aberdeen-music

2016/17 Football Season Thread

Lemonade

6 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

That is a better use of Curbsy. Approved.

I have a feeling Big Sam will stay and just get a public slap on the wrists. 

I hope Mike Phelan gets it though. Fuck Hull. Toilet club. Get out and be the England manager.

Well, I was wrong. He's gone.

I hope im not wrong about Mike 'more than a' Phelan. G'wan Mick. 

Phenomenal bit of football drama.

Couldn't care less about Big Sam and his "dream job". You do dodgy shit and get caught, you should be out on your arse. Good riddance.

The pint of wine and the prince harry comment were particular highlights of the whole thing.

Still, the 100% win record will look nice on his CV.

I really haven't a clue who will get it. Allardyce seemed to get it because he was the only one left. When you bin the only one left, who is left? I don't think it should be an Englishman, because there isn't anyone good enough. The best English manager around right now is Eddie Howe, and it is probably way too soon in his career for it.

So, there's only one man left.

Image result for louis van gaal 

It'll be gareth Southgate on a temporary basis, he'll lead them to top of qualifying, then whichever prem manager loses their job first will get it (Hughes maybe?). This will lead to a poor tournament and people will bemoan the fact GS didn't get it permanently.

that or a big name currently managing in Qatar/china (Pellegrini?) where the FA will work out some dodgy deal involving lots of money and rights.

It will definitely be an Englishman.

Steve Bruce is probably the front-runner, purely because he's sort of Big Sam lite. Medium Sam. A 'proper football man', has 'earned the right' and loves a pint, no doubt.

Doubt the FA will go anywhere near Pardz, although I think he would be a reasonable appointment!

The best thing they could do is get Eddie Howe in now on a long-term contract and give him the opportunity to build things through the youth teams etc. Doubt it'll happen because a) it would involve large balls from the FA and an understanding that it won't necessarily provide instant success and b) I think Howe (certainly from his Big Interview with Graham Hunter) would feel a bit lost without the day-to-day with players, and so probably feels he has much to give club management before taking the England job.

I do wonder about a foreign manager for England, as the current home grown choices seem like they would be panic filling and wouldn't last a qualifying campaign.

Celtic are going to crush* Man City tonight, that's my footballing prediction for today.

*crush = host Man City at Parkhead.

If it has to be an Englishman, it should be Southgate. He has done a very good job with the youth set ups, and he nearly always had a shit squad at his disposal, because the English look down their noses at U21 football, as if it's for Championship players, and not the best players available in that age group. I think he has quietly rebuilt his reputation as a manager at international level, and he now has much greater international experience than the likes of Pardew and Bruce.

Though the more I think about it, the more I think Van Gaal would be a genuinely great two year stop gap. He can do the majority of the job from his retirement villa in Portugal. He doesn't yearn for day to day hands on coaching. He also made that terrible Dutch side hard to beat in 2014. That was a garbage squad bar Robben and Blind, and he got them 3rd place in the World Cup. I think he could do the same with England. 3rd/4th place would be a better tournament finish for nearly 30 years.

He is also a right laugh. Bruce and Southgate are stiffs. Pardew is laughably arrogant. LvG has a reason to be arrogant. He won stuff. The only downside is that he will always play Rooney, forever and ever. He bloody loves Rooney. Urgh. But maybe the FA could drill in to him that he's shit now, and that he's scored two league goals in 10 months. 

Edited by Soda van Jerk
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Is Dowie still even managing?

Image result for iain dowie manager

Have you ever seen two people have less of an idea of what they're doing than in this photo?

Gang signs, obvs.

Here's my favourite Dowie/Shearer photo though:-

_45762783_shearer_dowie.jpg

Google tells me that Dowie is currently working as a sales manager for some surveying company. What a tragedy, man. A bright young managerial talent snuffed-out in his prime. Miss you, sweet prince.

Cambridge leading 2-1 against Accrington Stanley going into injury time yesterday.  Penalty to Stanley and red card, penalty missed.  From the saved penalty, ball handled on line, straight red, 2nd Stanley penalty missed.  Played out the last few mins with 9 men and won the game.  Moments like that make the 95% of dross you have to ensure all worthwhile!  3 wins on the bounce, up to the heady heights of 19th in the league!

• Upvote 1

I must say I'm enjoying a degree of schadenfreude from Aston Villa's current malaise. 2 points off the relegation zone, manager binned after 11 games. They have such a weird chip on their shoulder towards us, and I'm not really sure why. It started on the day they relegated us back in 2009, when their fans showed-up with dozens of banners and celebrated the whistle as if they'd won the FA Cup. Weird.

There's been some heat between our fans since then, and it has increased since we were both relegated. The handful of Villa fans I know are really insecure about their club's image, and will go out of their way to point-out that they're a "bigger" club with us without any sort of provocation. It's really strange, and the kind of behaviour befitting of those "deluded Geordies" the media always bring-up (but I've yet to meet myself).

Hope they appoint someone shitty like Steve McClaren, and follow it up with a 17th-place finish. That Tony Xia strikes me as a daft one, too, particularly during the Twitter spat he had with Ian Holloway in August. He's very open with the fans on Twitter, which has its advantages, but I feel that certain aspects of a club's operation are best served behind closed doors. I can see this ending in tears. 

Owners on Twitter needs to stop. It initiates way more negatives than positives.

West Ham's David Gold is an utter boob on social media (and in real life). He starts transfer rumours himself and just bullshits constantly. Not that it's surprising. He's a bit of a wang. Remember when he said the West Ham fans didn't do anything to the Man United team bus? 

He was on telly, just shaking his head "Nah. Didn't happen. They arrived late. Cancel the game. Give West Ham the 3 points, thankyou very much". Then the videos and pictures flooded in of the windows all done in. Shithouse. David Sullivan apologised, but David Gold kept his head down for a couple of weeks after.

Owners aren't pundits. They don't have the capacity to be professional and impartial. They shouldn't interact with the media, fans or anyone publicly IMO. Leave it to the actual football people. The manager. The players.

Never met the allegedly stereotypical deluded Geordie either, though I've heard about them a lot, specifically around the time Newcastle fans wanted Pardew out, a Man Utd forum I frequent banded the 'deluded' tag around. Not sure what it refers to or why, but Man Utd fans on the internet are predominantly dickheads anyway. Every Newcastle fan I know seems to be more of a gallows-humour type. What are you lot supposedly deluded about?

Edited by Soda van Jerk

• 3 weeks later...