth tier of American soccer, which leaves me imagining that the level of football is marginally above a one legged arse kicking contest. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...