Jump to content
aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Lemonade

2015/16 Soccer Thread.

Recommended Posts

PREDICTIONS:

Mourinho will be given cash to spend, and probably buy reasonably well for his style. He will win the Premier League and a domestic cup, semis of the Champs' League when they get back there.

The 14 academy graduates that were given a look in this year will nearly all go out on loan, with the exception of perhaps Tim Fosu-Mensah who is a beast that Mourinho will try to turn into a central midfield destroyer, giving him limited game time.

Depay will be turned into an archetypal tricky-creative-turned-industrious-but-effective-winger in the classic Jose way.

Mata's spirit will be ground down until he requests a move for his own sanity.

Jose will last a maximum of four years, leaving the club/dressing room completely fucked, and having sold/released many of the 14 graduates mentioned above.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Murrr said:

How are the Man United fans going to take to him? Heard a lot of grumblings about LVG's boring football over the past couple of seasons, and Mourinho's pragmatism isn't exactly edge-of-your-seat stuff most of the time. I reckon a lot of those complaints had more to do with league positions and results, however, and that if LVG had Man United finishing closer to the top, we wouldn't have heard any of it. Mourinho does a great job of building that "them vs. us" mentality within a club and rallying the supporters around him almost like a cult leader, at least for a few seasons. Whaddaya reckon, Soda?

Fans are already divided on him, but it doesn't seem as bad of a division as it was when it was Moyes. Back then, it was bemusement as to how Moyes could have possibly gotten the job, and those people were in the majority over those who were glad it was Moyes. This time it seems a split down the middle of Pro-Jose and Fuck-Jose, but the support was practically unanimous in wanting LvG gone.

There was a bit more to it than just boring football. It really was boring, but it was also the perennially undroppable Rooney, Captain Rooney no less, playing him in midfield over actual midfielders and not hauling him off when he'd played rotten for an hour. Slotting him straight back into the term when returning from injury, usually at the expense of Herrera who has always played well. It was also the standard two-full-back-substitutions almost every game. There was hardly a game that went by where Rojo and Darmian didn't get subbed off, at the expense of attacking, game-changing substitutions. Failing to progress from an easy Champions League group and losing to Boro at home on penalties was a major black mark as well, which led to a disastrous December, losing to Norwich, Bournemouth and Stoke on the bounce. The glimmer of hope for the season was that Man City were equally shite, and their ropey performances kept throwing United a lifeline to crawl back in to the top 4, and every time United pissed it up the wall until it was too late. Winning a cup was a plus, but it wasn't enough to make up for the rest of the season.

Still, there were more positives than under Moyes. The FA Cup. Martial and Rashford, De Gea signing a 5 year deal, Chris Smalling's enormous step up from injury prone utility player to the player who will probably succeed Rooney as captain. I proper love Daley Blind as well. Overall United looks a bit more organised defensively (except from set pieces, which are still LOLbad). There's definitely not the sheer elation that LvG has been sacked like there was with Moyes as many recognise the good he's done, but change was necessary.

But it's Mourinho. It could go well, or he could implode, but either way, it's difficult to like him. You're right with the siege mentality. That's the closest parallel to Fergie, who also did the same. I think Mourinho's style of football is blown out of proportion somewhat though. He usually sets out to blow the lesser teams away, whilst keeping it tight and rigid in the big games. Again, very Fergie-like. Those tight, rigid big games seem to have erased people's memories as to how good his teams can and have played in the past.

A lot of United fans can't stand him, but are accepting him on the basis of: Who else could it be? Guardiola and Ancelotti were both snapped up quickly. Simeone is probably a lifer at Atletico, Poch was never leaving Spurs. With Conte coming him and Klopp starting his first full season, next season the league is going to be stronger than it's ever been in terms of managers, so it was definitely not the time to experiment with Giggs.

I predict 4 full seasons, 1 league title, fiery explosive exit.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's going to work. Too many differences between Mourinho's style and the "Man United way" and I don't think the board will give him the sort of money he wants after LvG spent quarter of a billion pounds and finished 5th. I hope it does, although he was in full cunt mode in his second spell at Chelsea I still sort of like him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no such thing as the "United Way" anymore. Many forget how awful United's football was for the last 3 or 4 years under Fergie. The last great United team was the 06-09 team, the final season of that was based on defensive solidity and getting the ball to Ronaldo. It was that season they won about 8 games on the bounce 1-0, and had Tevez and Park just pressing and playing as ball winning forwards rather than goalscorers. Fergie gladly sacrificed entertainment for winning. Perhaps he got it from Mourinho, after Mourinho continued to get the better of him everytime they met. There's not been a "United Way" since. Moyes definitely wasn't the man to bring it back. Nor was Van Gaal. Mourinho's style is irrelevant now IMO. Winning is the priority. If Van Gaal's possesion-hogging sleepwalk football was successful and they won every game 1-0, he'd be a hero. There'd be no talk of style, or lack of. If Mourinho wins, he will be the man.

