aberdeen-music

The Malpaso Gang at Drummond's Cafe April 2nd 2016

Graham Knight

There is a review below of the Malpaso Gang's performance at Captain Tom's a week ago and last night I saw them again with a totally different show at Drummond's Cafe.

Last week the Gang played all original numbers and this time there was a huge variety of material including some of their own but mainly a variety of country, rockabilly and rock'n'roll.

The show which ran for an hour and half was very popular with the audience and I have never seen so many dancers on Drummond's floor. Some of the dancing was a show in itself and would best be described as agile and athletic.

Aberdeen Music's own Bigsby, (Mr 49 guitars), handled all the vocals and another Aberdeen Music stalwart Flaneur played some great licks on tunes as varied as Jim Reeves "He'll Have to Go" to an excellent version of Don Raye and Freddie's Slack's 1940 hit : "Down The Road A-Piece."

A smiling Bigsby asked the ladies in the crowd if they would like some Willie tonight?  This was the cue for a version of "Almost Always On My Mind." It has been recorded by hundreds of different artists, the most famous of which is that by Elvis Presley. Last night Bigsby eschewed Elvis's big ballad approach and sang a behind the beat version in the style of Willie Nelson.

No Malpaso Gang show is complete without their self penned tribute to "Tabasco Sauce." Bigsby even said , "Our rider demands 10 bottles of Tabasco" and sure enough the audience enthusiastically joined in the now familiar Tabasco chorus.  Other Gang favourites reprised included "White Lightning" and "Folsom Prison Blues."

The biggest reaction of the night came for "Ten Long Fingers on the 88 Keys" a number that only sold a few hundred for Groovey Joe Poovey back in 1958. There were some really great bass lines and solid drumming on this rockin' number that has become a firm favourite with Malpaso Gang fans - they were even singing the words while they bopped around on the dance floor. The original version was less than three minutes but with a little bit of Da Capo the Gang made it into five minute tour de force.

At 90 minutes this was the longest performance I have seen from The Malpaso Gang and on this showing they ought to be playing bigger venues.
  • Upvote 6

• 1 month later...