aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Comings and Goings

This is from yesterday but my brain did not think to post.

The new development at the beach where Jimmy Chung's used to be has been hit by set backs. Pier Bistro were to move into the new build with Gourdon chip shop Hornblowers who would have opened with a 1950's style ice cream parlour attached. Due to delay's in the project Hornblowers have pulled out. They were not happy with timescale. It's a shame since it's only just recently started to be built. They are looking for alternative Aberdeen locations.

I feel they may have cowboy builders since I have seen quite obvious health and safety violations on the building site.

A new 'Bespoke' barber is to open on Belmont Street called Mr Dunn located next door to Belmont Filmhouse.

I don't normally post this but it's been quite prominent in the news. Some people Petrol bombed Dyce Police Station located at the Primary School.

Edited by Improved Thinker
Dycw

3 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Good news that a noodle bar and a burger joint are coming to town, for the days when you're bored of the other two noodle places and the other five burger joints.

Remember that time there was three Santander banks on Union Street?

You have never been to Five Guys then or you would know that it serves the best burgers in the Western Hemisphere.

It's like comparing Gone With The Wind with The Harry Hill Movie.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Do they serve peanuts in Five Guys? Like a tray of shelled peanuts? It's a thing they serve here. I've never understood it but wondering whether it travelled.

Also, remember Abbey National?

Yes, complimentary peanuts complete with a sign saying do not remove from store.

It is also just as unhealthy with huge portion sizes.

Yes. Trendy burger joints with half pound burgers made with only locally sourced ingredients served with sourdough bread and caramelised chilli banana and red onion marmalade are on every corner these days. They serve drinks in jam jars and every cunt has a beard.

Improved Thinker, what's in the old The City cafe building on Netherkirkgate?

Five guys is pretty bog standard and cheap here. Definitely not trendy. Shake shack is another one I'm sure is popping up in the UK now. It's somewhat revered and pretty good. 

i remember when there was only 1 subway in Scotland in Glasgow. I thought it was the greatest sandwich place on earth back then.

• Upvote 1

On 07/03/2016 at 8:29 PM, Improved Thinker said:

You have never been to Five Guys then or you would know that it serves the best burgers in the Western Hemisphere.

It's like comparing Gone With The Wind with The Harry Hill Movie.

It doesn't. It isn't.

I've been to Five Guys in Bristol. It's alright. A level above your fast food spots (but double the price), but there's better burgers to be had. That new place in Union Square, Byrons, is a better burger. Great selection of drinks too, and the staff are great. I'd take a Boozy Cow burger over Five Guys too, even though Boozy Cow's premises is pretty crappy. We had to share a table with another couple when we were there. It was weird. Top scran though.

Five Guys can't really justify the prices like the restaurants can. The restaurants at least give you some sort of dining experience. Appetisers, a beer, they bring the food to you on a plate (remember plates?). At Five Guys, your food comes in a bag, and wrapped in foil, but for restaurant prices. Mutton dressed as lamb.

Best burger joint I've been to is Three Brothers in Bristol. Excellent burgers, great selection of local ciders (bear in mind it is in Somerset, so it is surrounded by the best cider on planet earth) and it's on a boat. A motherfucking boat.

Q: Is Five Guys going to be on a boat?

A: No it's in the old Gap store.

Not interested.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

Love me some burger chat.

My favourite local burger place is fucking mental. It's kinda hard to describe because 'comic book themed burger bar with free video games and ridiculous burger combos' doesn't do it justice. The food is tasty but really it's the experience of going there that makes it worth it. Initially we thought the guy who owns it has some sort of personality disorder or something because you walk in and there is just stuff and signs and text everywhere. He uses about 50 different fonts on his menu and everything is different sizes. Then the menu itself takes about an hour to read through because there are so many different combos of weird shit put together that sounds kinda nice but utterly insane. I wish I could find a picture of the van he cuts about in - it's like the scrawlings of a serial killer, only typed up in MS Word using comic sans and wing dings in the form of a food menu.

