aberdeen-music

2015/16 Soccer Thread.

Lemonade

Liverpool were actually quite strong defensively in the middle part of last season, when they had the centre three of Can, Sakho and Skrtel.  It's when they tried to change that formation that they started to ship goals.  I suspect Can might end up playing quite a bit in central defense next season, even though it's not his best position.  Wisdom and Ilori might also play, but it's hard to judge how they would do.  I agree that they should buy a really high quality central defender, but it's harder to say who that would be.

There's a real shortage of top centre backs right now who are readily available. Mats Hummels seems incredibly highly rated, but even he is not really all that great. Prone to numerous brain farts, and he is horrifically slow. A lot of big clubs will be looking for centre backs right now, so it will be difficult for Liverpool to fight off competition for a top defenders if City, Madrid, United etc are in the market for the same targets.

I think Sakho and Lovren are fine, but Skrtel is nothing but a grappler. I agree with Adam and they should just ditch the back 3 formations. Play a back four, as what most defenders are used to. I think Lovren will do a lot better in a back four. Emre Can is a terrible defender, but he's handy in midfield. Seems pointless to keep playing him in a position he is pretty lousy at.

Not sure about Firmino. United were linked with him a fortnight ago, and I was hoping it was paper nonsense, especially with a price involved.

Liverpool sure do have a lot of strikers now. Sturridge, Balotelli, Origi, Ings, Lambert, Borini. I'd have thought Firmino has been brought in to play as a striker as well, as I don't think he's quick enough to play out wide in the Premier League, unless he played a Mata/Silva sort of role, but he's not that kind of player either. It will be interesting to see how Liverpool play him. He's a better goalscorer than anyone they have currently, apart from Sturridge, but Firmino looks better than Sturridge at not being injured at least.

Going back to centre backs, it seems that Sergio Ramos wants to leave Madrid. United should go all out for him. He's a total bastard. United don't have enough bastards. Too many nice guys like Mata, Blind and Herrera. Not nearly enough Rojos and Fellainis.

They have a really awful collection of strikers for a side of their aspirations. Origi was voted into Ligue 1's "Worst XI" this season, Balotelli is dung, Lambert's a midtable player at best, Studge might still be crocked, Borini is Borini... I quite like Dings, though. Good player.

Best thing about the off-season is the slew of 'Welcome to [Club]' youtube highlight videos

That video seems to have run through a few different 'Welcome to...'s since it was posted in February.  Players always look good in those, understandably.  Someone needs to do a video of players shooting wide or misplacing passes or maybe an 'X being totally anonymous and having no effect on the game, Season 14-15'.  That would be a bit more balanced at least.

Edited by Mr Owl PhD

That's pretty nice. I've been a fan of the all black ones though, since living design days really.

I'm a big fan of black and gold. I hate when teams just make their away shirt all white. Like at least show a bit of imgination. I hate that Celtic's away shirt this season is green and white. Kind of defeats the purpose. CHANGING THE DIRECTION OF THE STRIPES DOESN'T MAKE IT AN AWAY KIT.

4068056377.jpg

I'm a big fan of black and gold. I hate when teams just make their away shirt all white. Like at least show a bit of imgination. I hate that Celtic's away shirt this season is green and white. Kind of defeats the purpose. CHANGING THE DIRECTION OF THE STRIPES DOESN'T MAKE IT AN AWAY KIT.

4068056377.jpg

Jesus. Literally nothing about that shirt is good. Not a single thing. Get in the bin.

Football shirts are wank.

New Balance, Warrior and Under Armour make the absolute worst football kits. Macron and Kappa not too far behind. Puma used to be great, but now their shirts look as snug a fit as WWE lycra.

The new Bayern Munich shirt is slick:

bayern-munich-1516.jpg?itok=AozW29aJ

Not sure what that skirt at the bottom is all about, but the dark red stripes are neat. I like that Bayern home shirts are totally different every year, and seem to rotate between all red, red with blue, and red with white. For most clubs, you're just paying for the same shirt with a slightly different collar, or a new ugly sponsor logo emblazoned on the front.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

Do you think he will be a better captain than Reynolds?

Yes. I think Reynolds' form suffered a bit as captain, by all accounts I hear that he doesn't actually like the responsibility.

Will also encourage Jack in the best way to step up and dominate the centre of midfield and control games IMO. And he can legitimately tell Flood to calm the fuck down without fear of a headbutt.