aberdeen-music

Celebrity Dead Pool 2016 - "The Grim Sweeper"

Lemonade

On 3/4/2016 at 9:00 PM, scottyboy said:

Daesh/IS are denying he's dead and have provided some photos which sceptics have stated/shown (I'm not interested/well-informed enough to know which) are years old (if he were alive, he's hardly going to call a press conference and invite CNN, I guess). The US military/intelligence/officials seem convinced they hit and at least vegetebalised him in that airstrike, and that (or because) he literally hasn't been heard from since (seems they intercepted and listened in on his comms as a matter of course) that airstrike, before which they got last minute info about his whereabouts.

Daesh have confirmed Al-Shishani dead, FWIW.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/07/14/tbilisi-says-fight-will-go-on-after-slaying-of-georgian-isis-commander/?utm_content=buffer72807&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Upvote 1

On 25/1/2016 at 2:59 PM, Lemonade said:

Scottyboy
Bhumibol Adulyadej    
Fidel Castro    
Qaboos bin Said al Said    Joker
Robert Mugabe    
Sepp Blatter    
Nuon Chea    
Hun Sen    
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi    
Queen Elizabeth    
Prince Philip    
Pentti Linkola    
Vinnie Jones    
James Lovelock    
Abu Waheeb    
Abu Omar al-Shishani    
Abu Ali al-Anbari    
Don King    
Najib Razak    
Mahathir bin Mohamad    
Jimmy Carter    

Um, after Al-Shishani I thought to check up on the others. :D

Abu Waheeb was killed in May:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/09/key-islamic-state-leader-killed-in-coalition-air-strike-in-iraqs/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Waheeb

And Abu Ali al-Anbari (former 2nd-in-command) probably in March, May at the latest:

http://www.vocativ.com/314411/isis-confirms-the-death-of-its-deputy-leader/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Ali_al-Anbari

• Upvote 1

I think they are at least as credible celebrities as dinosaur B-list wrestlers and country singers and 50s TV actors. :p

If that's a serious question: my personal yardstick is whether there is a (long-standing) Wiki article and/or whether there is an obituary or news coverage in a major and/or respected media outlet. And they pass that by some way, One of those two was the second-in-command of the whole organisation/"state", not really just personnel. The other was a provincial leader and more like the Kim Kardashian of jihad; but again, seems he got more (UK certainly) press coverage than the other guy.

I did some quick arithmetic and I think those 2 almost equalled Bigsby's whole score this year thus far (one those was either 29 or 30, only his year of birth is known, so on the boundary of two points bands); and the first (I think?) unnatural causes (other than Winehouse) bonuses; and finally some big multiple points payoff from, again, something other than terminal cancer victims. What's not to like?

I think if it's a Wiki page then it needs to have been there for some agreed amount of time. It's easy to create a bogus Wiki page about anyone or anything, but not having it deleted is another thing. On the other hand, a Wiki page being allowed to stay up is usually just based on news coverage (for people; academic research for srs biz subjects) so again obituaries/media gloating might do essentially the same thing, without the same (small) possibility of manipulation.

Edited by scottyboy

I think Wikipedia is a better measure, no matter how minor the celebrity there will be a obituary for them somewhere. A local TV weatherman from Idaho, a washboard player in some long-forgotten skiffle band or a 1970s jobbing wrestler will have obituaries in the Idaho papers, a skiffle website or a wrestling new site. 

I've never created a Wiki page but I assume it gets checked no? I assume there are guidelines about how well known a person needs to be to have a Wikipedia page like there are with bands. 

4 hours ago, Lemonade said:

I've never created a Wiki page but I assume it gets checked no? I assume there are guidelines about how well known a person needs to be to have a Wikipedia page like there are with bands. 

No. Well, yes... eventually. Assuming nothing has changed recently: one can create a page/article without anyone checking it (if you have an account; if for some insane reason you don't want to sign up for a free login, you then have to submit it for someone else to create). Sooner rather than later (probably) someone will in practice check it, and if it's plainly bullshit it'll probably be quickly deleted. Anything above plain bullshit (for topics like bands), it can actually be rather more messy to get something deleted.

They are significantly stricter about biographies (of living people), though, since this: (I was going to explain it, but let's just link the - irony! - wiki article) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Seigenthaler_biography_incident  . So maybe new articles on real people get checked; but I think all they've done is that edits to existing articles only go live immediately if it's someone with a 1 month old+ account (otherwise they have to be checked... by anyone with a 1 month+ old account), and that's it.

Maybe I could've just googled the answer; either way I think Wiki is probably best, with some kind of length-of-time caveat.

Edited by scottyboy