aberdeen-music

Celebrity Dead Pool 2016 - "The Grim Sweeper"

Lemonade

16 hours ago, scottyboy said:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35899711

Kapow. Not one of the ones I picked it seems, though.

Though on that note, Abu Omar al-Shishani is (pretty surely...) dead.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/14/politics/u-s-confirms-death-of-isis-operative-omar-al-shishani/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Omar_al-Shishani

Definitely had an unnatural causes one now.

0642df49-250_1488957a.jpg

Ronnie Corbett

Age 85

6 points

No bonuses apply

This was a unique pick for @kirsten who earns 9 points.

2345384B00000578-2839307-image-31_141631

Abu Omar Al Shishani

Age 30

10 points

+3 points Unnatural Causes bonus.

I'll give the benefit on the doubt on this one, his death it is unconfirmed therefore I reserve the right to revoke points if it turns out he isn't. Wikipedia still has him down as living but "reported dead". Anyway, 13 points +3 unique pick for @scottyboy make a tidy 16 points.

Current leaderboard:

Player / Points / Number of picks / Average Age

1    .    Bigsby    -    34    /    2    /    67
2    .    kirsten    -    18    /    2    /    85
3    .    colb    -    17    /    2    /    74
4    .    Scottyboy    -    16    /    1    /    30
5    .    Jaseyboi    -    15    /    2    /    86
6    .    Jim McGymerson    -    9    /    1    /    89
7    .    Improved Thinker    -    5    /    1    /    94
8    .    Graham Knight    -    5    /    1    /    94
9    .    Scubby    -    0    /    0    /    0
10    .    MattJimF    -    0    /    0    /    0
11    .    Lucius    -    0    /    0    /    0
12    .    Kaiz    -    0    /    0    /    0
13    .    ca_gere    -    0    /    0    /    0
14    .    Stroopy121    -    0    /    0    /    0
15    .    Delboy1969    -    0    /    0    /    0
16    .    James Broonbreed    -    0    /    0    /    0
17    .    Lemonade    -    0    /    0    /    0

On 31/3/2016 at 2:27 AM, Lemonade said:

I'll give the benefit on the doubt on this one, his death it is unconfirmed therefore I reserve the right to revoke points if it turns out he isn't. Wikipedia still has him down as living but "reported dead". Anyway, 13 points +3 unique pick for @scottyboy make a tidy 16 points.

Fair dos. Wiki actually (as I type this...) has him dead (based on CNN and ultimately US officials), as it did when I made the above post; but I did see that when you posted, the death date was gone from Wiki (whilst still talking about him in the past tense, amusingly enough). This being Wiki, people are arguing about it and changing it in real time.

Daesh/IS are denying he's dead and have provided some photos which sceptics have stated/shown (I'm not interested/well-informed enough to know which) are years old (if he were alive, he's hardly going to call a press conference and invite CNN, I guess). The US military/intelligence/officials seem convinced they hit and at least vegetebalised him in that airstrike, and that (or because) he literally hasn't been heard from since (seems they intercepted and listened in on his comms as a matter of course) that airstrike, before which they got last minute info about his whereabouts.

With Jihadi John there was a few months of silence between the pretty-sure-we-got-him announcements and the obituary from Daesh, so dunno what to make of this. I've very much inclined to think he's dead for real, this time (and tbf apparently he's been falsely reported as dead a few times) contingent on what I said comms/intelligence being legit.

Otherwise, interesting point generally - I'd considered putting Mullah Omar (ex-head honcho of the Taliban) on my list for multiple years, but didn't because it seemed he was pretty much like a ghost in how secretive and (presumably, thus) how sheltered he was. And then last year the Taliban came out and said he was dead, the twist in the tale being that he'd died up to, what was it?,  2 years earlier. So what'd have happened if I picked him, say, last year?

Howard Marks aka Mr Nice, drug smuggler, author, etc. 

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/10/howard-marks-dies-aged-70?CMP=share_btn_tw

I'm sure everyone has read Mr Nice at least once when they were a weed-smoking student. A good read. I think I have a signed copy somewhere. Now seems like a good time to dig it out and eBay it.