aberdeen-music

Albums 2016

kirsten

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I gave the Weezer album a run through. Thank God For Girls is the worst thing I've heard in ages. The two opening tracks are pretty great. Great pop songs. There's a few other decent songs, but the majority are ruined by godawful lyrics. I hate that Rivers is rich and happy. Can't he go back to being an unhinged misanthrope? It made for better songs.

I gave the new Killswitch Engage record a go too. As expected, they've smooshed in as many riffs as possible per song, and they're all great riffs. Jesse Leach's voice is still great too. I felt a bit underwhelmed though. It all felt a bit... soft? I preferred the last one, the first one since Leach returned. I didn't like any of the non-Leach stuff either. I'll give it another go, but I feel like it's missing something. It's very riff-heavy, but without really feeling or sounding heavy.

9 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

I gave the Weezer album a run through. Thank God For Girls is the worst thing I've heard in ages. The two opening tracks are pretty great. Great pop songs. There's a few other decent songs, but the majority are ruined by godawful lyrics. I hate that Rivers is rich and happy. Can't he go back to being an unhinged misanthrope? It made for better songs.

I'd listened to the singles a few times on Spotify so I was prepared for Thank God For Girls, which really is bad. There's some good stuff on White but I think it'll take a few more listens to appreciate it. LA Girlz is excellent but I'm always waiting for a massive singalong chorus that never comes. The whole record is very major key and poppy. Reminds me of Make Believe quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking recently that I hadn't heard a really great album in 2016 but that's changed with 'Singing Saw' by Kevin Morby.  It's consistently great and gets better every time I hear it.  One of those rare albums I'd recommend to anyone, regardless of their tastes.  Some good videos too.

Edited by Mr Owl PhD

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My new flatmate puts on gigs at a small venue nearby. He's got good taste. Last night I ended up seeing two great bands, Weird Lines and Adrian Teacher and the Subs. The latter have an album out this year called Terminal City and I've been listening all day. It's great, super poppy and catchy. 10/10, would recommend (it's on Spotify).

Edited by kirsten