aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Comings and Goings

2 hours ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

grease-tell-me-more-tell-me-more-tell-me

It's going ot be called "The Craftsman Company" it has the windows done with the decals etc and there is a facebook page but it doesn't look anywhere near ready to open. Was speaking to the guy who runs the Wig and he said they were looking at opening a pub there but because they turned it into offices which literally no one used it was going to cost about 100k to turn it back into a bar. No idea how accurate those figures are like.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-6-5 at 9:07 PM, Lemonade said:

You know what needs to fuck off? Places that are both barber shops and tattoo shops. Trendy cunts. Especially if they're also a coffee bar too. I'm never getting a tattoo in a barbershop, ever, so you go and you die. 

do they actually exist?? how the fuck did they get around the health and safety folk? 'aye its fine, beard trimmings and topknot grease are GOOD for healing  lighthouse tattoos'

4 minutes ago, AVB said:

do they actually exist?? how the fuck did they get around the health and safety folk? 'aye its fine, beard trimmings and topknot grease are GOOD for healing  lighthouse tattoos'

There's one on every street corner in Dublin at the moment. Every street is just a row of vape shops with barbers / tattooists on the corners. There's one that has a barber, a tattooist, a coffee shop  and a games arcade in it. I think they may even serve beer. 

Trendy barbers are my pet hate at the moment. 

https://lovin.ie/entertainment/celebs/the-top-10-barbers-in-dublin

8 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

There's one on every street corner in Dublin at the moment. Every street is just a row of vape shops with barbers / tattooists on the corners. There's one that has a barber, a tattooist, a coffee shop  and a games arcade in it. I think they may even serve beer. 

fuck thats grim! haha George street is really bad for barbers and tattoo shops these days but ive not seen a combo yet! no doubt that ll be spewdogs next endeavour 

• Upvote 1

On 07/06/2017 at 10:47 AM, Lemonade said:

Truth. Trendy barbers can do one. They kit it out with some retro decor, and then charge £30+ for a trim. Nah. I'd rather go to a grotty one in one of the units at the end of a bus station. It's just a hair cut.

Walked in to one the other week in Bath. Looked at the price list and quickly walked out. No need to pay that amount for a no.6 up the back and sides and a bit of a scissor on top. Went around the corner to a less kitschy sort of place, payed a third of the price for the same job, whilst talking about holidays and why I'm not at work - standard. If I stayed at the other place, they'd have probably wanted to talk about craft beer, vinyl, and cats. Urgh.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Soda Jerk said:

Truth. Trendy barbers can do one. They kit it out with some retro decor, and then charge £30+ for a trim. Nah. I'd rather go to a grotty one in one of the units at the end of a bus station. It's just a hair cut.

Walked in to one the other week in Bath. Looked at the price list and quickly walked out. No need to pay that amount for a no.6 up the back and sides and a bit of a scissor on top. Went around the corner to a less kitschy sort of place, payed a third of the price for the same job, whilst talking about holidays and why I'm not at work - standard. If I stayed at the other place, they'd have probably wanted to talk about craft beer, vinyl, and cats. Urgh.

I always go to the same barber. Local, €12, in an out in half an hour. Minimal shitchat. Last year I decided to go to a trendy barber that opened nearby for a change of scenery. You get a free beer and they have PlayStations. There was someone in the chair when I arrived so I waited a while. I noted the guy was unusually chatty and it was taking a while, but nothing could have prepared me for what was coming. As soon as I sat in the chair he started with an absolute blizzard of bullshit. Like Jay Cartwright levels of bullshit. Here's a few of the tales he spun me. 

He was the brother of a famous Irish international footballer. He (the hairdresser, not his brother) used to play for Arsenal. He'd played alongside Vieira, Henry, Pires etc. He'd made 1 or 2 appearances in the first team, was loaned out to Aston Villa, but fell out with the manager there and never played a game. Had his career ended after a training ground tackle by an Arsenal teammate who had a grudge against him (I can't remember who but it was someone famous). Moved back to Ireland, starting playing for League of Ireland teams, was the all time highest scoring player in LOI history (he had only recently retired, he was a young guy, maybe about 30). Got 1 Ireland cap while playing in LOI, missed a free kick by inches. Had since become a qualified barber, owned this place (he didn't), had won Irish barber of the year so many times they wouldn't let him enter the competition any more. (I Googled all of this when I got home and it was all bullshit, every word). Claimed to be a very very rich man who owned a string of businesses but was wearing a tracksuit. I'm not saying he was definitely off his face on drugs, but he was slurring his words, his eyes were half closed and at one point he tripped over my foot and ended up sitting on my lap. Gave me comfortably the worst haircut I've ever had and spent so long talking (he couldn't cut hair and talk shit at the same time apparently) that the whole thing took an hour and half.  Took  25 quid off me for the privilege. I went back to my usual place after that. 

