aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Comings and Goings

14 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

Weird the Holburn Junction one closed down, I assume it was pretty busy with schoolkids and the like.

Any inside info, IT?

Yeah I used to work up on Albyn Terrace and took a jaunt down to that one for my lunch from time to time. It you timed it badly you couldn't get near it for all the kids from Albyn and St Margarets. Probably Grammar as well. 

45 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

Weird the Holburn Junction one closed down, I assume it was pretty busy with schoolkids and the like.

Any inside info, IT?

In order to conduct an autopsy we need to first differentiate the franchises. The Back Wynd was operated standalone from the rest which are owned by a big franchise company which own all in Aberdeen and Dundee except Back Wynd.

First lets investigate the Holburn Junction branch. This was the first in the city opening in 2004 and in recent times was looking quite tatty. I am not actually sure but I think the new one next to the Music Hall was designed to replace it and relocate to a new more central location. When the Holburn one closed it had a sign in the window saying "closed for refurbishment". This has since been taken down. This of course may not be true since it might have been an independent franchise too but I really don't know. Social Bite have opened next door but probably unconnected to closure since it opened after Subway closed. I think it might been a relocation job.

The Back Wynd location is a confusing one since it always seemed to be busy especially at lunch time with the college students and Robert Gordon's/Grammar pupil's. It closed all of a sudden with everything still there now with no notice on the window or anything. Just closed and taken off the website. I really don't know why this one closed. Maybe the landlord raised the rent.

The new Union Street (Music Hall) location was busy with schoolkids when I was in. What really pisses me off is they never clean there shop. Rubbish all over the tables constantly. You would think they would have someone on the shop floor rather than all behind the counter.

With those 2 closed the first and second respectively that were opened in the city. The oldest Subway in Aberdeen will now be I think North Deeside Road, Cults. I might be wrong on that.

It's a shame that the Back Wynd location closed since it was nice and friendly. The people who own the other ones and not nice people and they don't treat their staff nicely. I have a friend on the inside and sometimes does not get his contracted hours.

Edited by Improved Thinker
  • Upvote 4

Just thinking I did the same with Starbucks but this might be useful. You can find Subway at:

198 Union Street, Union Square, Robert Gordon's University (closed Sat-Sun), University of Aberdeen (closed Sat-Sun), North Deeside Road, Cults, Tesco Danestone, Clifton Road (inside Spar), Byron Square (Inside Spar), Kincorth (Inside Spar), Jesmond Drive (next to Asda), Torry (Inside Spar), Mastrick Shopping Centre (Inside Spar).

Banchory High Street, Inverurie Town Centre, Peterhead, Portlethen, Westhill and Stonehaven (Inside Spar).

43 minutes ago, Improved Thinker said:

In order to conduct an autopsy we need to first differentiate the franchises. The Back Wynd was operated standalone from the rest which are owned by a big franchise company which own all in Aberdeen and Dundee except Back Wynd.

First lets investigate the Holburn Junction branch. This was the first in the city opening in 2004 and in recent times was looking quite tatty. I am not actually sure but I think the new one next to the Music Hall was designed to replace it and relocate to a new more central location. When the Holburn one closed it had a sign in the window saying "closed for refurbishment". This has since been taken down. This of course may not be true since it might have been an independent franchise too but I really don't know. Social Bite have opened next door but probably unconnected to closure since it opened after Subway closed. I think it might been a relocation job.

The Back Wynd location is a confusing one since it always seemed to be busy especially at lunch time with the college students and Robert Gordon's/Grammar pupil's. It closed all of a sudden with everything still there now with no notice on the window or anything. Just closed and taken off the website. I really don't know why this one closed. Maybe the landlord raised the rent.

The new Union Street (Music Hall) location was busy with schoolkids when I was in. What really pisses me off is they never clean there shop. Rubbish all over the tables constantly. You would think they would have someone on the shop floor rather than all behind the counter.

With those 2 closed the first and second respectively that were opened in the city. The oldest Subway in Aberdeen will now be I think North Deeside Road, Cults. I might be wrong on that.

It's a shame that the Back Wynd location closed since it was nice and friendly. The people who own the other ones and not nice people and they don't treat their staff nicely. I have a friend on the inside and sometimes does not get his contracted hours.

Oh Subway Cults :( I have this really weird thing with Cults, I used to go out with a girl who lived there and when we first started dating I spent a lot of that summer hanging out with her in Cults. It  was one of those long hot summers where the days seem to go on forever, we'd go walking around the village and the countryside in the sunshine, and I have such great memories of it that I've kind of deified Cults as this place where the sun never stops shining and the birds never stop singing and theres nonstop new relationship sex. Subway Cults is my Pizza Hut Union Street. Of course inevitably winter follows summer and she left me for some dick, but that didn't happen in Cults. Don't show my wife this.

Edited by Lemonade
  • Upvote 6

screen-shot-2015-08-24-at-9-27-02-pm.png

"North Deeside Road? Ah, yes, North Deeside Road. I once knew a girl who lived on North Deeside Road. Long time ago, when I was a young man. Not a day passes I don't think of her and the promise that I made which I will always keep. That one perfect day on North Deeside Road. That's uh, five blocks up, two over."

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

Actually when did Subway Cults open? There's a fair chance I'm remembering this wrong and Subway Cults wasn't even there.

Interesting question. Well I mulled it over and I thought 'How will I find out?' well I thought Sandwich shop, oh yes. They will have needed to file planning permission with the council to change the use of the unit.

So I searched the Aberdeen City Council planning application search which is available to everyone online and I discovered the following:

Subway Back Wynd opened in late 2004. Having previously been a Chalmers bakery.

Subway Holburn Junction opened in Mid 2004. Having previously been various insurances places. It gets interesting though later in the year they applied to open Sunday - Thursday 9am-11pm and Friday and Saturday until 2am. This was approved but the next year they changed it to remove late opening at the weekend. Did anyone ever see Subway open that late?

Subway Cults opened at some point in 2007.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Improved Thinker said:

Interesting question. Well I mulled it over and I thought 'How will I find out?' well I thought Sandwich shop, oh yes. They will have needed to file planning permission with the council to change the use of the unit.

So I searched the Aberdeen City Council planning application search which is available to everyone online and I discovered the following:

Subway Back Wynd opened in late 2004. Having previously been a Chalmers bakery.

Subway Holburn Junction opened in Mid 2004. Having previously been various insurances places. It gets interesting though later in the year they applied to open Sunday - Thursday 9am-11pm and Friday and Saturday until 2am. This was approved but the next year they changed it to remove late opening at the weekend. Did anyone ever see Subway open that late?

Subway Cults opened at some point in 2007.

Oh. Then I don't care about Subway Cults. I must have gone there with another girlfriend. Awkward.

Nice detective work by the way. 

Edited by Lemonade
  • Upvote 1