aberdeen-music

Small venues vs. noise complaints

I have just read on Facebook about Downstairs' (The Malt Mill) current woes, namely having to install a limiter due to noise complaints from one new resident. This mirrors quite closely issues that Cellar 35 has been experiencing and the implementation of a limiter to that venue has had (in my opinion) a very negative effect on the "event quality" and definitely plays a part in whether or not I go to a gig there.

This is very bad news for local music in Aberdeen, not only the DIY scene since Downstairs plays host to all manner of acts.

It depends on what the limiter does.

My band were supposed to play at Cellar 35 on Saturday but the limiter was being activated by a snare hit meaning the gig had to be abandoned. As a music venue Cellar 35 is effectively dead in my eyes.

We also recently saw how quickly Aberdeen Inspired capitulated to a noise complaint from a resident so this seems to be a strong pattern of behaviour from Aberdeen City Council.

It wasn't all that long ago that ACC were applying to be UK City of Culture but it seems to me that ACC nurture the City's musical culture the same way the firemen nurture literature in Fahrenheit 451.

I don't want this to become a "bloody cooncil!" post but it is baffling how long it can take councils (not just Aberdeen) to take any action over simple issues that need fixed, for example fixing a lamp post or something, yet seemingly a noise complaint can be made and almost immediately, the venue will be shut down. Or maybe it's just the same person complaining about noise every time. Someone high up in the council's asshole son or daughter who keeps purposely moving to flats above pubs/venues. 

Poorly constructed sentences? I got 'em! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kirsten said:

I don't want this to become a "bloody cooncil!" post but it is baffling how long it can take councils (not just Aberdeen) to take any action over simple issues that need fixed, for example fixing a lamp post or something, yet seemingly a noise complaint can be made and almost immediately, the venue will be shut down. Or maybe it's just the same person complaining about noise every time. Someone high up in the council's asshole son or daughter who keeps purposely moving to flats above pubs/venues. 

Poorly constructed sentences? I got 'em! 

This makes it sound like I think the council is just one person or department. I just mean that it seems mad that one area could be so poorly funded that inaction is inevitable, but another can uphold requests insanely quickly. 

Anyway, this whole thing is, again, sucky. There should definitely be a You Know What You're Getting Yourself In For clause on contracts for renting/buying property near venues. Did that ever happen or get close to it? I remember Edinburgh spoke about doing it but don't think it ever happened. 

Edited by kirsten

5 hours ago, kirsten said:

Anyway, this whole thing is, again, sucky. There should definitely be a You Know What You're Getting Yourself In For clause on contracts for renting/buying property near venues. Did that ever happen or get close to it? I remember Edinburgh spoke about doing it but don't think it ever happened. 

Here in Poland, an Agent of Change policy was introduced a couple of years back, putting the onus on whoever has been there the shortest to carry out any necessary soundproofing:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-04/live-music-sound-proofing-law-change-in-victoria/5646570

Simple common sense law - should be far more commonplace than it is.

Edited by -matthEw-

Flash has started a petition.

I think it would be worth all our while getting behind this issue, sharing it on facebook and on twitter and seeing if we can't get something done about this.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/302/699/354/adopt-the-agent-of-change-principle-for-live-music-venues-at-a-local-level/

Edited by Oedo 808

• 1 month later...