aberdeen-music

Homebrew

Old Gold

Tried it a few times, using the ready made wort in a tin and don't think I got a single batch which was worth the wait.  Even tried pimping it out with better quality ingredients and dry hopping but still tasted like yeasty vomit.

If you have the patience to persist, or if you can do the whole process including making your own wort from scratch, then you might have better results.  I decided I had enough hobbies to waste time on and nothing I made was going to be as good or varied as the beer I can buy from the shop.

The best use I got out my homebrew was for killing slugs.

Anyone do it on here? Moving into a bigger flat this month and I'm keen to get some quality gutrot on the go without breaking the bank. Any kits anyone would recommend? Anyone want to share their past glories/shameful failures?

I was going to get into it, I got a book and everything, before having a baby forced me to put it on hold for a while buuuuut I'm also moving to a bigger place later in the year so I'll probably give it a go once I'm settled in there.

Dabbled in it a couple of times, results were ok, nothing special.  Because I only used kits/premixed wort I am left with the sneaky suspicion that there's not that much bragging rights in following instructions.  Time and effort for passable results versus could have got something probably tastier from the shop.  Haven't done one this year yet, and didn't even finish drinking the last one I made.  I think that means I've informally quit.

Dabbled in it a couple of times, results were ok, nothing special.  Because I only used kits/premixed wort I am left with the sneaky suspicion that there's not that much bragging rights in following instructions.  Time and effort for passable results versus could have got something probably tastier from the shop.  Haven't done one this year yet, and didn't even finish drinking the last one I made.  I think that means I've informally quit.

Tried it a few times, using the ready made wort in a tin and don't think I got a single batch which was worth the wait.  Even tried pimping it out with better quality ingredients and dry hopping but still tasted like yeasty vomit.

If you have the patience to persist, or if you can do the whole process including making your own wort from scratch, then you might have better results.  I decided I had enough hobbies to waste time on and nothing I made was going to be as good or varied as the beer I can buy from the shop.

The best use I got out my homebrew was for killing slugs.

What kinda brews did you guys go for?  I wonder if something strongly flavoured like a porter would be more forgiving to get my eye in without winding up with 40 pints of swill and heartbreak.

What kinda brews did you guys go for?  I wonder if something strongly flavoured like a porter would be more forgiving to get my eye in without winding up with 40 pints of swill and heartbreak.

I did a red ale first then tried a few pale ales. They were grim.

Both times they were pale ales, one was supposed to be an IPA for sure.  Like I said, it was OK, but I just left wondering what all the waiting/effort/sterilising/stirring/syphoning on the stairs was for.