aberdeen-music

Mains hum

It can be caused by so many things that there's no real easy way of getting rid of it, checking for dodgy cables/connections is a good start - but if the problems being caused by the wiring in your house you'll struggle to get shot of it.

Start by checking cables and trying the amps in different sockets around your house (both amps and any pedals powered from the same socket) to see if you can isolate where the problem is.

Edited by colb

Dunno for sure, but yeah, I'd have thought a noise gate to be the simplest solution to this problem. There might be some unwanted side effects, though, depending on what your style is; like if you want ultra-sustain, once the note fade to a certain level (depending on the settings) it'll just cut out.

Depending on the source of the hum a noise gate may not be effective.  If the hum is introduced post noise gate you'll still have the same problem.

Could be something as simple as interference from lights, fluorescent type lamps will often cause a buzz.  Try turning off all the other electrical items in the room and see if anything has an effect.  Bonus points if you wear a tin foil hat at the same time....

• 2 months later...

I had a problem for ages with one of my basses, nearer I stood to the amp, the worse it hummed. Turned out someone I loaned the guitar to ages ago had had it in bits and missed out the wee plastic washer thingy that stops the jack socket earthing against the steel plate it is mounted on. It has taken me ages to sort this but might be worth checking if your guitar has a similar set up.

• 2 months later...