aberdeen-music

Sandi Thom is having a hell of a time

Her step mum (dad sandy's new wife) is also called sandy and worked full time in a shop on union street , not exactly a sign of having a loaded husband

You know a lot about this family Kybosh - OR SHOULD WE USE YOUR REAL NAME, SANDI???

Edited by colb
  • Upvote 3

Were none of you guys ever taught that if you can't say anything nice about someone, say f*** all? Have any of you ever been on worldwide tours, or played huge venues? No, I thought not. Sandi may not be to everyone's taste but at least she has had a career and had her 15 minutes in the spotlight. Sour grapes maybe? Have you been further than the Moorings in your chosen career? The lassie is pregnant and if any of you have experienced a wife or partner who is carrying your child, they CAN get a bit emotional and hormonal, gie the lass a break. 

I've never met Sandi but I do know her stepmum Sandra very well and a nicer, more down-to-earth woman you couldn't wish to meet. I don't know the history of her dad's accident, so can't comment on his financial state, but they do live in a nice house that hadn't cost a massive amount when they bought it. Over the years Sandra has given me various cds that Sandi has produced and her own spin on classics such as The House of The Rising Sun and Frankie Miller's Caledonia are pretty damn good and that's from someone who has played in bands since the early 60s and I'm nae easily impressed, believe me. Definitely nae impressed by the character assassination going on here, I can't believe the Aberdeen music scene has turned into such a nasty, back-stabbing bunch of ingrates.

• Downvote 5

Were none of you guys ever taught that if you can't say anything nice about someone, say f*** all? Have any of you ever been on worldwide tours, or played huge venues? No, I thought not. Sandi may not be to everyone's taste but at least she has had a career and had her 15 minutes in the spotlight. Sour grapes maybe? Have you been further than the Moorings in your chosen career? The lassie is pregnant and if any of you have experienced a wife or partner who is carrying your child, they CAN get a bit emotional and hormonal, gie the lass a break. 

I've never met Sandi but I do know her stepmum Sandra very well and a nicer, more down-to-earth woman you couldn't wish to meet. I don't know the history of her dad's accident, so can't comment on his financial state, but they do live in a nice house that hadn't cost a massive amount when they bought it. Over the years Sandra has given me various cds that Sandi has produced and her own spin on classics such as The House of The Rising Sun and Frankie Miller's Caledonia are pretty damn good and that's from someone who has played in bands since the early 60s and I'm nae easily impressed, believe me. Definitely nae impressed by the character assassination going on here, I can't believe the Aberdeen music scene has turned into such a nasty, back-stabbing bunch of ingrates.

Meh - my last EP has sold more copies this year than Sandi Thom's last album has*, and I didn't resort to playing covers....

*According to sales figures in the Guardian article about her Facebook tantrum.

• Upvote 2

Sorry to rain on your social justice parade but... You post an egotistical rant on social media, you're fair game for criticism. Are we all meant to just say 'oh poor sandi' and move on? That's not how the world works I'm afraid.

If, as you suggest, nobody said anything she wouldn't be trending on Twitter or booking interviews right now/last week. We also serve a nice 'hater' narrative.

If you think everyone who hasn't achieved what she has achieved shouldn't deserve an opinion then you're not only selling yourself short, you're misunderstanding the entire feedback loop that creates successful musicians.

What about the fact young kids might look up to her as a role model? Then she's cursing and throwing a tantrum when she doesn't get what she wants. We shouldn't promote that kind of behavior.

Oh, you know the mum?... Oh well, she should automatically not be a target for criticism. I take it all back.

At least on here the criticism is fairly civilized/rational (aside from the money thing, which really has no place) - I suggest you don't take a look at other, more seedy parts of the Internet.

• Upvote 6

Sorry to rain on your social justice parade but... You post an egotistical rant on social media, you're fair game for criticism. Are we all meant to just say 'oh poor sandi' and move on? That's not how the world works I'm afraid.

If, as you suggest, nobody said anything she wouldn't be trending on Twitter or booking interviews right now/last week. We also serve a nice 'hater' narrative.

If you think everyone who hasn't achieved what she has achieved shouldn't deserve an opinion then you're not only selling yourself short, you're misunderstanding the entire feedback loop that creates successful musicians.

