aberdeen-music

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH

I'll probably watch it but I'm not a huge fan. I was probably the only kid born in 1980 who wasn't into Star Wars. I didn't watch the original films until I was an adult so I don't have the nostalgia element. Like they're good films and all but I didn't grow up having pretend light saber battles. I had all the toys though weirdly but I didn't know who most of them were.

My facebook is currently full of: The originals were the best, HAN SHOOTS FIRST, Jar Jar is a cunt, Lucas ruined everything with remakes prequels, why can't I get a girlfriend that loves Star Wars, machete order, HAN SHOOTS FIRST!!!!

I think it'll be ok probably - George Lucas is kinda bad at making good Star Wars films (3.5 good films out of 6 isn't the best batting average) and can't help tinkering with them until they're unrecognisable from the originals - so i'm not getting too excited.

• Upvote 1

My facebook is currently full of: The originals were the best, HAN SHOOTS FIRST, Jar Jar is a cunt, Lucas ruined everything with remakes prequels, why can't I get a girlfriend that loves Star Wars, machete order, HAN SHOOTS FIRST!!!!

I think it'll be ok probably - George Lucas is kinda bad at making good Star Wars films (3.5 good films out of 6 isn't the best batting average) and can't help tinkering with them until they're unrecognisable from the originals - so i'm not getting too excited.

That's the thing I don't think he had a lot of input into this one!

That's the thing I don't think he had a lot of input into this one!

I think JJ Abrams will still be hamstrung by the style that Lucas created and will struggle to make a good movie that stays faithful to the originals/prequels. Much like his Star Trek films he'll still have to serve the rules put in place by the series creators.

Dunno really, I loved most of the original trilogy, one of the first films I ever saw in the cinema was the original Star Wars. I've cordially hated the changes made to the original 3 movies and almost everything about the prequels. I'd dearly love it to be a return to greatness, but since the original films have been changed and softened so much I just can't see it happening. 

I think JJ Abrams will still be hamstrung by the style that Lucas created and will struggle to make a good movie that stays faithful to the originals/prequels. Much like his Star Trek films he'll still have to serve the rules put in place by the series creators.

Dunno really, I loved most of the original trilogy, one of the first films I ever saw in the cinema was the original Star Wars. I've cordially hated the changes made to the original 3 movies and almost everything about the prequels. I'd dearly love it to be a return to greatness, but since the original films have been changed and softened so much I just can't see it happening. 

The originals came out in '77, '70 and '83, so the most recent one is over 30 years old. I'm not sure it's feasible to create a sequel to that which really has a continuity in anything other than the characters.

My problem (one of millions) with the prequels is that they're trying to go back in time while using all-new sparkly technology, which made them feel really fucking weird. I think (HOPE) that the new ones will be able to strike a better balance. Since Han et al are in this movie, then it's set (presumably) the same 30-odd years after the originals. Going by bits of dialogue in the trailers, in the new ones the Jedi/Sith are now completely off the radar and most people don't even believe they really existed. What this points towards (again, I hope) is that the new movies will be able to have a bit more freedom, a lot more licence to create it's own canon and generally have a bit more artistic freedom. I HOPE.

Also, I think that JJ Abrams is enough of a heavyweight in the industry, along with the fact that Lucas knows how badly the prequels were received, that he'll be able to give Lucas a wee slap and a reality check if he tries to Jar Jar these movies.

And finally, since Disney own the franchise I don't doubt that they'll also be in there ready to kneecap Lucas if he starts fucking everything up. I feel like a total pisshole for thinking that Disney will save Star Wars from it's creator.. but the recent track record from Disney has been pretty amazing.

xx

The originals came out in '77, '70 and '83, so the most recent one is over 30 years old. I'm not sure it's feasible to create a sequel to that which really has a continuity in anything other than the characters.

My problem (one of millions) with the prequels is that they're trying to go back in time while using all-new sparkly technology, which made them feel really fucking weird. I think (HOPE) that the new ones will be able to strike a better balance. Since Han et al are in this movie, then it's set (presumably) the same 30-odd years after the originals. Going by bits of dialogue in the trailers, in the new ones the Jedi/Sith are now completely off the radar and most people don't even believe they really existed. What this points towards (again, I hope) is that the new movies will be able to have a bit more freedom, a lot more licence to create it's own canon and generally have a bit more artistic freedom. I HOPE.

Also, I think that JJ Abrams is enough of a heavyweight in the industry, along with the fact that Lucas knows how badly the prequels were received, that he'll be able to give Lucas a wee slap and a reality check if he tries to Jar Jar these movies.

And finally, since Disney own the franchise I don't doubt that they'll also be in there ready to kneecap Lucas if he starts fucking everything up. I feel like a total pisshole for thinking that Disney will save Star Wars from it's creator.. but the recent track record from Disney has been pretty amazing.

xx

I hope so dude, but given the level of cuntery Lucas descended to in the last "definitive" edit I can't say i'm too positive - no Ewoks or Gungans in the new movie would be a start.

Couple of decent articles about the changes, and the likelihood of getting the original versions re-released here:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/05/could-disney-finally-give-us-the-remastered-unedited-star-wars-we-want/

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/star-wars/17281/the-10-worst-crimes-against-the-original-star-wars-trilogy

• 2 months later...