aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Comings and Goings

My last job had a rule that you weren't allowed to discuss work or the company on social media, or bizarrely in public in case you were bad mouthing it on a bus and someone heard. I absolutely hated the place and openly and frequently taunted it on Facebook knowing that my managers would see it because I don't let THE MAN tell me what to do. 

Dis me. 

As things turned out, I got indoctrinated, got promoted a couple of times, became the thing I hated, stayed for two years and cried the day I left, but still, dis me. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2017 at 2:42 PM, Improved Thinker said:

B&M are opening on Union Street where BHS used to be.

Card Factory are opening at Dyce Shopping Centre.

Home Bargains are opening at Berryden Retail Park where JJB used to be.

Subway are opening at Dyce Shopping Centre.

Greggs and Subway are opening concession stores at Shell Petrol Station, King Street.

Grim pickins.

Don't forget Vape shops. Down here in Englandshire, the Cash4Gold shop in my little village was changed in to a Vape shop a few weeks ago. It's a pretty big store, totally empty, apart from the cashier right at the back, with a shelf of vapes behind him.

I expect it to go full circle, and it will become an American candy shop in the next 12 months.

RIP town centres.

7 hours ago, Stroopy121 said:

Also John Lewis is being replace by Poundland and Debenhams is being replaced by a really fucking big Cash4Gold.

xx

Is this for real?! fuck me that's sad.

People still go into town to mill about and spend money, it's not like everyone sits in front of their computers and orders EVERYTHING online these days - there must be money-making opportunities beyond lowest common denominator shit surely?

2 hours ago, Stroopy121 said:

I'm just excited at the prospect of these boutique burger joints fucking off again. HAVE A CHEESE BURGER WITH LUCKY CHARMS ON IT! Cunts.

xx

In Poland this shit has gone into overdrive. My local bagel store 'invented' the rainbow bagel a few years back. Now, it's rammed with gaggles of tweeny boppers taking pictures of themselves eating the things. It tastes like shite too. You see folk with luggage in the store... they get off the subway on their way into the city from the airport to get one of these bagels.

Worst one I saw recently was a cookie dough shop. Basically like an ice cream parlour but instead of scoops of ice cream it sells scoops of cookie dough. Of course it's called 'DØ'. It had a line that snaked around the the entire block and a bouncer at the door.

2 hours ago, Stroopy121 said:

I'm just excited at the prospect of these boutique burger joints fucking off again. HAVE A CHEESE BURGER WITH LUCKY CHARMS ON IT! Cunts.

xx

That's gone full circle as well. Stripped back fast food-like burgers at boutique prices are totally IN. Like Five Guys, where you're looking at about £17 for a burger, fries and drink, served to you in a paper bag by someone who screams your order number at you. They don't even portion the fries up in anything. They just pour them into the bag on top of the burger. The bag becomes the plate. A plate that the food exploded on.

There's a new one around here called Smash Burger, which is the same sort of deal, and the same sort of prices.

As opposed to the restaurant burgers, stacked far too big to eat so you have to dismantle it, served to you on a slab of wood or the end of a shovel, with a rum and coke in an old bean can, and a handful of fries in what looks like a little frying basket. That's so 2015.

Taking your OH and a hypothetical couple of kids to Five Guys would probably set you back near £80 for a burger some spotty teen probably spat on, and then kicked at you in a bag.

Gourmet Hot Dogs will be next. They're already creeping in around here a little bit.

4 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Is this for real?! fuck me that's sad.

People still go into town to mill about and spend money, it's not like everyone sits in front of their computers and orders EVERYTHING online these days - there must be money-making opportunities beyond lowest common denominator shit surely?

It's not for real at all.

xx

4 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

That's gone full circle as well. Stripped back fast food-like burgers at boutique prices are totally IN. Like Five Guys, where you're looking at about £17 for a burger, fries and drink, served to you in a paper bag by someone who screams your order number at you. They don't even portion the fries up in anything. They just pour them into the bag on top of the burger. The bag becomes the plate. A plate that the food exploded on.

There's a new one around here called Smash Burger, which is the same sort of deal, and the same sort of prices.

As opposed to the restaurant burgers, stacked far too big to eat so you have to dismantle it, served to you on a slab of wood or the end of a shovel, with a rum and coke in an old bean can, and a handful of fries in what looks like a little frying basket. That's so 2015.

Taking your OH and a hypothetical couple of kids to Five Guys would probably set you back near £80 for a burger some spotty teen probably spat on, and then kicked at you in a bag.

Gourmet Hot Dogs will be next. They're already creeping in around here a little bit.

I'd forgive the shops selling that shit to idiots if it weren't for the fact that so many fucking morons that I know harp on about how GREAT it is to spend £20 on a burger. Fucking chumps.

xx

I'm all about decent quality burgers - when they're not a total rip-off like most of the 'gourmet joints' in Aberdeen.

I tried three of them on my last visit and the were all underwhelming as fuck. Five Guys is literally a £10 McDonalds burger. Filthy Gorgeous patties were about the size of an old 50 pence piece and Boozy cow was just not worth the cash - both of these places I was over a tenner for the burger itself.

Five guys and Boozy Cow were Deliveroo'd so I'm not sure if that makes any difference to the quality - I shouldn't think so.

Bread Meats Bread do do fantastic burgers, as do/did Sleazy's.

Edited by James Broonbreed

The only Burger joint I'm interested in is Three Brothers in Bristol. Its a little pricey, but it's badass, and the place is on a MFing BOAT on the canal. They have the best selection of beers and ciders.

A couple of years ago, we arrived late in to Bristol after delayed flights and trains. The place was supposed to close at half 10. We arrived at 10 and they said no problem. They were letting people in for food until near midnight. Food stopped at 12 but folk could come in for beers after that. Then we sat out on the deck of the boat and drank all of the cider until 2am, whilst watching the mad thunder that delayed our flight. They close when the party is over.

3 Bros aside, I'd rather make my own burgers, or go elsewhere. Most burger joints are weird and try too hard to deliver a gimmick nobody wants, and the burgers are often bang average at best.

If you're ever in Bristol, go to 3 Brothers. And invite me. 

Edited by Soda Jerk
  • Upvote 1