aberdeen-music

Aberdeen-Music Jukebox Jury

Brian McGee - Ruin Creek

I dig McGee's band, Plow United, so I was interested to hear this, and a little intrigued, as McGee's vocals aren't what really stand out in Plow United. They're a scruffy punk band, with bare bones 3 chords and pretty basic vocal melodies.

On first listen, this didn't absorb me. There were a couple of songs that made me cringe a little bit. 'Born in the morning' tries a Billy Bragg-style distorted guitar and vocal delivery, but I didn't think it was convincing. It sounds like the intro to a song that never starts. The a capella 'Are you going to wait for someone to die?' felt a bit awkward. On 2nd listen, I skipped the track halfway through, as it just sounds like an isolated vocal track, and isolated vocal tracks always sound weird. That said, three tracks in particular stood out to me. 'It's alright' is one of the more gentle tracks on the album, and surprisingly I think it's one of the strongest. The harmonies help, which there aren't enough of on this record. I don't think his vocals are strong enough to carry a whole record on his own. He should harmonise more. 'A little space' doesn't sound like anything on the album, and that grimy bluesy guitar crunch adds to the brooding mood of the track. Lastly, 'Hand in Hand' is my favourite of the lot. Jaunty rhythms, more luscious harmonies and his vocals have a higher register, where I think McGee sounds much more comfortable.

An okay listen, but a lot of it sounded very middle-of-the-road to me. In terms of punk band frontmen going acoustic, I think there's a lot better out there. 2 and a half outta 5.

Marc Benevento - Swift

I didn't get this on first listen. I sort of sat there just thinking "What on earth am I going to say about that?". On second listen, it sort of fell into place. I knew what to expect and could appreciate it a little more. It's not really like anything I listen to, so I'm out of my comfort zone attempting to break it down, but as ca_gere has said, it has an enormous rhythm to it throughout. The drums sound big and boomy The bass is quite visceral sounding on it's own, but it blends into the layers and layers of instrumentation. It makes my headphones swell with the driving low-end, and it's quite 'heavy' record, without really sounding heavy (or maybe it's just because I'm listening to at maximum volume). I didn't feel like it had a stand out moment. There wasn't a hook or a chorus that made me go "fuck yeah", but as a whole, it's solid from top to bottom. It's probably something I will revisit and listen to again. 3 and a half outta 5.

Honeyblood - Honeyblood

Another one that was new to me. Had a quick research about them as I listened. I was surprised that they're only a two piece after hearing 2 or 3 songs before knowing that. It's a nicely layered record, and it sounds 'big'. Perhaps it's an ultra-lazy comparison, because they're a two-piece, but I got a Japandroids vibe from this on a few songs, without the massive fuzz guitars, a little slower for the most part, and girls instead of boys, obviously. Songs like Killer Bangs especially, which is all about the splashy drums and totally righteous vocal melodies. That was definitely my favourite track on the record, though they seem to mostly steer away from the more jaunty, triumphantly melodic jams. It stands out like a single. Was it a single? It should be.

A great sounding record overall. The vocals sound incredibly accomplished, the drums are huge and woolly, and the guitar is deliciously jangly without being squeaky clean. It sounds so good, I think I might even buy the LP. 4 outta 5.

Brian McGee - Ruin Creek

I fucking adore this shit. Punk frontmen going acoustic is one of my favourite things. This wasn't a great record and it's nowhere near the quality of the likes of Chuck Ragan but it's still a record I enjoyed a lot and will listen to again. That being said, there weren't any particularly standout tracks or hugely memorable moments, just a record that I really enjoyed hearing from start to finish.

Marc Benevento - Swift

This is the best record that I've ever hated. It's well produced, well written and the effects and the sounds all come together well to make a really pleasing atmospheric sound... I just can't stand it. I tried to get straight through this record 4 times and couldn't.  Every time I find myself thinking "oh fuck I'm so bored of this record, it must be nearing the end" and it's only on track 3. Good stuff, done well, just not my bag at all.