I don't think there's any doubt Mourinho will get all the resources he needs either. United boasting record breaking revenues and the Premier League TV money coming in to the effect this season, I think they'll spend more than ever. United generate ungodly amounts of cash, but so much of it is reportedly contractually reliant on Champions League qualification. The enormous Adidas deal cuts in half if they fail to qualify for the Champions League two seasons in a row. The Chevy deal takes a hit too, as will many others. No chance the moneymen at United will tell Jose to "make do". The club will be hell bent on making top 4 as an absolute minimum.

Still, don't like him. And he's going to bring that mother-of-all-gobshites Rui Faria with him. Urgh. Has there ever been a game where Rui Faria hasn't tried to square up to someone? Barking threats at 4th officials whilst everyone holds him back. He's like that kid at school who had a rock-hard older brother who does karate, so he swaggers about the playground thinking he's the hardest kid in the world, knowing his brother would roundhouse the shite out of anyone who picks on him. Fuck Rui Faria.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

There's no such thing as the "United Way" anymore. Many forget how awful United's football was for the last 3 or 4 years under Fergie. The last great United team was the 06-09 team, the final season of that was based on defensive solidity and getting the ball to Ronaldo. It was that season they won about 8 games on the bounce 1-0, and had Tevez and Park just pressing and playing as ball winning forwards rather than goalscorers. Fergie gladly sacrificed entertainment for winning. Perhaps he got it from Mourinho, after Mourinho continued to get the better of him everytime they met. There's not been a "United Way" since. Moyes definitely wasn't the man to bring it back. Nor was Van Gaal. Mourinho's style is irrelevant now IMO. Winning is the priority. If Van Gaal's possesion-hogging sleepwalk football was successful and they won every game 1-0, he'd be a hero. There'd be no talk of style, or lack of. If Mourinho wins, he will be the man.

I don't think there's any doubt Mourinho will get all the resources he needs either. United boasting record breaking revenues and the Premier League TV money coming in to the effect this season, I think they'll spend more than ever. United generate ungodly amounts of cash, but so much of it is reportedly contractually reliant on Champions League qualification. The enormous Adidas deal cuts in half if they fail to qualify for the Champions League two seasons in a row. The Chevy deal takes a hit too, as will many others. No chance the moneymen at United will tell Jose to "make do". The club will be hell bent on making top 4 as an absolute minimum.

Still, don't like him. And he's going to bring that mother-of-all-gobshites Rui Faria with him. Urgh. Has there ever been a game where Rui Faria hasn't tried to square up to someone? Barking threats at 4th officials whilst everyone holds him back. He's like that kid at school who had a rock-hard older brother who does karate, so he swaggers about the playground thinking he's the hardest kid in the world, knowing his brother would roundhouse the shite out of anyone who picks on him. Fuck Rui Faria.

I think I come on Ab-Mus now purely for the entertainment of your football posts.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't used to like Benitez one bit, but that's made me quite like him. Respect for staying and digging in to fix the mess. They're going to smash the Championship.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished watching the BBC documentary they had Alan Shearer do on the England team in Euro 96. Fantastic bit of tv. Terry Venables comes off so good in it as well. Comes across as very genuine, and of course it's great to hear Barry Davies' voice again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now then, how about them Russians belting the shite out of everyone in France? Mostly the English, and the English are going to get murdered if they keep going at them as well. These Russian boys look pretty handy. It looks like Eastern Europe as a professional competitive sporting event which pretty much trains groups of men to fight lots of other men:

 

It's bonkers. It's basically professional hooliganism, with the football removed, but the Russian teams especially appear to be linked with particular club firms. The ones above are associated with a CSKA Moscow firm and appear to be involved in the carnage in France right now. If you've ever seen any of the tv shows about football firms in the UK, you'll know it's mostly beer-bellied lager louts who want to find a bit of a push and a shove, throw a couple of speculative swings and then leg it, to get a buzz. Unlike the Russians who seem to actually want to kill people.

The 2018 World Cup is just going to be a warzone. Who in their right mind would even consider going as a travelling supporter?

 

It's just a game. lads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 1:48 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Who in their right mind would even consider going as a travelling supporter?

