aberdeen-music

Albums 2016

kirsten

Shit! 2016 already. 

What's out? What's coming out? What are you looking forward to. 

I just listened the new Bowie album on Spotify and I quite enjoyed it! Plenty of weird jazz freak-outs to be entertaining despite it only being seven songs long. 

Eleanor Friedberger has a new record out this month too. I think it will be beautiful. 

On 28/01/2016 at 8:16 AM, Doctor Acula said:

There is the Jesu/Sun Kil Moon collaboration. I was listening to it on the way to work, it sounds as you would imagine it to.

Do you like it? I just can't get into it, and I'm a fan of both. Jesu moreso.

It didn't feel like much of collaboration. Mostly just Jesu recordings with some Kozelek vocals planted on top. The best songs were the few that don't really sound like Jesu. The heavy downtuned songs sound weird.

On 30/01/2016 at 3:46 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Do you like it? I just can't get into it, and I'm a fan of both. Jesu moreso.

It didn't feel like much of collaboration. Mostly just Jesu recordings with some Kozelek vocals planted on top. The best songs were the few that don't really sound like Jesu. The heavy downtuned songs sound weird.

On first listen I thought that it sounded a bit muddled and not very cohesive at all. I'll give it a few more listens though.

12 hours ago, Richard Pictures said:

Belly have announced that they are reforming, with the intention of releasing new material and a UK tour in July. Lovely stuff.

I also hope this is good! 

Sunflower Bean's record came out last week and it is ace. They're playing one date in Scotland, Edinburgh next Monday (15th) if anybody is around. 

Bob Mould also just played in Edinburgh (what is this, Edinburgh-Music.com?! The fuck outta here!) and his new songs sound ace. It's not out til next month, though. 

One for @Soda van Jerk, new Steven Page record out on March 11th. He currently has no plans to play Edinburgh. The single 'Surprise Surprise' hasn't really grabbed me, but I'm looking forward to the rest of it anyway. 

Also, I'm really glad that Blackstar by David Bowie is actually ace and that there was at least a two day window to come to this conclusion because it's true, rather than out of obligation, before he died. It sounds heartbreaking now, though. Emotional times. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/02/2016 at 11:12 PM, kirsten said:

I also hope this is good! 

Sunflower Bean's record came out last week and it is ace. They're playing one date in Scotland, Edinburgh next Monday (15th) if anybody is around.

(I said 'ace' way too many times in that last post) 

I've upgraded Sunflower Bean's album to 'Total Belter' status. It is great, I've had it on repeat all week. 

On 10/02/2016 at 11:12 PM, kirsten said:

One for @Soda van Jerk, new Steven Page record out on March 11th. He currently has no plans to play Edinburgh. The single 'Surprise Surprise' hasn't really grabbed me, but I'm looking forward to the rest of it anyway.

I ordered the signed copy of this yesterday but so far none of his solo stuff has grabbed me in the way his stuff with the BNL have,

Other albums bought so far this year include the new Wendy James album - still unsure, she has done some crap (Racine 1 & 2) but the second Transvision Vamp Album Velveteen and Now Aint the Time for Your Tears (written by Elvis Costello) are both awesome albums, i do love her vocals, but I'm not convinced she can actually write too well, this new album was co-written with Glen Matlock but it hasn't grabbed me yet, though I quite like some of it.

I have pledged on the new Marillion, and Tony Wright albums so far, but most of my purchases have been rebuying older stuff I either missed on release or lost through the years,