aberdeen-music

2015/16 Soccer Thread.

Lemonade

I've been losing interest in the EPL for years now and last night was a clear message from the powers that run the game. Welcome to the big time, now back in your box and don't try to disrupted the big boys in their quest to finish in the top 4!

Although they're always giving decisions against Chelsea, I heard someone say once...

The Liverpool goal was certainly offside going by the new rules.  The decision against the Bournemouth goal was a bit soft but I could see why it was given.  It's a bit hard not to foul people these days though.

It was offside by the old rules as well. He was definitely interfering with play. The goalkeeper reacted to it. I wonder if the flag had gone up if Coutinho had poked it in instead.

I thought the disallowed goal was a foul in real time, so understandable why he's given it, but upon seeing the replay, it looked incredibly soft. At first I thought he'd done what Crouch normally does and climbs up him like a ladder, but he doesn't really do that.

Using the Darmian/Micah Richards incident on Friday as a benchmark, which Souness, Redknapp and the Soccer Saturday mob were unanimous in deciding it should have been a penalty, then Bournemouth should have had two penalties from the grapples from Skrtel and Lovren whilst corners were being delivered.

Seemed like the order of the day was an automatic yellow card for even looking at Coutinho. How many players did he manage to get booked over nothing challenges?

• Upvote 1

What about the Pique sending off for Barca last night? I think it was a good decision. I hate when players think they are above the law of the game and crowd the officials / intimidate them. I know there is a lot at stake in football matches but unless FIFA embrace more use of technology then we all, including overpaid premadonnas, need to accept mistakes may happen.

Edited by KSJ81

I thought the Darmian one was a stone waller, I didn't understand why the pundits were suddenly so against it.

Skrtl, Shawcross and Huth have been doing that every corner for the past 5 years and have very rarely given a foul away.  Referees seem far less afraid to give fouls against the attacker as its only a free kick and no one really mentions it again.  Give a pen and it's talked about for a while afterwords.  

Grow a pair refs, it's fucking shit watching defenders pull and clamber all over attackers.  I want to see headed bullets.

Bring back Cahill.

Damien Duff has signed for Shamrock Rovers and is donating every penny of his wages over his two year contract to children's charities. It's probably a pittance compared to most English teams but still a decent gesture from a great bunch of lad.

"I don't want a penny. I thought it'd be something nice to do because I just want to play football. The only thing I've taken from Rovers is a loan of a car through (sponsors) Hyundai until I sort my situation out"

Incidentally his manager is former Hibs diddy Pat Fenlon.

• Upvote 2

Damien Duff has signed for Shamrock Rovers and is donating every penny of his wages over his two year contract to children's charities. It's probably a pittance compared to most English teams but still a decent gesture from a great bunch of lad.

"I don't want a penny. I thought it'd be something nice to do because I just want to play football. The only thing I've taken from Rovers is a loan of a car through (sponsors) Hyundai until I sort my situation out"

Incidentally his manager is former Hibs diddy Pat Fenlon.

Duff is class.

I fondly remember him being part of that incredibly likeable Fulham side that got to the Europa League final in 2010, along with the criminally underrated Danny Murphy, Big Bad Brede Hangeland, and the joyous lunatic that is Dickson Etuhu, who used to do a lap of honour, on his own, around the pitch whenever Fulham won. Hard to believe they forced Atletico Madrid into extra time in the final, a team that included De Gea, Forlan, Reyes, Simao and Aguero! That was a great team.

Thauvain to Newcastle is a scoop and a half. He's quality.

Some great players coming in this season from Ligue 1. I said it when he was signed, but i'll say it again...Payet is a phenomenal buy for West Ham. I thought he was destined for PSG/CIty/Real after watching a few Marseille games last season. The Ayews are class too.

Is there something going on at Marseille that we're not being made aware of? They've been flogging all their players at bargain prices. Gignac fucked off to Mexico ffs.

Read this on another forum regarding Marseille:

Marseille do the same thing every 4 or 5 years. Sell everyone, reduce the wage bill, and start all over again. Marcelo Bielsa left in typical Bielsa fashion immediately after the first game of the season, in part because the club's management are more focused on transfer revenue than pushing towards a period of stability and success. Bielsa fielded a fairly depleted side in his final game, a side that was totally alien compared to last seasons side who were top of Ligue Un for the first half of the season. It seems they started to fall when the January transfer window opened last season, and the club put every player in the squad up for sale. Players lost focus, plotting their next moves. Their heads were gone. I am certain Bielsa would have stayed if he could have kept the core of players from last season together, but the damage was done as far back as January. A team that should have won the league were unsettled by the penny-pinchers upstairs.