That's exactly what I've been thinking watching this. As if their rampant bands of invaders aren't enough trouble, let's got round to their house and have a nawty mashup there. I hope someone has Kep, Dyer and some film crews at the ready!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/06/2016 at 1:48 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Now then, how about them Russians belting the shite out of everyone in France? Mostly the English, and the English are going to get murdered if they keep going at them as well. These Russian boys look pretty handy. It looks like Eastern Europe as a professional competitive sporting event which pretty much trains groups of men to fight lots of other men:

 

It's bonkers. It's basically professional hooliganism, with the football removed, but the Russian teams especially appear to be linked with particular club firms. The ones above are associated with a CSKA Moscow firm and appear to be involved in the carnage in France right now. If you've ever seen any of the tv shows about football firms in the UK, you'll know it's mostly beer-bellied lager louts who want to find a bit of a push and a shove, throw a couple of speculative swings and then leg it, to get a buzz. Unlike the Russians who seem to actually want to kill people.

The 2018 World Cup is just going to be a warzone. Who in their right mind would even consider going as a travelling supporter?

 

It's just a game. lads.

There's been some absolutely lunatic quotes coming from the Russian FA on it as well. One guy said something like what's the problem? 9 out of 10 people go to the football to have a fight and that's just normal, and another said the French police aren't up to looking after football crowds because they're more used to policing gay price marches. What. The. Fuck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lemonade said:

There's been some absolutely lunatic quotes coming from the Russian FA on it as well. One guy said something like what's the problem? 9 out of 10 people go to the football to have a fight and that's just normal, and another said the French police aren't up to looking after football crowds because they're more used to policing gay price marches. What. The. Fuck. 

True. The English FA have responded accordingly IMO, condemning the hooligans and urging fans to behave. On the flipside, it's almost like Putin is egging his fighters on, throwing air punches as he watches the go-pro videos uploaded to Youtube. "Go on Sergei. Chin the cunt!"

1196127.gif?b64lines=CktJTEwgSElNISBLSUx

 

Edited by Soda van Jerk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lemonade said:

There's been some absolutely lunatic quotes coming from the Russian FA on it as well. One guy said something like what's the problem? 9 out of 10 people go to the football to have a fight and that's just normal, and another said the French police aren't up to looking after football crowds because they're more used to policing gay price marches. What. The. Fuck. 

Gay pride. I don't know what a gay price march is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lemonade said:

There's been some absolutely lunatic quotes coming from the Russian FA on it as well. One guy said something like what's the problem? 9 out of 10 people go to the football to have a fight and that's just normal, and another said the French police aren't up to looking after football crowds because they're more used to policing gay price marches. What. The. Fuck. 

In fairness, the head of Russian FA said they deserved to get fined. Just the Russian Government that have responded poorly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty brutal scenes from the Croatia/Czech match. Looks like a steward got his hand blown at pretty bad by some small explosive/firework on the pitch, pictures of him post-explosion appear to show him with a maimed hand and face. His hand especially looked limp and dislocated. Looks like he assumed it was a flare, he went to pick it up and it exploded as he did. Nasty.

Has this just been the worst international tournament to date, in terms of security (or lack of) and fighting? How are fireworks, flares and explosives even getting in to the stadiums? With the terror attack on France not so long ago, we were told that security was going to be heightened. In the Eng/Rus game, the segregation between the fans was a column of empty seats and some blue mesh sheet. Not stewards. As the fans collided, stewards and ground level just watched it happen. You had fans trying to escape down the players tunnel.

 

It's been fucking terrible. The football has been pretty naff as well, but it's all felt like a sideshow to the fighting and total lunacy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah you would have thought or hoped that with all the shit kicking off the fans would come together but no. I love football and would love to experience an international tournament but I also am not very good at fighting or hurting people and would want to get pissed and have a laugh with the other fans and watch the game not run for my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do any teams actually get punted out of this tournament or does everyone get through regardless of results?

Shit new format. Top 2 through, bottom 2 go home is how it should be. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's crap. Just make it 32 teams. 10 groups of 5 or 6 in the qualifiers. Top 3 go through, plus hosts and holders. Then you can have the normal 8 groups of 4 instead of 6, which is a stupid number. Top 2 go through. 

We'd still find a way to not qualify for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Gypsum_Fantastic said:

Northern Poland have. Republic of Poland need to beat Italy.

 

4 hours ago, HeinzHines said:

I'm pretty sure Poland qualified. 

This is getting silly. Geniunley thought you were referring to ROI there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...