Edited by Lemonade
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Lemonade said:

I always go to the same barber. Local, €12, in an out in half an hour. Minimal shitchat. Last year I decided to go to a trendy barber that opened nearby for a change of scenery. You get a free beer and they have PlayStations. There was someone in the chair when I arrived so I waited a while. I noted the guy was unusually chatty and it was taking a while, but nothing could have prepared me for what was coming. As soon as I sat in the chair he started with an absolute blizzard of bullshit. Like Jay Cartwright levels of bullshit. Here's a few of the tales he spun me. 

He was the brother of a famous Irish international footballer. He (the hairdresser, not his brother) used to play for Arsenal. He'd played alongside Vieira, Henry, Pires etc. He'd made 1 or 2 appearances in the first team, was loaned out to Aston Villa, but fell out with the manager there and never played a game. Had his career ended after a training ground tackle by an Arsenal teammate who had a grudge against him (I can't remember who but it was someone famous). Moved back to Ireland, starting playing for League of Ireland teams, was the all time highest scoring player in LOI history (he had only recently retired, he was a young guy, maybe about 30). Got 1 Ireland cap while playing in LOI, missed a free kick by inches. Had since become a qualified barber, owned this place (he didn't), had won Irish barber of the year so many times they wouldn't let him enter the competition any more. (I Googled all of this when I got home and it was all bullshit, every word). Claimed to be a very very rich man who owned a string of businesses but was wearing a tracksuit. I'm not saying he was definitely off his face on drugs, but he was slurring his words, his eyes were half closed and at one point he tripped over my foot and ended up sitting on my lap. Gave me comfortably the worst haircut I've ever had and spent so long talking (he couldn't cut hair and talk shit at the same time apparently) that the whole thing took an hour and half.  Took  25 quid off me for the privilege. I went back to my usual place after that. 

that sounds awesome! haha wheres this? i wanna go just for story time

What's the protocol for a bad haircut? I've always awkwardly said it's fine then walked out with a hat on. I don't go to hairdressers/barbers anymore. My sister is a hairdresser so she just does it in the house. But can you walk out and not pay if they've fucked it up? Could you do the same with a manicure, or make-up artist, or even tattooist? I mean if youre food is shite you can refuse to pay (although I've never done that. and in fact a friend took me out for lunch. there was something wrong with both our dishes and they still went and paid. I said they shouldn't have, but if it was me paying, i wouldn't have had the gaul to refuse payment)

22 hours ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

What's the protocol for a bad haircut? I've always awkwardly said it's fine then walked out with a hat on. I don't go to hairdressers/barbers anymore. My sister is a hairdresser so she just does it in the house. But can you walk out and not pay if they've fucked it up? Could you do the same with a manicure, or make-up artist, or even tattooist? I mean if youre food is shite you can refuse to pay (although I've never done that. and in fact a friend took me out for lunch. there was something wrong with both our dishes and they still went and paid. I said they shouldn't have, but if it was me paying, i wouldn't have had the gaul to refuse payment)

i think most of us would be in the same boat as you man, ive had hunners of hack jobs and never once told them they done fucked up...

23 hours ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

I had a haircut that was pretty terrible, but didn't realise just how bad it was until I got home and washed it. The unevenness became more apparent when it was wet, and then I noticed chunks missing all over the place. Went back the next day, and they sorted it out for free, though it ended up being much shorter than I'd like.

If I spotted something right away, I'd definitely ask them to sort it before I left. Not sure what I'd do if it was so bad that it can't really be fixed without shaving my whole head. I've never had a haircut that bad.

I did refuse to pay for food in Jimmy Chungs once. My own fault for going to Jimmy Chungs I suppose. Bit into a piece of chicken, and it was pink and jelly-like in the middle. They tried to convince me it was marinade. Marinade in the CENTRE of a chunk of chicken breast. A marinade that has no discernable taste, but matches the texture of raw chicken. Sounds plausible. It was undercooked, and not even just a little bit.

Started to walk out, they demanded that we pay. I was having none of it, not for undercooked and potentially poisonous food. They then said "well you at least have to pay for your drinks" which we had barely even touched anyway, by which point we were already out the door. I probably would have paid for drinks if they had admitted their negligence. Lying about it made me not want to give them anything at all.

On 6/11/2017 at 11:06 AM, Jaaakkkeee said:

You make this face, pay and walk out without saying a word:

CgHGea8WEAAXVU6.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...

Been a while but here you go. Taco Bell are opening two restaurants in Aberdeen. The first will be next to Mcdonalds on Union Street in the former Clarks unit. The second will be at the Haudagain Retail Park in the former Maplin/Carphone Warehouse unit. This will be a drive through. Decathlon will be opening an Aberdeen store. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...