aberdeen-music

New Blues Jam.

Trikelops

Two weeks to go!  Time to finish the neck re-set on your '59 ES330, or do the caps on the blackface Deluxe Reverb- the one, without which, your tone is forever in disguise.  ;)

Alternatively, you could just plug your Squier Strat into one of my selection of non-vintage, but loud combos....and give the regulars a few songs.  Extra points for obscurity and singing in tune.  Deductions, if your pedal board is bigger than a tweed guitar case!

13th at 3pm.  Daviot has only one bar- you can't miss it!    Be there- or be rectangular.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Next Jam is on March 26th, starting at 3. 

On February 4th, 1932, Tampa Red recorded 'You can't get that stuff no more'.  Wonderful song though that is, I have to tell you that - 85 years later- you still can get that stuff......and you will, if you come to the jam.  :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.kffa.com/2015/11/11/king-biscuit-time-show-audio/

The first lunchtime radio show for field workers in the American south, was broadcast on November 21st, 1941.  Sonny Boy Williamson 2 and Robert Lockwood Junior were the hosts.  Now it's the longest-running daily radio show in US history..........

Yesterday's show started with a Sonny Boy tune- 'Fattening frogs for snakes'- which is a favourite of Ab-Mus correspondent Trikelops.  At the last count, he had performed this song in public on 3,481 occasions.

It would be nice if the Smiddy Blues Jam became a 76 year fixture in the local music scene.  The next edition begins at 3pm on May 28th.  Come along and have some fun.  You'll be able to tell your grandkids you were in at the start.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well yesterday was a blinder, best jam so far in my humble opinion. Some of the regulars were no-shows but despite that there was a lot of terrific music played and not a single ego was to be witnessed. Two other really good bass players turned up too, so at least I got a break this time. Looking forward to the next one already.

Edited by Trikelops

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Things I have learned from organising a musical event, volume 4........

1.  Good things are worth waiting for.  You can stop looking at your watch, now......

2.  All those buttons, sliders and knobs on a mixing desk have functions, apparently.

3.  Many of life's questions can be answered with a loud amp and a wah-wah pedal.

4.  When you sing in a different key to the usual ones, strange and unpleasant things can happen.

Strange and wondrous sighting at the last Smiddy bi-monthly doofer......

AbMus favourite, Country stalwart and unrecognised offspring of Mary Ford and Chet Atkins- Bigsby, was spotted in a spanky rendition of some North Texas blues.  The well-known Shadovian (new word) wiggle stick enthusiast would clearly be welcome in any roadhouse between Fort Worth and El Paso, on this showing.  Is this the way to Amarillo?  Err, no, actually.  You needed to throw a right at Abilene and take Highway 83.......

• 3 weeks later...

Next Smiddy jam is on September the 24th

You may have heard the rumour that Buddy Guy will be making a brief guest appearance.  George and I have  had a good chuckle about that (I call him George).

There are just no secrets in the modern world.  Although I don't know whether or not you are coming along, to get a selfie with George......

• 1 month later...