aberdeen-music

New Blues Jam.

Trikelops

The first all blues jam is to take place in the Smiddy bar in Daviot on Sunday the 18th of October. We are hoping this will take off and become a regular thing, so bluesers, come along and support it please. There will be a PA and backline there, all that is required apart from that is your body and instrument to make it a great day out.

• 1 month later...

I'm not too sure what it will be Marc, this is the first one so it will probably be a bit of a free-for-all. I do know the organiser is hoping it will be about blues and not just guitar solos of twenty minutes each, haha. It could turn out an interesting afternoon and I'm looking forward to it as well. He does some Chicago type stuff and I'm into that and country blues too. Just get there and have a good time, that's what it's about mate. I think if you can play12 bars, you won't go far wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Finally...and after some unavoidable delays.... the return of the Daviot Blues jam is nigh!

July 17th, 3 'till 7.  Smiddy Bar, Daviot, near Inverurie.

Whether your primary influence is Charley Patton or Cody Dickinson, Eric Clapton or Eric Morecambe- if you bring an instrument, you will get a spot.

• Upvote 1

There will be a full backline- but you're welcome to bring your own amp or snare, if you feel more comfortable with that.  Acoustic players are very welcome, seated or standing.  I've been involved with Irish-style sessions in the past, which have worked very well for Blues- in the Smiddy and at other places.  This time, we're again going for the open mic/drumkit option, with the objective of encouraging as many players as possible to come out.

It's going to be friendly and inclusive.  It will not be one song, repeated all afternoon.  The object is to entertain the audience, whilst meeting and hopefully playing with some new musicians.  If you want to do your Jack White or Black Keys thing- great!  If you have Bukka White chops or can hold a crowd like Son House, we really want to see it.  Personally, I love to see younger players reinterpreting the pre-war stuff and older guys getting to grips with modern material........  Yes, you can come and play a few tunes with your friends- but if you miss the opportunity to stretch yourself with new material and playing with different people, you're only getting half of what's on offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever imagined a jam where the experienced players helped and encouraged the newcomers?  It was like that.....:)

The good turnout of players and an excellent, receptive audience was a potent mix.  This is going to be a regular event- to begin with, bi-monthly, with the next date fixed for September 11th, at 3pm.

Thanks to everyone who performed, helped, encouraged, supported, laughed, heckled....and didn't walk out, when my amp started feeding back!   There was a great range of music played, from the pre-war traditional, through Country and Chicago, to the slightly beserk......

If you couldn't make it yesterday, or were a little apprehensive.... drop me a pm, with any questions, or just turn up and join in!   More fun than watching Golf on the Telly........

• Upvote 1

It was certainly a good turn out for the first one Flaneur and your amp wasn't that bad really, haha. Certainly a good mix of players and music alike and some very tasty stuff played as well. The young lady with the leather tonsils has a terrific voice, and it was just so good to catch up with yourself and Bob again and having the pleasure of jamming with Sandy too. Look forward to the next one.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The September jam was a varied affair.  Blues from the Delta and Chicago of course, plus Memphis and West Coast stuff.  Aberdeen's favourite Alt-Country combo showed up en-masse and gave us a few err..... Nashville Blues tunes.  :cool:

A number of excellent acoustic players got up and played some fine pre-war and ....yesterday afternoon songs.  A bit of everything....which we want!

Next one is on November 13th, at 3pm.  Come along.  Live a little.  Bring your Les Paul/Spoons/Fife and drum/ Howlin' Wolf vocal chords.  Release your inner Bessie Smith!    There are twelve forms of blues shuffle licks that every drummer in Chicago knows, the most famous of which is probably the Flat Tire (sic) shuffle.  If you can play six of them, I'll buy you a pint!  :)