aberdeen-music

2015/16 Soccer Thread.

Lemonade

Valdes getting dunted by Man United for refusing to play for the reserves. Or, as LVG put it: "not adhering to my philosophy."

I swear that guy drops the word "philosophy" into every single sentence, which is particularly weird when that "philosophy" is hoofing it up to Fellaini in a desperate attempt to get back into the CL, then spending the GDP of a small island nation on new players each summer.

Let's see, there's Gary Megson at number 1, obviously....

I actually don't know, there aren't may great British managers around at the moment are there? I'd say David Moyes, Brendan Rodgers, Steve McClaren, Tony Pulis and King Pards are in. Outside bets on Mark Hughes, Roy Hodgson, Gordon Strachan and Tim Sherwood. Who do you put highest out of that lot? Strachan obviously, but I'll say Moyes for lack of better options.

Valdes getting dunted by Man United for refusing to play for the reserves. Or, as LVG put it: "not adhering to my philosophy."

I swear that guy drops the word "philosophy" into every single sentence, which is particularly weird when that "philosophy" is hoofing it up to Fellaini in a desperate attempt to get back into the CL, then spending the GDP of a small island nation on new players each summer.

It's a bad situation that shouldn't have been made public. Both have acted pretty poorly, IMO. An episode of LvG losing the plot has been quite overdue, given his history. He's gone a full 12 months without anything out of the ordinary happening, but he should have kept this behind closed doors.

Throwing your own player under a bus in the public eye is poor form though. Do what you want in private. Kick a boot at his head. Whatever. Don't hang them out to dry in front of journalists, tv cameras, etc.

LvG is lucky that it's only a situation involving a backup goalkeeper. If it was David De Gea (in a hypothetical situation where David De Gea wasn't eyeing a move to Madrid) it could have been messy.

Wow I couldn't have really got that much wronger :-/

It's a bit of a pretentious list in the way it's very aware of the fact it's not including any British managers- it's trying to make a point I think. Not sure what the point is right enough.

I can't say I agree that Bruce Arena is a better manager than Tony Pulis or that Tony Popovich after 2 seasons in the Australian A League deserves a place on the list and David Moyes doesn't.

No arguments about the top 5. I'd put Wenger higher to be honest. His transformation of Arsenal into the stats and science-driven modern era is part of why the premier league is as succesfull as it is today.

We just looked solid. Taylor and Quinn were immense at centre back while we had the necessary pace and directness on the break to hurt them.

I thought Goodwillie was excellent and did a really selfless job for the team, winning little fouls and always looking available, with Pawlett working hard to get close enough to him that he wasn't hugely isolated when we got a chance to get out. Pretty inspired call by McInnes to drop Rooney.

Just fucking ace, basically.  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:

BREAKING NEWS: Aberdeen to face FC Kairat Almaty or Alashkert FC in third qualifying round if they overcome NK Rijeka next week

More details to follow

Kazakhstan or Armenia, two pretty serious long haul trips. Should be beatable teams, though I was hoping for one of the Dublin teams :down:

Edited by Lemonade

Kairat are 3-0 up in their first leg so seems a formality. Anitoliy Tymoshchuk (formerly of Bayern and star of one of my favourite ever gifs) plays for them, although he is now 36.

This is the trip:

vZij9EU.png

Probably the worst draw possible out of our pot to be honest. A ten hour flight for a European match! Mental.

1389715239_haar.gif

As a big fan of squad numbering, this time of year fills me with an excitement as to how clubs will appropriate the numbers. Big fan of Aberdeen and Man Utd's no nonsense approach. However, Celtic and Liverpool leave a lot to be desired. Liverpool have no goalie wearing the number one jersey and James Forrest is still wearing 49!

• Upvote 2

Squad number assignments are more exciting than actual transfers. I'm a big fan of Bayern Munich's squad numbering model. It goes against positional tradition which I usually prefer, but I dig that incoming signings get marquee numbers like Ribery 7, Lewandowski 9, Robben 10 and Costa 11, and players who come through the academy keep their squad number for as long as they're at the club. Lahm 21 Muller 25, Schweinsteiger 31, Kroos 39. That's neat.

Similarly, I wanted Januzaj to keep the 44 shirt he wore in his debut season, but he took the 11 last year. Giggs' 11. Just took it, like it was nothing. A shirt that has never been worn by a United player with any other name above it, as Giggs' 11 predates named shirts in English football. Then he was shit. Not cool.

Certain clubs in Serie A can go to hell too, with all these squad numbers in the 70s 80s and 90s. AC MIlan have just signed Carlos Bacca from Sevilla, and he has taken the 70 shirt. Shithouse. Go to hell.

11-12_Napoli_FC_Home_No.88_Gokhan_Inler_

Go to hell.

Stephan+El+Shaarawy+AC+Chievo+Verona+v+A

And you. Straight to hell.

ac-milan-number-trio.jpg

All hellbound.

263749_heroa.jpg

Hell. Now.

Average squad numbers in Europes top 5 leagues:

003_002.jpg

Solid efficiency from 4 of Europe's top 5 leagues, and then you have Serie A, taking the piss with their NFL bullshit. To hell.

There's no finer sight in football than seeing a robust defensive midfielder wearing the number 6 shirt. It should be in the laws of the game. The sanctions imposed for breaching that law should be double relegation.

Squad numbers are ace.

• Upvote 4

The to-ing and fro-ing was strange as well. He had a medical, then released a statement he was staying at "this great football club". And then he swanned off again.

Good player though. Ticks the home-grown box, of which City don't have many of. He's an upgrade on Fernando as well, who is utterly unremarkable. Villa could be in trouble, losing Vlaar, Delph, Benteke and Cleverley in one go.

We've signed some Serbian striker called Aleksandar Mitrovic.

Jeff Livingstone @IBWMJeff 6m6 minutes ago

Was tipped off about Mitrovic in 2012 so watched him. He scored a header , elbowed a centre back's throat and spat at the referees boots.

The radge hat-trick, as it's also known.

Should be fun at least...

Edited by Murrr