aberdeen-music

2016/17 Football Season Thread

Lemonade

Can't wait for football to start again. The Euros were largely disappointing. So many big players just didn't turn up. France blew it because of Deschamps and his tactical negativity. How on earth did Coman, Kante and Martial barely get a look in, whilst there was always a Giroud or a Gignac on the pitch? How did Gignac even get picked?

very few good games barring Portugal Hungary, and the hilarious Germany Italy shootout.

Is that Celtic's worst result ever? Either way, it's Lincoln Red Imps' best result ever. 

Cool fact about football in Gibraltar. All the clubs, even the womens clubs, play in the same stadium. There are only two full sized football pitches in the country, the other is owned by the military. 

Even if it were true, it's an artificial pitch so htf would they find anything? Or hide things for others to find?

Actually, is that how it works? The metal detectorist society. Any metal detectorist society - do they explore untapped lands or do they plant stuff somewhere in a marked section of land that they always use? NEW TOPIC: FAO Metal Detectorists

• Upvote 2

The Euros was a real disappointment but hey ho club football is where its at anyway.  I was shocked how low Scottish football status is by the clubs entering Europe at such an early stage!  And as for Celtic bloody hell they bust me coupon!  And Rodgers had the nerve to say the result wasn't "embarrassing".  Oh dear should be comfy enough in the second leg mind.

Another season languishing in mid table with early cup exits beckons for Cambridge United... I wouldn't expect anything else!

On 7/13/2016 at 7:29 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

The metal detector thing was definitely made up, but the two pitches in the country is true.

Go on. Google Earth over Gibraltar and find more than two football pitches.

Not that I did that. That is saaaad.

I did it.

I found two right away and got excited about defying you, but that's all I could find.  Gibraltar is so comically small that you can basically spot them both with a full view of the principality.  

17 minutes ago, MattJimF said:

The only way that could have happened is if he was in Universal Studios on holiday and wandered on to a film set by accident. Either that or one of his mates worked on the film and got him a cameo. Was Vinny Jones in it?  

Looks like the much-maligned Sam Allardyce for England. Not a very inspired appointment, but who else is there? It was him or Pardew. The argument that so many foreign players in the Premier League is affecting the national team has been going on forever, but it's starting to go the same way with managers IMO. The Premier League is attracting the best players and managers in the world, but the number of English players and managers in the league must be at an all time low. I've got no statistics to back that up, but it sounds right so I'll go with it.

2 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Looks like the much-maligned Sam Allardyce for England. Not a very inspired appointment, but who else is there? It was him or Pardew. The argument that so many foreign players in the Premier League is affecting the national team has been going on forever, but it's starting to go the same way with managers IMO. The Premier League is attracting the best players and managers in the world, but the number of English players and managers in the league must be at an all time low. I've got no statistics to back that up, but it sounds right so I'll go with it.

I think Eddie Howe would've been a good shout, Sam can probably handle the egos in ways that Howe couldn't but I think Howe has more tactical ability and plays more attractive football, especially with attacking players in mind.

1 hour ago, Alkaline said:

I think Eddie Howe would've been a good shout, Sam can probably handle the egos in ways that Howe couldn't but I think Howe has more tactical ability and plays more attractive football, especially with attacking players in mind.

Agreed. I'd like to see him get it in the future. He surely should if he continues with his current trajectory.

Yeah, I think it's a bit soon for Eddie Howe personally as well - everything I've read about him says how much of a workaholic he is, basically never switches off (the Graham Hunter Big Interview with EH is great, and well worth a listen). So I reckon international football would be too lightweight for his liking. At this stage, of course.

I really rate him, though, will definitely be in line for a 'big job' before long.