Honeyblood - S/T

A little more indie-pop than I usually go for in a lot of places, but I dig it. Melodic, harmonic, nice and crisp and clear while still having a fuzzy warmth. Almost has a 90's grungin' feel to it in places like in Choker. Really solid record, enjoyed it hard.

xx

Brian McGee - Ruin Creek

Lets start on a positive note. I liked "It's Alright". The first two tracks had me on the fence and when this one came on I thought there was a chance this album had something going for it. Sadly then came a run of songs which I just could not stand. "Are you going to wait for someone to die" is so bad I had to turn the whole thing off. I gave the album a second chance to be fair and just skipped past that one. My second listen to the first half didn't do anything to change my opinion, except I probably hated "It's time to move" even more. The tracks I didn't get to first time round weren't really worth going back for. "My Wheels Are True" is another contender for worst track on the album. 

I guess I should try to say what it is I don't like exactly about it. The easiest thing to point out is his voice. The whole album seems to be relying on the emotion in his voice (there's certainly nothing interesting about his guitar playing and the melodies are instantly forgettable) but I think the word Kristen used, insincere, is the best description for how it comes across to me. 

No offence to whoever picked this but it's not my cup of tea. It's the wrong cup of tea with salt added to it instead of sugar. 

Marco Benevento - Swift 

Unfortunately I can't review this properly as I couldn't find a working stream or download. I wish I had because what I have been able to listen to is good. I've listened to some of the album tracks on youtube, although most were live not studio versions. I'm not completely sold on it but even the weaker tracks make me want to listen again. The absolute highlight is "witches of ulster". Those synths are perfect and it's his best vocal performance too. I think his voice works better when it is more restrained like this, rather than the way they're just a little too prominent in "The Show". I will keep looking for a good download of the album and if there's more like that track it will become a favourite of mine. Finding one track I like that much makes this whole thing worthwhile. 

Honeyblood - Honeyblood

This is okay, it's a bit of a case of style over substance for me. I like their general sound but I don't think there are any real standout songs. It's just a constant stream of 6/10s. I think they could probably make a much better album than this and hopefully they will. 

Brian McGee- Ruin Creek

Some of this I liked, some of it I didn't. At times a bit disingenuous, but with a few glimpses of properly good heartfelt songwriting. The album itself sometimes comes across as a set of demos for a band to learn to a real album, which is a shame.

2.5/5

Marco Benevento - Swift

Witches of Ulster is a belter of a track! I was surprised that I liked this album so much, as there are some disturbing dalliances with jazz and calypso. The production is so lush, but not overtly so. 

4/5

Honeyblood - Honeyblood

A band that definitely show their influences. It would be fair to say that this is a debut album that apes the band's live set, so it is a pretty direct album. I really enjoy indie rock like this and I'll be very interested to see what they do next. It's not the most inspiring of debut's, but it the band are brimming with potential.

3.5/5

I wanted to listen to these three again but I ran out of time. I enjoyed bits of all of them.

Brian McGee

Would be better as full band songs, was ok though - wouldn't go out of my way to find it but probably wouldn't skip it.

Mark Benevento

I thought I would like this better, but it got too close to bland jazz for me.

Honeyblood

I like 90's indiepop, so I like this - haven't seen them live yet but I will make an effort to see them soon. Not a classic but definitely worth a listen.

Overall I preferred the records from last week, but these were ok too :) 

I reckon:

Honeyblood - Girl Anachronism or Kirsten

Mark Benevento - ca_gere

Mark Mcgee - Woodsinho (if he's in this record listening gang thing, if not then no idea)

Edited by colb

You knows it.

Brian McGee - 'A Man And A Guitar' songs have to have something really special going on to keep my attention and this had nothing special going on. I listened to it a few times last week and I legit can't remember any of the songs now. The only time it really engaged me was when I was listening on Spotify and that was because it ran over to his previous album which featured a full band. Get your drummer back, you dolt! I didn't pick it. I'd have picked something good.

Mark Benevento - I like it. It's breezy. The shuffling drums and almost woozy sounding piano work well together with the production that puts me in mind of Doves in some places (specifically No One Is To Blame) and old Daft Punk in others (If I Get To See You At All - though that may be more due to my lack of other references in this musical area). I'd put it in my ears again. Maybe I like jazz. Huh.

Honeyblood - I went into this sceptical thanks to comparisons I'd seen to various 90s indie bands that I don't care much for. I'm not usually keen on the jangly, reverb laden guitars that seem to be popular at the moment but this had enough crunch to put that out of my mind. The vocals are ace and the instrumentation is sparse without becoming too empty. Good. Very good.

• Upvote 1