aberdeen-music

2015/16 Soccer Thread.

Lemonade

It was a clever retirement. Announce it after doing another line of work for the best part of 2 years. That's how to retire. Retire, but don't tell anyone for ages. Or do what Gary Neville did, and come at half time against West Brom and just decide "Nah, I'm shite" and don't come back.

He's an underrated pundit though, is Jermaine. Better than the drunkards on Soccer Saturday and the angry scousers on Sky and BT. Seriously, Steve McManaman just has to be the worst footballer-talking-about-football on the telly. Actually, no. Macca is #2. Paul Merson is the undisputed worst. Paul Scholes in at #3.

Ah I forgot Robbie Savage. He's probably in a league of his own.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

He's an underrated pundit though, is Jermaine. Better than the drunkards on Soccer Saturday and the angry scousers on Sky and BT. Seriously, Steve McManaman just has to be the worst footballer-talking-about-football on the telly. Actually, no. Macca is #2. Paul Merson is the undisputed worst. Paul Scholes in at #3.

Ah I forgot Robbie Savage. He's probably in a league of his own.

Michael Owen

I actually think Michael Owen is the lesser of the evils on BT Sport. It's not a measure of quality, because he is proper shite, but I'd always prefer Michael Owen to be co-commentating over Robbie Savage, Steve McManaman or Owen Hargreaves, every time. For all the money BT have, they've got a godawful lineup of talking heads.

Garth Crooks is merely misunderstood. A visionary ahead of his time. Possibly sent from the future, back through time to help shape football to come.

His BBC Team of the Week is quite something, on a regular basis.

[IMG]

Your first thought will be WTF?! understandably. But just look at it. It is an arrow, and it is pointing towards the goal. Genius.

Then there's this.

[IMG]

Kevin De Bruyne, £50m of attacking talent as the defensive midfielder? Wot u on, Garth? In the year 2185, there are no defensive midfielders. You play your best attacking players infront of the defence, because your defence are also attackers. The future is now.

More subtly:

[IMG]

He recently dialed it back 100 years, when defensive midfielders still had a place. A mere glimpse of the future, with that 4 man wall of attacking midfielders. 2085 Total football.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Garth Crooks is merely misunderstood. A visionary ahead of his time. Possibly sent from the future, back through time to help shape football to come.

His BBC Team of the Week is quite something, on a regular basis.

[IMG]

Your first thought will be WTF?! understandably. But just look at it. It is an arrow, and it is pointing towards the goal. Genius.

Then there's this.

[IMG]

Kevin De Bruyne, £50m of attacking talent as the defensive midfielder? Wot u on, Garth? In the year 2185, there are no defensive midfielders. You play your best attacking players infront of the defence, because your defence are also attackers. The future is now.

More subtly:

[IMG]

He recently dialed it back 100 years, when defensive midfielders still had a place. A mere glimpse of the future, with that 4 man wall of attacking midfielders. 2085 Total football.

Alexis Sanchez as a LWB is uh... Bold 

Yaya Toure is really pissed that he didn't win the African Footballer of the Year. Africa has betrayed him.

“I’m very, very disappointed,” he told Afrique Foot. “It’s sad to see Africa react this way, that they don’t think African achievements are important.

“I think this is what brings shame to Africa, because to act in that way is indecent. But what can we do about it? Us Africans, we don’t show that Africa is important in our eyes. We favour more what’s abroad than our own continent. That is pathetic.

“Even Fifa, with all its history of corruption, wouldn’t do this.

“Yaya will take care of Yaya and let Africa take care of itself,” he added. “As I’ve been told many times, you can’t take care of Africa too much because Africa will be the first to let you down.

“When I return to Europe, a lot of questions will be asked. I think I’m going to have to answer them. As I’m someone who’s honest, I will always tell the truth.”

He is a lunatic, unhinged from reality, and seems to expect football to orbit around him. Yaya has been a mixture of bang-average and total-liability for the last 2 years. He still came 2nd to a player who has averaged more than a goal a game since February. Aubamayang's form is insane. Mane and Ayew have been better than Yaya this year. Yaya should have barely even been in the top 5.

He has to be seen as a more suitable #2 than Bogdan. Why did they buy Bogdan? He's never been good.

Mignolet seems to be constantly under pressure as well, and every mistake he makes seems to be magnified, a little unfairly IMO. I don't think Rodgers was 100% convinced on him though. Ward could definitely get games.

I don't think loans should be allowed to be recalled though, unless the player hasn't been getting games. Clubs with small/non existent budgets prepare for the season with loanees in their squad. Losing a loanee in the middle of the season is difficult to re-prepare for.

If a team prematurely recalled a loanee from me in Football Manager, I'd nip into the live editor and put them into administration. That'd learn 'em.

5 hours ago, Doctor Acula said:

Does anyone think that Liverpool will play him?

I genuinely think they should do. Mignolet has proved enough times (for me) that he's not a top-class goalkeeper, and while Ward isn't there yet, I do think he has potential to be excellent. He's a pure shot-stopper, which is such an incongruous trait nowadays, strangely.

The other positive elements of Ward's game are that he's good with the ball at his feet and commands his area pretty well. Basically everything that Langfield wasn't! He'll be a massive miss. I genuinely think he has a shot at first team football for Liverpool though, given their current 'keeper problem and Klopp's track record of not having a problem playing youngsters. I really hope he does, because it would be pointless to go back and be their third choice. Hopefully Mignolet doesn't make the Arsenal game, Ward is thrown in, absolutely bricks it and gets sent back up the road*. At the very least this will show that Aberdeen is a good a place as any to send young talent on loan (and creates a cloud around sending Ryan McLaughlin back to Liverpool with about 20 minutes game time...).

Looks like we don't have a recall clause in Danny Rogers' loan with Falkirk, although Peter Houston has said that he'd send him back so as not to taint the relationship between the clubs. And here's me thinking that Houston was a giant fud.

Not sure what other options we have. Linked with Cammy Bell today FFS, that's not in my interests in the slightest.

*Not really.

Klopp might even have the stones to throw Ward in against United this weekend. He has form for dropping underperforming names for young players in big games. Rodgers did it too, when Jones started against United at Old Trafford, after Mignolet had an iffy few weeks.

I guess it depends on who Klopp sees at fault for Giroud's first goal. I'm not sure it was all Mignolet. For some reason, professional footballers seem incapable of staying on the near post on corners. They stand there when the corner is being lined up, but bolt away as soon as the ball comes in. If Lallana(?) just stayed on the post, it's not a goal. But instead, he ran away, under the flight of the ball, and become totally ineffective. Idiot. The nick Giroud got on it made it difficult for Mignolet to get down and stop it from such close range.

He should have done better for Ramsey's goal though. It looked like he was diving in slow motion.

I'm reading a book at the moment called "Tales From The Dugout" by Richard Gordon from BBC Scotland, it's mostly just short anecdotes about Scottish football as related by ex-managers and referees and is very Dons-heavy. There's a few cracking tales in it. One from a former fourth official who tells a story about officiating a game at Pittodrie and Aberdeen were getting beaten heavily, Ebbe Skovdahl waved him over and told him he wanted to make a substition, but when he gave him the piece of paper with the player numbers he wanted to swap he'd only given him the number of the player going on, not the one coming off. When he asked Skovdahl who he wanted to take off, Ebbe replied "you pick one, they're all pish!" and stormed off back in to the dugout!

Another from Lee Mair recounts the story of a Dons v Hearts match in which Chris Maguire had started getting in to a bit of pushing and shoving with Robbie Neilson at full time, and it had led to both sets of players steaming in. Before too long, they're all knocking lumps out of each other, Chris Maguire who'd started it was hiding in a corner, then Christian Nade comes piling in, chases the whole Dons team into their dressing room, then had to be talked down as he threatened to break the door down and take on the whole Dons team by himself!

Good lunchtime reading. It's on the Kindle store for £2.