aberdeen-music

2016/17 Football Season Thread

Lemonade

17 hours ago, Mr Owl PhD said:

And are Aberdeen going to win the cup final against Celtic?

I don't think we will, but That Old Thing - "anything can happen in a cup final" - rings true.

Celtic are very strong and will only gain strength and confidence over the next month. People will look at Saturday's game as a yardstick for the final, too, which I think is not sensible, but it would be good to as best go toe-to-toe with Celtic at the weekend to make a point in advance of the final. If we get pumped then that'll obviously harm confidence going into the final, and that classic "Aberdeen can't do it against Celtic" mindset perpetuated by the Glasgow press will grow arms and legs again.

EDIT= Also, smug Celtic cans can actually just get to fuck. I know it's The Way Of Things, but you are essentially just buying the league, guys.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

EDIT= Also, smug Celtic cans can actually just get to fuck. I know it's The Way Of Things, but you are essentially just buying the league, guys.

I find it impossible to make this argument with most Celtic fans, which is completely absurd, because the gulf in resources as absolutely the reason they're able to achieve such success. In 2013/14 (the latest figures I could find), Celtic's wage budget was £901k, and Aberdeen's £141K: a difference of 639%. 639%! Aberdeen shouldn't even be in the same conversation, competitively speaking.

The most common counter argument to this is "aye, you jealous?" or "yeah but we sign good players." What does that even mean?!

I'm not at all upset about their superior resources but I find the lack of acknowledgement very frustrating. 

21 hours ago, Murrr said:

I find it impossible to make this argument with most Celtic fans, which is completely absurd, because the gulf in resources as absolutely the reason they're able to achieve such success. In 2013/14 (the latest figures I could find), Celtic's wage budget was £901k, and Aberdeen's £141K: a difference of 639%. 639%! Aberdeen shouldn't even be in the same conversation, competitively speaking.

The most common counter argument to this is "aye, you jealous?" or "yeah but we sign good players." What does that even mean?!

I'm not at all upset about their superior resources but I find the lack of acknowledgement very frustrating. 

I am not sure what Aberdeen fans are expecting from Celtic, a wage budget 639% higher than Aberdeen's doesn't mean that players, staff, performances should be 639% better. The is not a linear correlation between the two, else you could look at the English premiership and the team that spends the most on players will win most of the competitions. What it will mean is that for the foreseeable future Celtic will win the majority of domestic competitions.

It is pretty easy to acknowledge that Celtic have huge resources and that is because the club has reportedly over 9 million supporters worldwide, a crazy figure.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hakuba Mountain Wizards said:

Any sensible Celtic fan should do that, I think that is exemplified by the frustration felt by fans towards Ronny Deila at the end of his managerial reign.

A lot don't though, and that's the problem.

I'm not stupid enough to think that a 639% wage gap means Celtic should also be out-performing Aberdeen by 639%, but it's absolutely gigantic, and a huge, huge factor in Celtic's ongoing success. I'm also not ignorant to the factors contribution towards this figure (the fanbase, economics, the Old Firm rivalry, etc.), but I didn't mention them because they're irrelevant to my argument. 

Football is ultimately an "unfair" sport, but that's probably the way it should be. If it was structured more like an American sports league, where lesser teams are given favourable draft picks, it would completely eliminate the possibility of things like Leicester City happening. Said teams would never face such a prolonged spell in the doldrums, so the gloss would be taken off their eventual triumph, and the moment wouldn't be as special.

I don't begrudge Celtic's superior resources at all. It's just a direct result of the game taking its natural course, and playing out without any interference. It's capitalism, basically. The free market in full flow. I'd just like more self-awareness from the other side, particularly those who perceive someone point-out the wage gap as an attack. It's not: it's a fact.

It's why winning the League Cup a few seasons ago was such a hugely cathartic moment for Aberdeen fans. The greater the struggle, the greater the victory. 

1 hour ago, Murrr said:

It's why winning the League Cup a few seasons ago was such a hugely cathartic moment for Aberdeen fans. The greater the struggle, the greater the victory. 

This is the crux of it for me - I would absolutely rather be an Aberdeen fan than a Celtic fan (obviously), but talking to their comparative positions too.

Basically, I'd rather win one trophy every ten years and for it to actually mean something than rack up a routine series of honours because we're outspending the competition by x percent.

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:21 PM, Murrr said:

Football is ultimately an "unfair" sport, but that's probably the way it should be. If it was structured more like an American sports league, where lesser teams are given favourable draft picks, it would completely eliminate the possibility of things like Leicester City happening. Said teams would never face such a prolonged spell in the doldrums, so the gloss would be taken off their eventual triumph, and the moment wouldn't be as special.

Let's not forget that there are still teams who have never won a SuperBowl, for example. The idea of parity is built into those models but they rarely pan out that way.

On 26/10/2016 at 2:44 PM, Adam Easy Wishes said:

This is the crux of it for me - I would absolutely rather be an Aberdeen fan than a Celtic fan (obviously), but talking to their comparative positions too.

Basically, I'd rather win one trophy every ten years and for it to actually mean something than rack up a routine series of honours because we're outspending the competition by x percent.

I can actually verify this. I supported Rangers for many years before switching allegiance in my 20s. I saw Rangers win so many leagues and cups it was almost boring. You were guaranteed they win at least one trophy a season. I never ever felt the sort of the nerves and tension and exhilaration that I do following Aberdeen. When we won that League Cup my neighbours must have thought I'd gone absolutely mental. And I've never enjoyed a moment more than Jamie Smith's winner against them at Pittodrie in 2007. The absolute joy when that goal went in , and the whole city absolutely bouncing. Because of one league match! I was supposed to be at work that night, I didn't even bother ringing in sick, I just took the disciplinary. 

In case anyone missed this. Once you see it, you can't stop watching it. Spare a thought for these fallen brave men.

If it's not clear in the low res gif, it's an empty water bottle.

[IMG]

Suarez. He is a pantomime of a man. It's a shame he's actually quite good at the football thing, because he's just the most unredeemable human

They know that's going to be slo-mo replayed all over the telly. How can they think that's a good idea.

You can tell Digne and Denis Suarez are new to the Barca way. They haven't a clue what's going on.

UEFA have confirmed that Aberdeen will get around £600,000 for playing in the qualifying stages of the Europa League this season.

Celtic, for playing in the group stages of the Champions' League, will secure a minimum of £26,000,000.

LOL

http://stv.tv/sport/football/1371678-celtic-now-guaranteed-at-least-28-8m-in-champions-league-revenue/

• 2 weeks later...