aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Hip Hop Scene Discussion

mxcisback

Whats good everyone, recently there has been an increase in rappers/emcees in the Aberdeen area but still only scratching the surface too reaching the public domain, so I wanted to get some feedback and thoughts on any rappers you think have potential or generally have caught your attention this year? If you are an artist feel free to post your links and details below! This is a discussion on Who are the best and worst rappers, what you think we could do to improve the scene and swapping ideas or hooking up for collaborations + projects.

Please try and keep it civil and not resort too being negative! I say try but cant guarantee it can I... lets go!

I was made too believe MC MAD MIKEY was the scene saviour... I mean he is a pimp who pays for his parking! haha

- Well theres a fair few you can listen too online ill get the links for you and you can have a scan if you wish bro.

Any of you guys perform or play any music?

MiC aka MXC (Rapper) https://soundcloud.com/themicisdeadofficial

SYKO (Rapper) https://soundcloud.com/sykoartist

PHAZE BEATS (Producer) https://soundcloud.com/phaze-beatz

JAZZA BASS (Rapper/Promoter) https://soundcloud.com/jazza-bass

SHY AND DRS (HipHop Duo) https://soundcloud.com/shyanddrs

RANSOM FA (Rapper) https://soundcloud.com/ransomfa

BAINZY (Rapper) https://soundcloud.com/anil-bains

MONTY https://soundcloud.com/alan-lamont-1

Ill spare you all having too listen too MC MAD MIKEY - there are a few other rappers hitting the scene atm

but this is the best links I could come up with too these guys music and myself.

CHEENS, iv only ever heard a couple of tracks by him - not gonna lie hes pretty decent.

SHY and DRS are sound guys, doing really well for themselves recently signed to Universal Records.

EZEKIEL... sadly iv never heard of him, will need too look into it asap.

Edited by mxcisback

There is a 'RAP OPEN MIC' happening on the 26th APRIL DOWNSTAIRS so check it out if you get a chance, Also SHMU FM have kick started some workshops and event nights for local rappers, producers etc. Fair few bodies starting to get into it so heres hoping it builds a fanbase locally.

There was a fella called Kuda a few years back who was decent. There's always been a few good hip hop djs on the go. Giles' hip hop sets were always great. There was a period during the rise of backpack hip hop when Aberdeen would consistently get good names playing - yoda, format and abdominal, scratch perverts, a lot of ninja tunes artists, etc. There was almost never local support outside of djs though.

The problem most Aberdeen rappers have is they talk about 'the game' and 'hustling' as if they live in compton as opposed to shedocksley. There may be a modicum of talent in there but the insincerity of appropriating hip hop culture instead of taking elements of the genre and doing your own thing prevails, making for pretty dire stuff. Not all rappers of course but the majority. Most on that list were a 20 seconds and done job I'm afraid.

Take that Edinburgh hip hop group whose name I forget. The one who did a track about the referendum that got a bunch of press. I think their music is mostly shit but at least they're rapping about stuff they genuinely feel/experience and for that they get a lot of respect in my eyes. Funk, what's their name?

• Upvote 2

The problem most Aberdeen rappers have is they talk about 'the game' and 'hustling' as if they live in compton as opposed to shedocksley. There may be a modicum of talent in there but the insincerity of appropriating hip hop culture instead of taking elements of the genre and doing your own thing prevails, making for pretty dire stuff. Not all rappers of course but the majority. Most on that list were a 20 seconds and done job I'm afraid.

I actually agree with alot youve said... you can probably tell im MXC, any feedback? even if its a snippet of something be as brutally honest as possible and im interested to hear everyones views on the other rappers! A few of those lads have just started and theres alot of good rappers in aberdeen that aint yet made a soundcloud or fired tracks up online - when they do ill post links for you guys. Then again even i probably only know a quarter of the rappers in aberdeen, still some too be found haha.

There was a French lad who used to rap with Colin Austin's band (the name of which escapes me completely), he was pretty good. I think Cheens was the last one that made me think it was possible for Scottish rappers to not sound completely odd (for the same reasons as ca-gere).

Edited by Alkaline

There was a fella called Kuda a few years back who was decent. There's always been a few good hip hop djs on the go. Giles' hip hop sets were always great. There was a period during the rise of backpack hip hop when Aberdeen would consistently get good names playing - yoda, format and abdominal, scratch perverts, a lot of ninja tunes artists, etc. There was almost never local support outside of djs though.

Take that Edinburgh hip hop group whose name I forget. The one who did a track about the referendum that got a bunch of press. I think their music is mostly shit but at least they're rapping about stuff they genuinely feel/experience and for that they get a lot of respect in my eyes. Funk, what's their name?

I think you're talking about Stanley Odd (who I tried to listen to but are wholly unpleasant to my ears). Young Fathers are also from Edinburgh and significantly less off-putting than Stanley Odd, but there discography's a bit patchy and very abstract. They have a new record out that I need to invest some time in.

The big list of Aberdeen MCs posted earlier is nice. I'm gonna get stuck into that shortly, see what's going on in my town.

Crying out for a good hip-hop club night though. Like, I'm pretty sure there's not a big audience for it here, but if I knew of such I night I'd pretty much be there every single time.

I actually agree with alot youve said... you can probably tell im MXC, any feedback? even if its a snippet of something be as brutally honest as possible and im interested to hear everyones views on the other rappers! A few of those lads have just started and theres alot of good rappers in aberdeen that aint yet made a soundcloud or fired tracks up online - when they do ill post links for you guys. Then again even i probably only know a quarter of the rappers in aberdeen, still some too be found haha.

Your stuff is probably the best of the bunch to be fair . What are some of your influences?

There was a French lad who used to rap with Colin Austin's band (the name of which escapes me completely), he was pretty good. I think Cheens was the last one that made me think it was possible for Scottish rappers to not sound completely odd (for the same reasons as ca-gere).

A'ZI Cool I believe, saw them in Drummonds one time with Copy Haho, the lad Kuda and the French lad both rapped. I remember being pleasantly surprised that it was non-shit

• 2 years later...