aberdeen-music

2015/16 Soccer Thread.

Lemonade

https://twitter.com/IvicaStrok10

Jonny Gabriel, who you may know from the Football Manager film, and the book "Football Manager Stole My Life" has created a Twitter account for his FM regen striker, Ivica Strok. It might just be one of the greatest corners of the internet.

Allegedly, there will be an autobiography. Mental. I want it.

Jonny has also written an article about Strok for Vice. It is good

my-obsession-with-a-fictional-football-m

https://twitter.com/IvicaStrok10

Jonny Gabriel, who you may know from the Football Manager film, and the book "Football Manager Stole My Life" has created a Twitter account for his FM regen striker, Ivica Strok. It might just be one of the greatest corners of the internet.

Allegedly, there will be an autobiography. Mental. I want it.

Jonny has also written an article about Strok for Vice. It is good

my-obsession-with-a-fictional-football-m

This is possibly just beyond being enjoyable for me.  Just a bit too bonkers. I have had similar experiences, however.  

Why are pre-season friendlies such a big deal all of a sudden? I saw a report today that said that Benteke has already paid back a portion of his transfer fee with his goal today. How is a pre-season goal against fucking Swindon worth anything? Why were there even TV cameras there?

Edited by Lemonade

Why are pre-season friendlies such a big deal all of a sudden? I saw a report today that said that Benteke has already paid back a portion of his transfer fee with his goal today. How is a pre-season goal against fucking Swindon worth anything? Why were there even TV cameras there?

Was quite a nice goal but it was against Swindon in a pre-season friendly.  I guess cameras are there because people want to watch, and lots of folks miss football over the summer (even people on this forum, I think).  It's now become a lot easier to watch these games via the internet, which is both good and bad in some ways, and that also explains why there are more reports on them in the media with sometimes outlandish headlines. I actually find them quite interesting games at least for seeing new signings, new formations and reserve/ youth players you don't get to see very often.

Friendlies are just marketing operations nowadays. A chance for overseas fans to see their teams. I think they're a good thing, although not always a great spectacle. On paper you get to see Real v Chelsea but really you're seeing a half-paced training session. They're big business here in Poland every summer. 

Friendlies are pretty drab. One paced football, with everyone fearing injury so there's very little pressing or tackling, and then the little momentum the game has is interrupted by 11 substitutions in one go. Players usually play out of position just to get minutes and a touch of the ball. They're not worth going out of your way for.

The only good thing that can happen in a friendly is a penalty shootout, as usually players who wouldn't normally take a penalty step up. Goalkeepers, to be specific. Courtois' penalty against PSG last week was joyous. He took it like a goal kick. Boof. Net buster. If the keeper had got a hand to it, it would have broken his arm.

The only good thing that can happen in a friendly is a penalty shootout, as usually players who wouldn't normally take a penalty step up. Goalkeepers, to be specific. Courtois' penalty against PSG last week was joyous. He took it like a goal kick. Boof. Net buster. If the keeper had got a hand to it, it would have broken his arm.

Also known as a 'Pressman':

• Upvote 1

Really disappointing and arguably undeserved over the two legs.

We suffered last night because our final ball was poor. Hayes and McGinn didn't seem on it and Shinnie and Logan seemed reluctant to put a ball in first time after any overlap for some reason (I guess tactical?).

Excellent performance overall though, against a good side who seemed to know every trick in the book for time wasting, feigning injury, playing the (pretty weak) ref. If we play anywhere near that in the Premiership every week we'll be there or there abouts.

Playing in the Europa League is a hindrance to a lot of the mid table Premier League teams so it doesn't surprise me West Ham went out early, you can detect that's what Billic really wanted.  Whilst I can understand the process of playing Thursday/Sunday is not ideal but surely its time to scale down the sheer size of the competition and the amount of games played.  Its beyond ridiculous!  As for relegation well did Hull not get knocked out at the similar stage last season by some Belgian giants and look what happened to them!  Hard luck on Aberdeen though.  At least Koeman is taking it seriously!

First game of the season today (and the only day I am in the UK for my two week holiday from work so it was meant to be!) and Cambridge at home to Newport.  We have been spending the Man Utd money well, a complete overhaul of the squad (11 new signings!) and a target of the play-offs at the very least.  Should be a home banker today but we'll see!

I use pre-seasons as a chance to watch cheap no pressure football and catch up with me mates who I stand with and have a peek at new signings.  That for me is their purpose!

Bournemouth got screwed last night.

Their goal ruled out for a non existent foul and then Liverpool's is offside.

I've been losing interest in the EPL for years now and last night was a clear message from the powers that run the game. Welcome to the big time, now back in your box and don't try to disrupted the big boys in their quest to finish in the top 4!