aberdeen-music

The Kindle Thread

Spoonie

bequietanddrive@kindle.com is mine.

Most of what I've got is fiction - literary, fantasy some sci-fi. I do have some non-fiction stuff though. 

The folk who are reading/have enjoyed Harry Potter - if you've not read Lev Grossman's Magicians Trilogy I've got that and highly recommend it.

What the fuck is up with the ads that display when my kindle isn't on? That's one of the hokiest things I've ever seen. I know Amazon isn't exactly known for it's sophistication but fuck me... ads on a piece of electronics that isn't even on, that's a new low. How can I get rid of them? If i can at all.

EDIT: NVM, found it. $20 to turn ads off... I didn't even know I was getting a device with ads otherwise I would have got another package/device. This culture of force-feeding ads into everything really winds me up. GADZ!

Edited by ca_gere

• 2 weeks later...

Aye, pretty much loving the kindle. Rattling through stuff at a fair lick. It's so much easier to fit in a few extra pages waiting for the bus or whatever. Also much easier to switch between books which I never did before irl. I had to abandon my plan of only reading free books this year and I've gotten rid of a lot of books in my flat which is a bit sad but liberating at the same time. Consider me spoonied though.

• Upvote 1

The flexibility and the size of the thing make reading something that I do in a lot more places than I ever would have before, so like you say, the speed of reading fairly ramps up. And when you're not in the mood for something heavy, you're two taps away from a different book! I was killing time in one of those second hand electrical stores last week looking at one for sale and wondering who I could buy it for as a present!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Something that's really ripping my knitting right now is the relative prices between hard copy and kindle books. In a lot of cases, especially with new releases, there's next to no difference, and a lot of the books are actually cheaper on hard copy than kindle! how is that possible?!

10 hours ago, Spoonie said:

Something that's really ripping my knitting right now is the relative prices between hard copy and kindle books. In a lot of cases, especially with new releases, there's next to no difference, and a lot of the books are actually cheaper on hard copy than kindle! how is that possible?!

Part of it is 'cause we have to pay VAT on eBooks whereas there's no VAT on paper books.