aberdeen-music

So, Phil Anselmo

16 hours ago, SeaOfEnergy said:

I just dislike how generalist the race discussion is. The oppression undoubtedly starts at the top, and others follow that lead.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here? I would have thought that the race discussion being more generalist would be in line with what you're saying the future needs? A push for "human power" rather than seperate discussions about Black Power, Girl Power, etc? 

And yeah, that second post is a good 'un, the simple message to take away from it being that Black Power is, as ca_gere said, a much more nuanced term than White Power, which fairly universally is a term of hate and oppression, whereas Black Power is a term for ANTI oppression, be it based on race or class. However, I don't believe that Black Autonomy or Separatism are the same thing as Black Supremacy at all, so I still think likening Black Power to White Power is fundamentally inaccurate.

xx

I wavered about wading in back there, and there was maybe a post deleted and everyone converged in the end... but I think a simpler way to have put the black vs white "power" (not that the qualitative contextual and historical arguments don't have merit) is just that the latter is pretty much a euphemism for "white supremacy" (there's also "white nationalism", supposedly more respectable sounding, though sounds pretty transparently vile to me). Whereas "black power" isn't. And then, there is something else called "black supremacy"; nasty in theory but not so scary (to Anglo-Americans anyway) for obvious reasons. [and now I've finished typing this Stroopy might've said the same thing. Oh well.]

The Nazi antiques bit I thought was a more interesting discussion. (I've never listened to Motorhead, other than Ace of Spades, and didn't know about his predilection for Nazi stuff.) Pretty much like Alkaline: I think it's perfectly fine to buy Nazi whatever to put in your house for the same reason you might go look at it in a museum: education, and the atmosphere/feeling that comes with seeing physical evidence that this shit all really happened, way before you were here and that it was much bigger than your puny self (and doesn't have to be WWII ofc.). (I think I'll just leave the purely-for-aesthetics question). But putting it on a t-shirt, let alone on your album cover (sans irony, satire, at least), which pretty much anyone is going to take as a statement of some kind... uuuuhhh, no.

I don't really agree with Ca-gere's (and maybe Alkaline's) assessment that time elapsed since mentalist-genocidal-conquest is the main factor in whether or not collecting related antiques, propaganda, and whatever other artifacts, is offensive or not. One of them perhaps, but I think bigger ones are geography and cultural perception, who shafted whom (and who benefited or suffered in turn) and who read and got angry about whom/which. And then who you ask.

I'd go with Ca-gere on Genghis Khan being a Hitler-league arsehole, but it is possible to make a defensible case otherwise (see bottom. Huge embedded vid. Dunno how to fix. Ouch. Sorry). India is a notorious case of much of the populace thinking Hitler's-not-such-a-bad-guy-really; but here in Poland, they don't exactly view him as EVIL INCARNATE either, which I hazard may have something to do with the conquest of France (liberty, equality) being the beginning of the end of a colony (I think the French, in Algeria, gave the Khmer Rouge - what do we think of those guys? - a run for their money by some particular measure (I will dig up a ref before definitively making a cunt of myself). (Khmer Rouge era cash is one of the more available historical artifacts from this part of the world). And while a Westerner probably can't get away with wearing a Hitler t-shirt in public, I once saw a friend (who I thought was A GBOL in every other way) wearing a Mao t-shirt (every bit as bad as Hitler, and then some IMO) purely for "aesthetic" reasons. No one else saw the problem.

I think I made a point there. Maybe. Carry on.

Edited by scottyboy
  • Upvote 1

On 2/3/2016 at 1:08 PM, Lemonade said:

However that said if Ben Folds was outed as a gun toting, Trump-supporting, hunting-enthusiast, confederate-flag waving dick like Ted Nugent I couldn't listen to him. No crime committed but it's against my politics so much that I wouldn't be able to, nor would I want to. All of that seems unlikely though. 

And as if by magic:

Bataclan Band Singer: Everybody Has To Have Guns

"Eagles of Death Metal frontman Jesse Hughes has claimed that if everyone had guns, the Bataclan theatre massacre may never have happened.

Hughes - a member of America's National Rifle Association and a supporter of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump - questioned whether France's strict gun control laws had saved any lives that tragic night.

"I don't think so. I think the only thing that stopped it was some of the bravest men that I've ever seen in my life charging head first into the face of death with their firearms," he told French TV station iTele.

"I know people will disagree with me ... but that night guns made them equal."

21 hours ago, Lemonade said:

And as if by magic:

Bataclan Band Singer: Everybody Has To Have Guns

"Eagles of Death Metal frontman Jesse Hughes has claimed that if everyone had guns, the Bataclan theatre massacre may never have happened.

Hughes - a member of America's National Rifle Association and a supporter of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump - questioned whether France's strict gun control laws had saved any lives that tragic night.

