aberdeen-music

Sleater-Kinney Return

KarmaTsunami

IT IS VERY EXCITING NEWS. 

Apparently there are more dates to be announced, but I'm guessing they will probably be West Coast US dates as Portland/Seattle/LA are conspicuous by their absence from the above list.I don't think they'll add more UK dates. Possibly more European dates though.

I hope they sell out the venue, but it'll be weird seeing them there as the last time they played Glasgow back in 2006 they played the Oran Mor. Wild Flag played only a few years ago and that was the Oran Mor too. Either way I'll see y'all down the front.

I have a lot of very fond memories of listening to Sleater-Kinney between 1998-2003; they definitely helped shaped who I am and tidied up some of my attitudes. I'll try to get to the Glasgow concert, but I fear it will sell out before I get the disposable cash for a ticket.

New album too. Decent.

TICKET ACQUIRED. Let support band/set-list speculation commence. I thought maybe Ex-Hex, but they're playing Broadcast in February so probably not.

As to set-list, I'm curious which older tracks they'll play. Carrie's being talking about how they've gotten back into the song-writing process:

We had no desire to revisit sounds and styles and paths we had treaded before. But in order to move forward, Corin and I worked together in a way that was more reminiscent of earlier albums like Dig Me Out. Meaning that we would write just the two of us and then bring songs to Janet later on in the process. I think we had to go back to an earlier model of writing in order to reacquaint ourselves with the language of the band. It's a sonic vernacular that isn't easily translated into other contexts in which we've played. This was a very deliberate writing process, there were many edits and iterations of the songs. We thought a lot about melody and structure.

Wonder how this will feed into rehearsing the back catalogue. Honestly, I'll probably be happy no matter what they play, but my two favourite albums of theirs tends to swing between Dig Me Out and The Woods so as long as they play a couple from both I'll be made up. 

What are folks thoughts on the new song Bury Our Friends? I was ecstatic when I first heard it so I wasn't really being subjective, probably still not being very subjective but I'm going to try and write a review of it for the weekend so I'll have to try.

Edited by KarmaTsunami

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This was last night - I had a fucking great time.

It was absolutely brilliant. Great set. Corin coming on and going full front woman for 'Gimme Love' was amazing. 'Little Babies', 'No Rock and Roll Fun', 'I Wanna be your Joey Ramone', 'Dig Me Out'....too many highlights. My voice is still wrecked. 

• Upvote 1