aberdeen-music

Quick money questions

James Broonbreed

Yes, the increase in the value of a share is a capital gain (same way the increase in the value of a property is a capital gain) so when you go to sell that property or that share, you are eligible to pay tax on that increase. You really need to be selling a lot of shares, or shares which have undergone a significant increase in value since you bought them, before you'll go over your threshold.

There will be other costs associated with selling, depending on how you do it.

Aye, I see that now. This time of day on a Sunday any .gov web page is just a blur.

Aye I'd obviously check with a pro before doing anything. But from what you've told me, and what I've understood of it, selling shares within 5 years doesn't automatically make you a complete fucking idiot who likes chucking money away.

Cheers again, mucker.

• 3 weeks later...

Oil price is below $70 a barrel now - probably not a bad time to buy some as they'll be falling.

Petrofac will clear of the nightmare of Laggan Tormore soon enough and that should help their share price.

The contractors are probably the best place to be buying shares right now anyway, whatever happens things will still need maintained and they'll be around for all of the decommissioning  - so it doesn't matter who's right about oil reserves in terms of long term work for these companies.

Just my opinion though, not really based on anything apart from that. 

Hard to say with share prices because there are a lot of factors, but the low oil price just now is a major one. From what I understand, itcomes from a combination of the US production being quite strong and some of the more volatile countries having not dropped their production levels as much as people had expected. Thus, there's no shortage of supply and with manufacturing in many places having not recovered from the financial crisis, there's less demand. It's caused all kinds of problems for Russia already and their currency dropped sharply yesterday before recovering a bit. For any oil and gas companies, high share prices are predicated on high oil prices meaning that they make massive profits and have plenty to return to shareholders in dividends, so I'd say that while the oil prices stay low, I wouldn't expect to see those jump up that much.

Low share prices also make companies volatile to takeover but that seems to be something that hasn't happened much lately.

• 1 month later...

My shares are purchased pre-tax, therefore I'd be eligible for income tax? capital gains tax?

Sounds like you are talking about a share incentive plan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Share_Incentive_Plan

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-1689905/Company-Share-Incentive-Plans-SIPs.html

Seems to be income tax and NI if sold within 5 years but nothing after that.