aberdeen-music

Christmas Shopping Event - 27th Nov

Skubbs

What is roller derby? Just going around in a circle knocking fuck oot of folk?

Haha, pretty much.  There is skill involved and it's not like they show it in Whip It! or American Dad - you can't punch or closeline people. 

My understanding of it is that each team has five skaters - four defenders and one attacker called a "jammer" who is the only one who can score points. Everyone is skating round in the same direction and the jammer scores a point for every member of the opposite team she laps. The defenders obviously are there to stop the opposition jammer getting past them, but also to obstruct the oppositions defence and help their own jammer get through. Is that close?

Edited by Lemonade

Is that from Wikipedia? haha Yes, blockers and a pivot, with a jammer who scores the points.  The lead Jammer is the one who breaks through the pack first, and decides when the jam ends.  The pivot can stand in as Jammer if the original one is getting tired, or failing to break through the pack - she passes her star (helmet cover) to the pivot.

You can block someone from passing with sticking your arse out :) there are loads of games uploaded on youtube, including the Scotland team which has some of the Aberdeen lasses skating.

Is that from Wikipedia? haha Yes, blockers and a pivot, with a jammer who scores the points. The lead Jammer is the one who breaks through the pack first, and decides when the jam ends. The pivot can stand in as Jammer if the original one is getting tired, or failing to break through the pack - she passes her star (helmet cover) to the pivot.

You can block someone from passing with sticking your arse out :) there are loads of games uploaded on youtube, including the Scotland team which has some of the Aberdeen lasses skating.

It wasn't. I actually knew that! I've watched a couple of games (and that film with Ellen Page) and I follow the Aberdeen and Dublin teams on Facebook. You've totally lost me by going into it deeper though :laughing: