aberdeen-music

2015/16 Soccer Thread.

Lemonade

Bunted out of the cup by Sheffield Wednesday reserves.

McClaren is shite.

He is bad. I think the Newcastle squad is decent too. Solid midtable quality. How he is below Sunderland, the worst side on planet earth currently, is unthinkable.

How does he keep getting jobs? Does his CV just say "I was Fergie's assistant that one time" and that gets him the nod?

Should have snagged Vieira. Newcastle might still have been bottom of the league, but it would have been more entertaining, with his "everybody get in their half!" all out attack that he had City's reserves playing.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

He is bad. I think the Newcastle squad is decent too. Solid midtable quality. How he is below Sunderland, the worst side on planet earth currently, is unthinkable.

How does he keep getting jobs? Does his CV just say "I was Fergie's assistant that one time" and that gets him the nod?

Should have snagged Vieira. Newcastle might still have been bottom of the league, but it would have been more entertaining, with his "everybody get in their half!" all out attack that he had City's reserves playing.

TBF, his record in Netherlands and Germany is pretty special.  Its just so strange that his good spell at Twente and Wolfsburg is surrounded by so much terribleness.  

Mbabu. This kid has had Pedro in his pocket all day, and then just put Hazard on his face with a great challenge. Gung-ho full backs are just the best thing to watch.

It's impossible to not like Mitrovic too.

As I type, they've made a bollocks of it. Willian with his trademark jammy goal.

Felt like a 5-0 loss in the end. 

Fantastic stuff from Perez (the GOAT), Mitrovic, Mbabu and Colback (!!!). More of that please.

Sacked in the morning? Mourinho is in meltdown. A meltdown of Kevin Keegan proportions. He's thrown everyone but himself under the bus

He's done further interviews with Bein Sports and Talksport and he is still ranting. The internet, Twitter specifically, is just chaos right now.

He just doesn't do third seasons.

Chelsea schadenfreude is in full effect. Great stuff.

Watched the man city game today. Newcastle looked steady first half. They have some quality players, it's a shame they'll see a relegation fight. As superb as a 5 goal haul from one of the world's best strikers is, you've got to question the management of schteve. How can you go from snuffing out every attack at the source in the first half to giving the best players on the pitch time to think in the second? I reckon schteve fancies himself, thinks he can take on every team he faces. Sometimes you have to play to your strengths and frustrate the better teams through stubborn tactics not go for back page headlines. A laudrup or a koeman would have won that game.

The last goal won't go down as one of the best goals of the season but it was fucking phenomenal. The run from de bruyne, the pass to him then the fact he's thinking about the next pass just knowing aguero's in there without seeing him... 3 quality players doing exactly what they're paid for. Lovely to watch.

Mourinho was talking utter bollocks as usual post-match, no way was that a Chelsea penalty, Falcao went looking for it and the ref made a good call.  Whilst the Saints had one clear cut penalty possibly two.  They were worthy winners, the way Chelsea give the ball away is ridiculous.

It looks like Advocaat is going to resign, the talk is Big Sam is going to come in now which would make sense, he will try and kick and hoof themselves. Quite a few Prem league managers could be out of a job soon!  

Defeat to Everton today and Rodgers will go I think.

Harsh on Brendan I think, although I'm certain that the next post about him will influence a total sway of my opinion.

He's been incredibly unlucky with injuries and recruitment (although the bizarre set-up Liverpool have for transfers has stunted the development of potentially very good Liverpool teams), signing a bunch of players who, on paper, looked excellent (Markovic could yet develop into a real talent), and others that really didn't do anything to justify their fees (Aspas, Balotelli).

He did provide one of the most exciting and unlikely title challenges in recent years (sure, they had the league's best player in Suarez, but even then few would have predicted them genuinely challenging for the league title), and for that he'll probably always have favour amongst the majority of LFC support, but his tactical inconsistency (admittedly, forced by injuries a lot of the time) and the lack of motivation some players showed under him towards the end of his/their time at the club would dictate that the club needs a change of manager.

Klopp would be a good long-term option; he's proven as a manager who can bring through young talent, and his teams are exciting as well as good at keeping the ball, which Liverpool fans will like. But honestly, if I had the option of picking Ancelotti over him, it seems like a no-brainer. A proven winner.

I agree. The incoming players this summer have been fine. Gomez in particular is a standout, and Milner for nothing is a solid buy. The poor buys are mostly from the last couple of years. The likes of Allen, Assaidi, Aspas... All the A's, among others.

I predict Klopp will have more of a pulling power, if it is him. Ancelotti too. But they may still struggle to bring in top targets due to not being in the Champions League. Klopp or Ancelotti may improve them in the short term, but I still don't see Liverpool finishing in the top 4 this season.

I like how BR is being treated as some kind of dearly departed saint just now on various blogs. All these stories coming up about him sending letters to fans with cancer and things like that. Shame it was all 'Arsenal fan MERKS rogers 'ere wiff a tweet' whilst he was in charge.

He's clearly not a bad manager, and by all accounts a decent guy, just didn't get any form of consistency with his side. It's been ages now since Liverpool were decent. Even under Benitez they were teetering on falling out the then 'top 4' - despite winning the champs league.

Rodgers did fine. 7th, 2nd and 6th. Pretty, pretty good indeed. I'm not sure how much input he had on transfers, as I've heard Liverpool have some kinda "transfer committee," but the current squad is all kinds of mediocre, especially in defence. That doesn't help.

The guy's a grade A David Brent/Alan Partridge expy, but he did well enough. His inability to create a functioning, consistent defence is quite alarming, but every single one of their current CBs is a clanger merchant.

Rodgers did fine. 7th, 2nd and 6th. Pretty, pretty good indeed. I'm not sure how much input he had on transfers, as I've heard Liverpool have some kinda "transfer committee," but the current squad is all kinds of mediocre, especially in defence. That doesn't help.

The guy's a grade A David Brent/Alan Partridge expy, but he did well enough. His inability to create a functioning, consistent defence is quite alarming, but every single one of their current CBs is a clanger merchant.

Skrtel is a wrestler, but I do like Sakho and Lovren. The latter especially had a great season before moving to Liverpool. Sakho has games where he looks unbeatable, then has a couple where he looks worse than Jonny Evans, but I think a lot of that is down to the role he is given to do. Rodgers' 3-4-3 is asking a lot of players who aren't too comfortable on the ball, Skrtel especially, but the other two aren't comfortable on it either. He seems to want total football from all 11 players, which is a little far fetched. You can see it from the runs forward from the Left CB and Rright CB in the back 3. Emre Can is good at it, because he's a solid all-rounder. But when you see Lovren or Sakho running out of the back like they're Beckenbauer, it's a bit silly.

There was a game a few weeks ago when Lovren bolted through the midfield and tried a couple of stepovers. It was shades of Phil Neville. He got tackled, and it looked ridiculous. Nothing wrong with centre backs not being dribblers, but forcing them to be dribblers is mental. Play it short and give it to players who can move the ball.

Rodgers seems more intent to be known for style over results. Klopp will no doubt turn them into a counter-attacking machine, which will be a shame, because it means we can't like Klopp anymore.