What about the fact young kids might look up to her as a role model? Then she's cursing and throwing a tantrum when she doesn't get what she wants. We shouldn't promote that kind of behavior.

Oh, you know the mum?... Oh well, she should automatically not be a target for criticism. I take it all back.

At least on here the criticism is fairly civilized/rational (aside from the money thing, which really has no place) - I suggest you don't take a look at other, more seedy parts of the Internet.

You do a good line in sarcasm, way beyond what I could do. I thought you said she hadn't achieved anything? When I was a kid, I had people like The Stones and Keith Moon as role models and I wasn't traumatically affected by that. I wouldn't call some of the comments made civilised by any means. As for the seedier parts of the internet, you are obviously more acquainted with them than I am, so I'll leave that stuff to you. All I am saying is show a wee bit of respect for your peers.

You do a good line in sarcasm, way beyond what I could do. I thought you said she hadn't achieved anything? When I was a kid, I had people like The Stones and Keith Moon as role models and I wasn't traumatically affected by that. I wouldn't call some of the comments made civilised by any means. As for the seedier parts of the internet, you are obviously more acquainted with them than I am, so I'll leave that stuff to you. All I am saying is show a wee bit of respect for your peers.

When did I say she hasn't achieved anything? She's cemented her place firmly in the huge pile of singers who once reached fame with a hit but have since been unable to build upon that success in the consciousness of the mainstream. She wanted fame and she got it - congratulations to her. I wish her no ill will at all. In fact, I hope she does find fame again - that's clearly what makes her happy.

That, and my own lack of achievements, doesn't prevent me or anyone else reacting with disdain to what was a laughably pitiful video in which she threw her toys out the pram because her straight-down-the-line song-by-numbers wasn't good enough for broadcast radio.

Self-awareness is a fast-diminishing trait in this post-first-think-later world. Strong reactions, both positive and negative even that out a little.

• Upvote 3

chris-pratt-likes-gift-bags-on-jimmy-kim

How exactly is anyone stabbing her in the back? It's hardly as though she's out there championing the cause of small-venue, local level music scenes? Ingrates? What the fuck do we have to be grateful to her for?! DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT WORDS MEAN?!

xx

• Upvote 4

Sandy, Sandy and Sandi? Christ. 

This is what we really should be focussing on, everyone in the Thom family seems to be called Sandy. Imagine if they utilised that for entertainment purposes, rather than the MOR singer-songwriting? Endless possibilities, Saturday night entertainment, a chat show with all of them hosting, perhaps a sitcom... 

How exactly is anyone stabbing her in the back? It's hardly as though she's out there championing the cause of small-venue, local level music scenes? Ingrates? What the fuck do we have to be grateful to her for?! DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT WORDS MEAN?!

xx

We should all be grateful to her for reminding us that having a novelty hit that is barely better than 'Agadoo' after conning folk into thinking an 'underground' following was actually a carefully orchestated pack of lies doesn't necessarily lead to future happiness. We can all learn a lesson here.

Thanks Sandi.

• Upvote 3

xx

We should all be grateful to her for reminding us that having a novelty hit that is barely better than 'Agadoo' after conning folk into thinking an 'underground' following was actually a carefully orchestated pack of lies doesn't necessarily lead to future happiness. We can all learn a lesson here.

Thanks Sandi.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Sandy.

*If you're doing it twice, we might as well do it three times. Dinna want one of the Sandies to feel left out.

• Upvote 2

We should all be grateful to her for reminding us that having a novelty hit that is barely better than 'Agadoo' after conning folk into thinking an 'underground' following was actually a carefully orchestated pack of lies doesn't necessarily lead to future happiness. We can all learn a lesson here.Thanks Sandy.

*If you're doing it twice, we might as well do it three times. Dinna want one of the Sandies to feel left out.

Ha, no idea why it posted twice and it doesn't quite make the point the way intended. Hope Sandi doesn't come on here, she could mock my mistakes.

• Upvote 1

So, what you're saying is, we should leave Sandi alone?

SANDI1_zps0atijzko.gif

SANDI2_zpsn88f5gey.gif

SANDI3_zpsfvnkcugi.gif

SANDI4_zpshohp2syb.gif

SANDI5_zpsrq5knptm.gif

Edited by Soda van Jerk
  • Upvote 10