aberdeen-music

Practice space for drums

dick

Being a drummer with no space in the house for a kit (and one particular a$$hole neighbour!), I'm finding it hard to get some decent practice in. Captain Tom's is great, but by the time I've got my gear set up and got warmed up, it's time to pack up and leave. It doesn't result in effective practice given I need to record an album soon.

Some other people must have had this problem... Any solutions (other than "book a longer practice")? For example does anyone know of lockup type places? I remember being at a place at Shore Porters about 10 years ago, but I emailed them and they said they no longer offer spaces like that.

• 2 months later...

There are a few places you can go and practice, Captain Toms, D:Range and Musical Vision - all have decent kits already in the rooms. If it's just for a practice, why would you lug all your own gear? I could understand doing it once or twice before you go into recording to get a good feel for your kit, but for the bulk of it, I doubt you care how the kit sounds for a pracitce session. I know a few folk who have done their recording at D:Range using the house kit - the place is a bit of an undiscovered gem and everything is in great condition.

Being a drummer myself, I used to pop into Tom's during my lunch break once or twice a week just to keep the practice going before I got my own setup done at home and before my work became a bit more strict!!

The other option you have I guess is to go down the electronic kit route - dont think i would do this myself though!! But if it keeps you going it might be worth it. Or silent stroke mesh heads for your acoustic kit in the house (if you could just squeeze up your kit).

Hi Scotty,

Yea I like Toms, the kits are good there. You normally get a nice Tama or Yamaha or something along those lines. To be honest, when I've been to MV in the past the kits have been awful. Generally I don't care how it sounds, but when none of the hardware works, the floor tom collapses and the heads look like a lunar landscape, it's not ideal. Frankly I can't believe they actually charge people money to use them.

The problem I was trying (and potentially failing) to describe, was just the time it takes to set up cymbal stands, cymbals, kick pedals, laptop etc. Since the stuff I'm writing for the album is quite demanding for me, it takes a while to actually get warmed up and by the time you factor in set up and pack up time (that takes approximately one hour in total), it's really not effective to at a place like Toms. Which is unfortunate cos they're a decent bunch of guys, their place is cool and they do 3 hours for 2 at certain times.

Unfortunately there's not enough space in my room to swing a cat, never mind have an electronic/mesh head kit :p I did once try the mesh head/DIY E-drum thing and it worked quite well with the exception of the kick drum mesh head breaking after about 1 day due to the practice being pretty double kick heavy!