They also do an open bar thing where you pay about 15 quid and gorge yourself on boozy milkshakes for 2 hours - which is just plain awesome

There's just a schizophrenic/ADHD vibe to the place that overloads you and it seems to attract your classic goth/outsider types only dialed up to 100. Then a couple of weeks ago we happened to be watching 'Mystery Diners' on the food network and up pops the guy. They created this elaborate storyline where the heroine/muse of the comic book he had written was stealing comics from customers and selling them on craigslist. It's one of the most awkward episode of 'reality' TV i've ever seen but just adds to this place's mythic status in my mind.

here's an example off the menu:

The Wafflenaut

Three Belgium waffles, syrup, super action burger, egg, double bacon, cheddar, grilled onions, crushed sweet tots, whipped cream

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Yes. Trendy burger joints with half pound burgers made with only locally sourced ingredients served with sourdough bread and caramelised chilli banana and red onion marmalade are on every corner these days. They serve drinks in jam jars and every cunt has a beard.

Improved Thinker, what's in the old The City cafe building on Netherkirkgate?

The building has had scaffolding around it for 2 and a half years. Looking on The City website it says they are closed for refurbishment from September 2013 and that it would take 6 months. It's nearly been 3 years and it's still in scaffolding not sure if it's still being worked on or abandoned. 

4 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

It doesn't. It isn't.

I've been to Five Guys in Bristol. It's alright. A level above your fast food spots (but double the price), but there's better burgers to be had. That new place in Union Square, Byrons, is a better burger. Great selection of drinks too, and the staff are great. I'd take a Boozy Cow burger over Five Guys too, even though Boozy Cow's premises is pretty crappy. We had to share a table with another couple when we were there. It was weird. Top scran though.

Five Guys can't really justify the prices like the restaurants can. The restaurants at least give you some sort of dining experience. Appetisers, a beer, they bring the food to you on a plate (remember plates?). At Five Guys, your food comes in a bag, and wrapped in foil, but for restaurant prices. Mutton dressed as lamb.

Best burger joint I've been to is Three Brothers in Bristol. Excellent burgers, great selection of local ciders (bear in mind it is in Somerset, so it is surrounded by the best cider on planet earth) and it's on a boat. A motherfucking boat.

Q: Is Five Guys going to be on a boat?

A: No it's in the old Gap store.

Not interested.

Very coincidental that you mention Boozy Cow. I was going to post this earlier but the website was down.

Amicus Apple is closing down and The Boozy Cow will move in there.

Don't say I'm not good to you.

2 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Love me some burger chat.

My favourite local burger place is fucking mental. It's kinda hard to describe because 'comic book themed burger bar with free video games and ridiculous burger combos' doesn't do it justice. The food is tasty but really it's the experience of going there that makes it worth it. Initially we thought the guy who owns it has some sort of personality disorder or something because you walk in and there is just stuff and signs and text everywhere. He uses about 50 different fonts on his menu and everything is different sizes. Then the menu itself takes about an hour to read through because there are so many different combos of weird shit put together that sounds kinda nice but utterly insane. I wish I could find a picture of the van he cuts about in - it's like the scrawlings of a serial killer, only typed up in MS Word using comic sans and wing dings in the form of a food menu.

They also do an open bar thing where you pay about 15 quid and gorge yourself on boozy milkshakes for 2 hours - which is just plain awesome

There's just a schizophrenic/ADHD vibe to the place that overloads you and it seems to attract your classic goth/outsider types only dialed up to 100. Then a couple of weeks ago we happened to be watching 'Mystery Diners' on the food network and up pops the guy. They created this elaborate storyline where the heroine/muse of the comic book he had written was stealing comics from customers and selling them on craigslist. It's one of the most awkward episode of 'reality' TV i've ever seen but just adds to this place's mythic status in my mind.

here's an example off the menu:

The Wafflenaut

Three Belgium waffles, syrup, super action burger, egg, double bacon, cheddar, grilled onions, crushed sweet tots, whipped cream

I should look this place up. I am visiting New York next year and so this sounds like a great place.

+Rep

3 hours ago, Alkaline said:

This burger chat is nonsense. Burger van at Matalan near the Beach. Scran.

I'm a Berryden Burger Van man myself, right opposite Argos. Purely because I have no reason to ever go to Matalan. Having some sort of membership card to buy a plain shirt for £3 is something I can't get on board with.

Hasn't that place been on the brink of closing for the last 5 years?

58 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

I'm a Berryden Burger Van man myself, right opposite Argos. Purely because I have no reason to ever go to Matalan. Having some sort of membership card to buy a plain shirt for £3 is something I can't get on board with.

The landlord is planning to evict them at the end of the lease and turn it into student flats. They have said they will relocate though.

Edited by Improved Thinker

55 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

I bought a smart brown shirt and tie set in Matalan in 2006 and I still wear it to work now. It's literally the only thing I've ever bought from Matalan but if all their clothes last ten years I'd probably consider a membership.