aberdeen-music

New Blues Jam.

Trikelops

It was great to have you out there Frosty! We'll get some more drumming out of you next time! I'll blend in to the back and play a few chords for once!!!

It was a really good jam last month, some really fancy playing on some classic songs! You just now there will be some real rocking when Mr. Wah-Wah hits the stage! Always great to see.

Everyone should come along and sit in for a bit, we could have the next super group somewhere in the mix! ha ha!

See you in January!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great variety of material, yesterday- and a welcome influx of new (and new-old) faces.  Thanks to everyone who attended- and especially, to all the performers.  :):cool:

Next one coincides with the return of Daylight Saving Time- March 25th.  It'll have to be good, to compare with this one.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Banish the frozen, pre-Spring blues......come and listen to/play something from swampy Mississippi, arid Texas or balmy California.  Of course, if your tastes run more to Hooker, Muddy or Wolf, frigid Detroit or Chicago grooves will be gratefully accepted.

After another day of woolly bonnets and two pairs of socks.....I'd rather be in a bar in New Orleans, listening to Tab Benoit's band- but that's just me.  :cool:

March 25th at 3pm.  It'll be warm, by then.  Maybe.

Edited by Flaneur

• 2 weeks later...

The long summer days beckon.  Not this weekend, obviously......:(

Sunday, at 3pm.  I'm thinking Blind Willie Johnson, Magic Sam, Johnny 'Guitar' Watson, ....... 

Sing us a song, have a few pints.  Your garden's too cold to do anything in, except load music gear into the car.

A busy and tuneful afternoon.  A couple of our acoustic regulars were unable to make it- but this was offset by a healthier than usual contingent from the Granite City and points south.  Thanks for making the extra effort, Ladies and Gents.

We've had some of the North-East's finest bass players in attendance, recently....from the young to the ....errr... road worn.  From Towering to Tiny, six strings, down to a humble four.   (I will organise a Bass-Off, one of these days.)  They're so good, they could share out the lead breaks and riffs, between them.

Those who left early missed one of the day's highlights, namely the DRUM SOLO!  Superb stuff, from that incognito AbMus stalwart.  :cool:

Keep supporting the Jam and we'll keep putting it on.  Next one is on May 27th, starting at 3pm.

• 1 month later...

I see Paul Jones has finally passed the baton of his Radio 2 Blues show to someone (much) younger....namely Cerys Matthews, best known for her Radio 6 Music sunday morning work- and previously, her singing, with Catatonia.

Monday nights, starting at 8pm.  A radical shift....probably a couple of decades later than it might have been.;)

The Smiddy Jam will be next Sunday afternoon.  Frosty will be bringing his drum kit.  Trikelops will sing something by Howling Wolf and /or Sonny Boy Williamson 2.  Guaranteed.  The safest bet you'll find, this side of England exiting the World Cup, after the group stage...... 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Support your neighbourhood Bar- or, in this case, my neighbourhood Bar.  You know, half of 'em are on the verge of going bust, don't you?

…..and then where will we get to play?   ;)

Smiddy, Daviot, 3pm.  January 27th.   It's always good- especially compared to backing tracks, YouTube, and books of Tab, which don't quite make sense.

Edited by Flaneur

• 1 month later...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/03/11/buddy-guy-is-keeping-the-blues-alive

I like the article....but not that old trope about 'keeping the blues alive'.   Although Buddy is perhaps the last active member of the Chess records generation of guitar players, he will be remembered as the inspiration for much of what we now call 'Blues-Rock', with fretboard pyrotechnics and stagecraft which inspired Hendrix, most notably.

'Helping the Blues to mutate and survive' might be a better title?   Without doubt, the most successful modern players of Blues-related music tend to follow the format refined from Buddy's formula.

On March 31st, at the usual time and venue, you can play your part, too.  If you prefer to eschew playing guitar with your teeth....or don't play guitar at all....your attendance and contribution will be equally welcome.