"I don't think so. I think the only thing that stopped it was some of the bravest men that I've ever seen in my life charging head first into the face of death with their firearms," he told French TV station iTele.

"I know people will disagree with me ... but that night guns made them equal."

Jesse takes a lot of drugs.......

2 hours ago, Stroopy121 said:

I put his staggering level of wrongness on this down to PTSD. Though, if he was an NRA member and Trump supported before the incident, then he's just another fucking idiot.

xx

It is known. From a time before the Paris attacks: http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-devil-and-jesse-hughes-the-donald-trump-supporting-drug-hoovering-frontman-for-eagles-of-death-metal-will-not-apologize-for-anything/

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Stroopy121 said:

How can someone who enjoys recreational drugs want to vote for Trump?? Trump will ban the Mexicans then all the drugs will vanish?!

xx

“There’s nowhere outside of Southern California where the drugs I do are available. I have very exquisite taste."

He's talking about speed.....if he thinks speed is hard to get he might just be kinda dumb?

Another "sorry people were offended by what I said"  apology from Manny Pacquaio instead of "sorry for saying what I said"  apology. Wank. 

"I'm sorry for hurting people by comparing homosexuals to animals. Please forgive me for those I've hurt. God Bless!"

Edited by Lemonade

10 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Another "sorry people were offended by what I said"  apology from Manny Pacquaio instead of "sorry for saying what I said"  apology. Wank. 

"I'm sorry for hurting people by comparing homosexuals to animals. Please forgive me for those I've hurt. God Bless!"

Man who punches men in the face for a living turns out to be a piece of shit. In other news, water continues to be wet.

xx

Trump is the Bernie sanders of the right. It's pretty obvious why he gets support. I think he's a fuck nugget too but if you can't see WHY someone would support him, you're not as smart as the supporters.

also a majority of NRA want more gun regulations (according to a recent polling) and it's the powerful at the top making all the rules.

ahhhh someone has different political ideologies to me aaahhhh he's stupid cuz I'm a smart liberal.

lets get back to racists and pedos, not gun toting speed freaks. They're alright in my book.

35 minutes ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

Trump is the Bernie sanders of the right. It's pretty obvious why he gets support. I think he's a fuck nugget too but if you can't see WHY someone would support him, you're not as smart as the supporters.

This is a fundamental logical mismatch, often perpetrated by fucking idiots, too. Trump's campaign doesn't have a single actual political plan laid out, other than stupid shit like building a wall and banning muslims. Sanders has build his campaign on real politics and actual plans, like free education and healthcare. Couldn't be more different.

Some good points in this video about how that argument is misinformed dogshit:

xx

This is a fundamental logical mismatch, often perpetrated by fucking idiots, too. Trump's campaign doesn't have a single actual political plan laid out, other than stupid shit like building a wall and banning muslims. Sanders has build his campaign on real politics and actual plans, like free education and healthcare. Couldn't be more different.

Some good points in this video about how that argument is misinformed dogshit:

xx

Oh yeah definitely. They're not in the same league. But they're both the outsiders. You've got folk in the right wing that didn't think bush went far enough. They hate the establishment as much as Bernie supporters but for wildly different (and wrong) reasons. 

It's not a dogshit argument. Both sides are looking for outsiders. Trump is the right wing outsider who is fucking up establishment by going in without a plan and telling everyone he doesn't like to fuck off. You're gonna get some "hell yeah 'murica" folk eating that up. Bernie is the left wing outsider who's gonna shake up the establishment by stopping crony capitalism. Hopefully people smarten up and start eating that up instead. But they are the main outsiders for opposing political ideals. 

I watched that video too. Big tyt fan. Half way through joe rogan's podcast with Ana Kasparian (it breaks my heart every day when I remember she's engaged to a super hot basketball player, lowering my already slim chances). 

I don't think trump is credible and is obviously not in the same league as Bernie. But they are the political opposite of eachother. And when you have a scared uninformed American watching debates. He's scared of ISIS, he's on gods side and his gun is literally on his side. This guy looks at Bernie going on about Wall Street. He sees trump talking about banning Muslims and putting up walls. It's not a good plan by any stretch of the imagination, but it's the only plan this guy has heard. And he needs a plan. Cause Fox News told him the minortiies were coming for his family and Obama was gonna make sure to take his gun away so he can't defend himself. Are you really saying that you can't understand why someone would support trump and why they could be seen as political opposites?

3 hours ago, Gypsum_Fantastic said:

I don't think the two really go hand in hand. Plenty of footballers with similar views i'm sure.

I'm not saying one causes the other, I'm just saying it's no surprise that a professional face-puncher isn't a moral signpost for anyone.

xx

Nothing to do with the sport. These are people who devote their lives training in martial arts that require hard work, dedication and respect. 

Manny's views are born out of Catholicism, not from fighting in a ring.

• Upvote 2