aberdeen-music

Alternatives to an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi

I am sure many of you guitar folk will agree with me that the Big Muff is one of the best sounding distortion/fuzz pedals out there. But a sad day looks to have occurred in terms of my pedal board - my early 2000's NYC reissue Muff is decreasing in volume. I suspect that this could be due to old or over-used components. I've gigged this pedal a lot over the years! 

So this means that I am in the market for something to replace it. I do like the sound of my NYC reissue, but as with so many EH pedals, each iteration of the Big Muff sounds so different, so it's a gamble to buy the newest small box equivalent. Plus, there are a million small boutique builders out there.

What do people like? I'm keen on something that isn't too fizzy and has lots of sustain and low end. This is for Seas, Starry as I'm all about my Dream Box for Das McManus.

Tempted to go for North Effects due to their excellent value and build quality.

North make lovely things, I also like Fredric Effects: www.fredric.co.uk - their Harmonic Percolator is ace, would guess that their fuzzes will also rock.

There's this chap as well: www.raingerfx.com - Son of Freakenstein looks up your street.

Or stick with Mike and get him to build you something?

Those Fredric effects look very nice, the raingerfx website is inaccessible at my work. I will have to peruse some videos when I get in.

It might be a shout to chat to Mike, it all depends on cost. 

Edited by Jan

If I was to replace my Muff, I'd probably get a Fuzz war.

I got Flights one when I was on holiday - It's a beast of a fuzz. I prefer the Muff kinda tone, the Fuzz War's a lot more distorty rather than smooth sustain - but it's a great sounding pedal.

Hella expensive over here compared to the alternatives though.

• Upvote 1